Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11228 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
Agree but new coach or not we have majority of the list you just can’t count on. We swap every week average footballers for other average footballers.

I reckon I could name 10 blokes today who hard on today don’t deserve a game next week yet who comes in for them apart from TDK who gives you any great confidence they will improve us.

I'm not blaming him, I think the whole coaching panel and list management have questions to answer. Why are we omitting blokes and making them sub?

SPS dropped then made sub, played 2 part games with limited time and dropped again? WTF?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
We've too many beginners playing @ElwoodBlues1‍, those clubs that consolidate generally do so with a stable list of guys who are 50 to 100 games. We've a 1/4 of the team that are still in their 1st season together, they need 2 or 3 full seasons together to be reliable.

The Dees are a good example of that, mostly the same team that ran with last season and the bulk were there the season before that!

I agree having a stable list helps, we dont have a settled lineup and are still mucking around organizing deckchairs rather than
game plans/style. eg Melb had 3-4 targets and we had one, injuries have robbed us of players and time to construct a team.
No use sacking coaches, we just need more time and luck with players and its going to be uncomfortable viewing for a while...

Reply #32
I agree having a stable list helps, we dont have a settled lineup and are still mucking around organizing deckchairs rather than
game plans/style. eg Melb had 3-4 targets and we had one, injuries have robbed us of players and time to construct a team.
No use sacking coaches, we just need more time and luck with players and its going to be uncomfortable viewing for a while...

Yay.

Reply #33
Can anyone confirm the max number of unanswered goals Melbourne kicked today ? I think it was 3, but it's hard to check.

Reply #34
I'm not blaming him, I think the whole coaching panel and list management have questions to answer. Why are we omitting blokes and making them sub?

SPS dropped then made sub, played 2 part games with limited time and dropped again? WTF?
I bet this is more about who is or isn't doing what at VFL level, rather than purely looking after the AFL group.

I would have to say on Gibbons and SPS that neither deserved a spot this week, but maybe the VFL kids aren't ready either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I bet this is more about who is or isn't doing what at VFL level, rather than purely looking after the AFL group.

I would have to say on Gibbons and SPS that neither deserved a spot this week, but maybe the VFL kids aren't ready either!

Well both of their form without a doubt is better than WIlliams so why was he in?

Why are playing 6 half back flankers?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36

Yeah I do see your point as the coaching and selection decisions can make you wonder. SPS is one of those players we as fans get very frustrated with then when he finally loses his spot we can be critical on how he is treated. He is one of those guys who we want in the team then when he plays an average game he is the first most want dropped.   I used to like SPS but he like many more has had his time to shine and still produces sub par levels so his current position is overdue and maybe not everyone's cup of tea but he put himself in this position. 

Reply #37
Can anyone confirm the max number of unanswered goals Melbourne kicked today ? I think it was 3, but it's hard to check.
First one just before half-time.
First 3 of the 3rd quarter.

Reply #38
Positives

I thought for a 1st game back against the top side Newman was OK, yet he looks like he needs a few games so I hope he'll get better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Just a question
Does anyone think we learnt anything today that we didn't already know?

I think today was pretty much a 'nothing' day?
No progress, but no backward steps either.
The margin wasn't huge, but we were probably saved a bit in that respect by their comparable inaccuracy and the weather.
We probably won't feature heavy in football discussions this week as most of it's been done to death. 

(Just want to add that Melbourne were nothing special and some of their lairy high handpasses smacked of an arrogance that would be belted out of them by some sides. )

Reply #41
Positives
I thought for a 1st game back against the top side Newman was OK, yet he looks like he needs a few games so I hope he'll get better.
I'll add another one. Stocker got a start up forward and had a fair bit of on-ball time which was good to see. While he was a bit sloppy at times I thought he did OK also and I think they should persist with this for a little while and see what he's got. If only for the mongrel he shows at the aggot.

Reply #42
It was another poor effort. POOR as a team, so many total absolute passengers.

Some will say we competed hard....

Tell me which of the Dees burned, even briefly, today?

Not Gawn, not Petracca, not Oliver or even Salem.....yet we were miles away.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
Richmond, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs and Melbourne flexed their muscles when they had to against us. Don't let the score lines fool you, we were never ever going to win those games.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
Any word on Cuners?

No word but did not look good. In great pain on the ground and then was able to walk off. Hate to say most likely an ACL. Poor guy can not take a trick, just as he was building some momentum.