Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 9008 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
I'm warming to Stocker....his kicking can let him down but he cracks in really hard. Should be played every week from here on in either in the middle or as a lock down type.

Surely TDK comes in this week and I'd still keep Levi in and stretch them up forward.

Hopefully Silvagni slots straight back in for Cunningham.
 This is one of my big concerns about our club, as a junior this kids kicking was elite.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
LP we seemed to have made an art form out of bringing in talented youngsters and turning them into very average players or players with average skills.

Reply #17
LP we seemed to have made an art form out of bringing in talented youngsters and turning them into very average players or players with average skills.

We've been doing it for years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
I let out a cheer when I saw Stocker in the middle and paid close attention to his kicking, which I thought was passable, good decision making and you can't question his toughness around th eball.

One thing I was disappointed in was when he kicked his first goal, not many game over the celebrate with him, just makes me think, on the back of him leaving the bubble last year, is he a valued member of the club?

Reply #19
Thought exactly the same thing Raydan....was trying to remember if he'd kicked a goal previously or not but just assumed he had by the non-reaction of team mates.

Reply #20
I let out a cheer when I saw Stocker in the middle and paid close attention to his kicking, which I thought was passable, good decision making and you can't question his toughness around th eball.

One thing I was disappointed in was when he kicked his first goal, not many game over the celebrate with him, just makes me think, on the back of him leaving the bubble last year, is he a valued member of the club?

Yep i noticed that too. Very odd not a great look.  As you say he had a hard time last year and for only a few to get around him speak volumes. Surely the group is no that disconnected but makes you wonder as when was the last time a team 'forgets' to celebrate a young player kicking his first goal.  

Reply #21
Thought exactly the same thing Raydan....was trying to remember if he'd kicked a goal previously or not but just assumed he had by the non-reaction of team mates.
According to Twitter and AFL Tables it was his first AFL goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
I reckon not many knew it was his first AFL goal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Wasnt really his first goal, he kicked one for the opposition a week or two back...😉

Reply #24
They will be hauled over the coals by Clarkson for an inept loss to North, so we'll catch them with a point to prove, we'll come out and play the same way we always do, yet Clarkson will have devised a plan and will cut us up.

At least Teague will calm the members down in his after game conference by saying that's not how we want to play ::)

We need someone other than Harry that comes at the ball, Jack does but must be underdone after missing games, SPS does but has had confidence stripped away from him.

Actually when you consider what our forward line should look like with Charlie, Martin and McGovern all missing it's not wonder we can't kick a score. All three lead at the ball carrier, which would open up of forward 50 and give space to Harry and Eddie to operate.

Take McDonald, Brown and Fritsch out of Melbourne's forward line and let's see how they go.

Reply #25
^^

Kennett came out on SEN last week and stated that winning isnt a priority for them at the moment.  They will hit the draft hard this year and next year and aim to contend in 2023.

They let a winning lead go by conceding 4 in a row to North in the 3rd quarter.  My guess is that they will lose it as much as we will win it, because they are going the tank. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Out - Casboult, Plowman, Cuningham (inj)
In - De Koning, Silvagni, Durdin

Gibbons to the backline as a small defender.

Reply #27
Out - Casboult, Plowman, Cuningham (inj)
In - De Koning, Silvagni, Durdin

Gibbons to the backline as a small defender.
Gibbons needs to exit for a while, to get himself back to the football basics, we don't need a guy staging for cheap frees inside our D50.

While I appreciate why people want Durdin or Honey, it sends to the wrong message, they have been playing some nice cameos but neither has played 4 qtrs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Gibbons needs to exit for a while, to get himself back to the football basics, we don't need a guy staging for cheap frees inside our D50.

While I appreciate why people want Durdin or Honey, it sends to the wrong message, they have been playing some nice cameos but neither has played 4 qtrs.
I agree. Gibbo needs a few VFL games under his belt, where he is getting lots of ball and remembering the intensity he brought to the game when he first started. It didn't matter that he wasn't that quick then, because he wanted the pill. Very different at the moment.

I wouldn't be bringing Durdin in until he starts kicking a few more goals. As a small forward he isn't going to get 30+ possessions very often. I love his tackling and chasing and his (relative) pace. But he isn't going to get 30+ possessions in the seniors either, so her needs goals. I don't think he is far off it. He does some nice things, but if he is going to be the small forward we need, he heeds to kick a bag in the two's first.
I feel similarly about Honey. he is doing some nice things and making people notice him, but he hasn't had a bag yet. he works far enough up-ground that he can garner more possessions that he can in starvation corner, but I would still like to see some more.
Like Durdin, I don't think he is far off getting a game or three, but I wouldn't gift him one now.

We definitely need a medium forward to come in. I'd be tempted to upgrade Crocker, but for the fact that he leads and we ignore leads.
That actually really annoys me, as bombing the ball into the forward line, especially when it is packed, is just not thinking football. Yet we do it, especially when it isn't working.
Last week Melbourne had 3 tall defenders and 3 tall forwards. We had 2 tall forwards and 2 tall defenders. It was a recipe for disaster.
Our defence managed to contain 2 of the three Melbourne forwards, but McDonald hurt us.
Our forward line didn't take many marks because their tall defence always had the extra man up. It didn't matter of we had an extra small forward, because the ball was guided or marked. Using Gibbons or Owies as a marking target against May or Lever was just silly, but that was how it worked it. They played Petty on Levi and mixed and matched to deal with H.
Had we kicked the ball short to Lever's opponent, we could have totally embarrassed Melbourne. But we didn't, which made it easy for Lever and May.
Jack Silvagni would have been a better option, because he could compete against Lever body-wise. he is someone we do sometimes kick the ball to, and his desperation would keep the ball in our forward line.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
With respect to the Hawks, just apply heat on the ball carrier and Carlton will end up turning it over. The question is; can the Hawks then capitalise on our mistakes? If so then they will win. If not, we will stumble over the line.

I suspect Sam Walsh may be the difference in the end with composure under pressure, ability to play four quarters and just better all-round judgement. Clarkson will have problems tagging both Cripps and Walsh, while also winning the midfield. Who knows, maybe Zac Williams will produce something this weekend. I post in hope more than expectation.