Skip to main content
Topic: Jim Park Voting: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 1495 times) previous topic - next topic

Jim Park Voting: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Voting is as usual: you have 15 votes to award pretty much as you will, with the following provisos:
[1] 15 votes in total, no more, no less.
[2] No more than 10 votes for any one player (even Cripps)
[3] Three players at least must get a mention.
[4] A grade for the game, A+ (what I want to see) to F-.

I am not confident.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Jim Park Voting: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Team:   C
I get terribly frustrated when we lose. It is really bad for my mental health. Unfortunately, at the moment we are not a contender. We don’t have the personnel, nor do we have the game plan. But I do like that we stick around and keep going. We were pretty good in a lot of respects, just not good enough.

A special mention for the umpires: I have never seen a guy stand up after doing 720˚, still wait, before dishing the ball off and not be penalized. Christian Salem did that 3 times during the 1 game, and not one Umpire could see that it was holding the ball. Not one. Harry McKay does not have a back. ‘Handballs’ over the head do not need any contact with the 2nd hand. These were also multiple event occurrences and led directly to Melbourne goals.
If I rated them as I rate our team, they would get an E at least.
They may not have been the reason we lost, but they sure made our task a damned side harder and inflated the margin.

Votes:
[2.5]   Sam Walsh
[2.5]   Patrick Cripps
[2]   Sam Docherty
[1.5]   Adam Saad
[1.5]   Nick Newman
[1]   Zac Williams
[1]   Ed Curnow
[1]   Matthew Cottrell
[0.5]   Lachlan Fogarty
[0.5]   Jacob Weitering
[0.5]   Liam Jones
[0.5]   Marc Murphy

Explanations:
[2.5]   Sam Walsh:   What can you say? This guy puts in every week. Brilliant with 30 possessions and 9 marks.
[2.5]   Patrick Cripps:      There were those who did not appreciate Crippa’s game this week. 27 possessions, 10 tackles and 7 clearances say it all, especially when we did NOT get first hands on the ball.
[2]   Sam Docherty:   Gradually lost influence, but his game was excellent.
[1.5]   Adam Saad:   Took Pickett to the cleaners. One of the best defensive games I have seen Saad play.
[1.5]   Nick Newman:      Excellent in defence.
[1]   Zac Williams:   Probably his best game for us to this point.
[1]   Ed Curnow:   Ed is another guy who puts in every week. He was very solid and made the play a lot.
[1]   Matthew Cottrell:   For a guy who did nothing in the U18 comp, Cottrell continues to improve and was excellent.
[0.5]   Lachlan Fogarty:   Has to be rewarded for the way he kept getting the ball, but his fumbles and turnovers were disgraceful. He has to work on that.
[0.5]   Jacob Weitering:   Two key defenders against 3 key forwards was never going to end well. But Jacob kept on working hard.
[0.5]   Liam Jones:   Two key defenders against 3 key forwards was never going to end well. But Liam kept on working hard.
[0.5]   Marc Murphy:   Solid job around the forward line with 4 clearances. Earned his money today.

Honourable Mentions:
Marc Pittonet:   Pitto kept trying like the big-hearted player he is. But he was beaten in the taps badly. Around the ground he was much better than his opponent, but he tires.
Lachie Plowman:   Plow didn’t have a big game, but he did a solid negative job.
Will Setterfield:   Setters wasn’t fantastic, but he was worth his place. It was nice to see both he and Stocker in the centre square.
Harry McKay:   H didn’t get a lot of ball, but he did manage 3 goals. He was interfered with in just about every contest, but couldn’t buy a free kick. When he did not get one of the most obvious push-in-the-back frees I have ever seen, the ball went directly to the other end where Melbourne scored a goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Team C-

Walsh 4
Cripps 3
Saad 3
Jones 2
Docherty 2
Curnow 1

FWIW, I though Liam Stocker showed a bit as well.  In the absence of anyone else putting their hand up as a decent midfielder, I would leave him there for a few weeks and see what he can deliver.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #3
Team : D

Walsh : 6
McKay :2
Cripps : 2
Jones : 1
Docherty : 1
Betts : 1
Curnow E* : 1
Setterfield : 1

* Deserved 2 votes because he really cracked in and gave his all, but loses one for giving Harry's right arm a nice old shove, even if it was well meaning. He needs to be more aware than that.

Reply #4

Team. C

5. Walsh
4. Curnow
3. Saad
1. Cripps
1. Docherty
1. Jones
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #5
Team:   C
 Harry McKay does not have a back.

To be fair - the really stand out H moment, was right on 3/4 time (on the 50, near the 50 marking), and i have to imagine the ump couldnt decide if it was blatantly over the shoulder, or blatantly in the back - so, he paid neither.  makes perfect sense

Reply #6
To be fair - the really stand out H moment, was right on 3/4 time (on the 50, near the 50 marking), and i have to imagine the ump couldnt decide if it was blatantly over the shoulder, or blatantly in the back - so, he paid neither.  makes perfect sense
Reminds me of the time Corey Enright spoiled Warnock by punching him in the side of the head, when the umpire called play on!

A week ago Betts brushed some spuds back barely with enough force to bend his fingers and got pinged!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Team. D

4. Walsh
3. Curnow
3. Betts
2. McKay
1. Docherty
1. Jones
1. Cripps

Reply #8
Team = C

4. Walsh
3. Docherty
2. McKay
2. Cottrell
2. Betts
1. Jones
1. Cripps

Reply #9
Team: C

5. Docherty
4. Curnow
3. Cripps
2. Walsh
1. Betts

Reply #10
Team D

4 walsh
3 Docherty
2 Cripps
2 Saad
1betts
1 Stocker
1 curnow
1 Mckay

Reply #11
Team E:

3: McKay
3: Walsh
2: Docherty
2: Saad
2: E.Curnow
1: Cripps
1: Weitering.
1: Cottrell

Reply #12
Team: D

5 - Docherty
4 - Walsh
3 - Cripps
2 - Curnow
1 - McKay
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
Team C

4 - Walsh

3 - Curnow

3 - Docherty

2 - McKay

1 - Betts

1 - Cottrell

1 - Cripps

HM: Jones, Weitering, Saad.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17