Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
Agree with a lot of that but....
Today showed that while we might get players back in the coming weeks there is also a very good chance we'll lose some as well.
More of a chance if some of these 'niggly' injuries get worse because players attempt to play through them.

I hear ya, and its somewhat true.

Injuries have a tipping point....once you reach a critical point, you are more likely to get more.

However, some of our injuries have been relatively long term....or uber long term in Charlies case.
Mainly i'm talking blokes like Newman, been missing for 2 years basically.
TDK will surely be an in next week, he's missed plenty of football as well.
Then you have Fisher and Martin who can't be too far away, they both suffered 6-weekers.

Thats 4 without even trying.
We'll have SOJ back....and probably lose him again... ::)

Carroll has been missing for a large part of the year and will play a game soon enough.
Kemp has been missing since he got to the club and can't be too far away.

Towards the 2nd part of the year we might get Charlie, Gov and Oscar back.

Yes, we've lost Cunners. Someone will probably do a hamstring or a calf and be missing for 3-4 weeks as well. Thats fine, i accept that.

Overall, we've had some long term injuries that are coming to an end and are starting to sprinkle back in.

We couldn't possibly have worst luck than we've already had.

Reply #61
But we have been saying this for twenty years, and this year just adds to the misery.

Despite many first round picks we have an unbalanced list clogged with players just going through the motions - no passion and little ability.

Where are the forward coaches?  Again today, as in so many matches, it was a case of bombing the ball from the forward 50 metre arc.  It doesn't work but we keep doing it.

Just another wasted year with the Club producing the same old same old.

The list needs work and decisions made on the way ahead, we need a reset of sorts but we also need stability. No coach is going to make us top 4 without our best team on the park, plus some more top end talent which includes Charlie Curnow back and firing.
Teague needs better assistants, all good successful coaches have good successful assistants, and we need a review of the high performance area and medical team too, there isnt anything too high in performance how we run out games and manage injuries IMHO. We dont look as fit as other teams and carry too many banged up players from year to year....

Reply #62
More confirmation rather than learning anything new.

To me it confirmed that we are not that far away. Hear me out.

1. Dees are unbeaten this year, so losing to them is no shame
2. Dees defence has kept opposition sides to an average of 61 points for so far this season. We exceeded that, with Harry having 1 arm, injuries to probably 4 other starting forwards (Martin, Fisher, Curnow, Silvagni) and did so mainly in pouring rain.
3. We played poorly, but still only lost by less than 5 goals. We have a knack of doing this...staying in games. What happens when we get players back and start to click.
4. We are doing all of the above with Cripps being a liability. Previously its been solely because of Cripps.

So.....with all the negative about us, injuries, playing poorly etc etc....we simply will not die, will not go away. What happens when we shed some of that negativity? What happens when we can pick a side that we want to pick, not a side that is thrust upon us because of injuries.

We are 1 step away from winning ugly. Thats when teams rocket up the ladder. If you play poorly and win.

Krudd,

I respectfully ask that you stop been so positive and thoughtful on your assessment of the state of our beloved club. I like some of the other members of this forum do not have the foresight, knowledge or positivity to see the good or the light at the end of the tunnel like your good self.

I am a mere mortal and personally after the last 20 years of crap and promises that our club has dished out i feel, after another almost win, a sense of disappointment, blackness and frustration on, why am I doing this to myself, until I read your posts. And then I think about what you say and I can see the light again. Its dazzling and bright, and I can almost touch it, its just out of reach and I'm stretching to reach it, and this is where the problem is, its killing me!!!

So please stop seeing all the good about the state of our club and let me wallow in my self pity and darkness that has enveloped me over the last 20 years so that I can stop hoping to see our club rise to the top of the ladder, play finals and add another premiership to our trophy cabinet at the good ship Princess Park. Have a heart and think of what your doing to me.  :)  :)

Reply #63
BTW, he has largely escaped any criticism this year, but i reckon Cottrell needs to lift.

He seems to have lost the manic pressure he's had. Last week and this week he seems to trail his opponent to the ball off the square where previously he'd get there first. Not sure if he's injured, or if the constant AFL grind is starting to take its toll, but he just seems a little off to me.

Perhaps he could've had a rest this week instead of Newnes or SPS who are more battle hardened.....or started as the sub instead of Gibbo.

Reply #64
It was another poor effort. POOR as a team, so many total absolute passengers.

Some will say we competed hard....

Tell me which of the Dees burned, even briefly, today?

Not Gawn, not Petracca, not Oliver or even Salem.....yet we were miles away.

Agreed ... if they had, the scoreboard would have been ugly.

Reply #65
I'll hang it out - and no doubt cop flak.

What message did it send to the playing group today picking Murphy (let alone off the back of constantly playing an injured Cripps)?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
Krudd,

I respectfully ask that you stop been so positive and thoughtful on your assessment of the state of our beloved club. I like some of the other members of this forum do not have the foresight, knowledge or positivity to see the good or the light at the end of the tunnel like your good self.

I am a mere mortal and personally after the last 20 years of crap and promises that our club has dished out i feel, after another almost win, a sense of disappointment, blackness and frustration on, why am I doing this to myself, until I read your posts. And then I think about what you say and I can see the light again. Its dazzling and bright, and I can almost touch it, its just out of reach and I'm stretching to reach it, and this is where the problem is, its killing me!!!

So please stop seeing all the good about the state of our club and let me wallow in my self pity and darkness that has enveloped me over the last 20 years so that I can stop hoping to see our club rise to the top of the ladder, play finals and add another premiership to our trophy cabinet at the good ship Princess Park. Have a heart and think of what your doing to me.  :)  :)

Sorry to string you along benny.  :-[

Maybe just skip over my positive posts from now on. You can probably read 99% of the other posts on here that will give you what you need, that negative, darkness that fosters your self pity.

Apologies.
 :-X

Reply #67
What message did it send to the playing group today picking Murphy..........................................

Because our ball use is average and he's one of the few decent distributors we have.

Because he has experience.

Because there's no one else, currently fit and available, that can do the job better.

Because the MC know more about football than we do.

Reply #68
BTW, he has largely escaped any criticism this year, but i reckon Cottrell needs to lift.

He seems to have lost the manic pressure he's had. Last week and this week he seems to trail his opponent to the ball off the square where previously he'd get there first. Not sure if he's injured, or if the constant AFL grind is starting to take its toll, but he just seems a little off to me.

Perhaps he could've had a rest this week instead of Newnes or SPS who are more battle hardened.....or started as the sub instead of Gibbo.
Have to agree...Cottrell is a limited player and has to make up the difference in regard talent with manic pressure as you suggest and had trouble with Langdon today who is a slippery player. His selection each week probably tells you more about how we are travelling and how other more rated players are travelling rather than Cottrell himself.
A player like SPS should be on that wing not Cottrell but the coach cant pick him because he cant trust him to work hard enough..

Reply #69
Because our ball use is average and he's one of the few decent distributors we have.

Because he has experience.

Because there's no one else, currently fit and available, that can do the job better.

Because the MC know more about football than we do.

The proof's in the pudding Paul.

I'll leave it at that.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
The proof's in the pudding Paul.

I'll leave it at that.
 sMurph was OK today, far from our worst.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
That's missing the point.
 It's easy to say we should bring someone else in, who based on the last VFL game?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
Yet people still want to pension off Betts.  NOT ONCE did he stop trying.   When someone else proves to be of better value, he remains on the list.

We are now certainly out of finals contention barring a miracle. 

Reply #74
It's easy to say we should bring someone else in, who based on the last VFL game?

Honey.

Fast, got mongrel.

Might even impact a game with 5 or so touches.

Murph (these days) gets touches in the teens, zero impact.

Reckon any Dees' player thought twice when they saw Murphy named?
Finals, then 4 in a row!