Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 5614 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn

We have a poor record against Hawthorn this century. We need to change that, and today is a good time to start.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #1
We have a poor record against Hawthorn this century. We need to change that, and today is a good time to start.

Changed✅
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #2
Suppose it beats the crap out of an honourable loss.

If we didn't 5hit our pants against the Dogs we'd be sitting in the 8.

Reply #3
Use this thread now guys.

At least we got the 4 points - gutsy effort in the end.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Wins a win, we "out-disposal-efficiencied" them (73-72 I think).
There was a chain of disposals in that last that was just terrible, about 4 missed targets in a row. We have to tidy this up.
We also have to stop giving teams so much space.
Doc was very good today (at least what I saw).
S Walsh - 3 Votes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
 as bad as we were  a couple of good things came about, Stocker's  game was good , i think setters improved as the game wore on he still needs to put his body on the line though.   Silvagni's efforts were first rate.

Reply #6
Eddie kills it again.  So did Setterfield ... useless bloody lummox.

Reply #7
Take the 4 points but the game was substandard and we lived off a few of the Hawks kids mistakes like CJ giving us the ball back everytime he got it.
Its hard to think back to a worse Hawthorn team than this one running around today.
Walsh was our best by a long way and I though Wingard the same for the Hawks.
Hard to find too many other 4 quarter players, Mitchell got plenty of ball but did nothing with it, Omeara and Cripps seem to be a nil all draw and the rucks were also fairly even. Liked TDK's game in parts and it was handy to have him back, Eddie was dangerous as was Bruest and I thought Saad was one of our best even though he had a couple of goals kicked on him.
Williams got a few kicks but was just so so IMO, probably Weitering was our best player after Walsh and both him and Jones controlled their positions not that they had much opposition, didnt see much of either Lewis or Kositchke.
Wouldnt want to play like that vs the Swans though and I reckon Teague would be happy with a win but not so happy about how we won it...

Reply #8
Harry will benefit from successfully nailing a big moment 👏
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #9
The last time Carlton beat Hawthorn at the MCG was the day Sam Walsh was born — July 2, 2000.

Reply #10
Take the 4 points but the game was substandard and we lived off a few of the Hawks kids mistakes like CJ giving us the ball back everytime he got it.
Its hard to think back to a worse Hawthorn team than this one running around today.
Walsh was our best by a long way and I though Wingard the same for the Hawks.
Hard to find too many other 4 quarter players, Mitchell got plenty of ball but did nothing with it, Omeara and Cripps seem to be a nil all draw and the rucks were also fairly even. Liked TDK's game in parts and it was handy to have him back, Eddie was dangerous as was Bruest and I thought Saad was one of our best even though he had a couple of goals kicked on him.
Williams got a few kicks but was just so so IMO, probably Weitering was our best player after Walsh and both him and Jones controlled their positions not that they had much opposition, didnt see much of either Lewis or Kositchke.
Wouldnt want to play like that vs the Swans though and I reckon Teague would be happy with a win but not so happy about how we won it...

Seemed too happy to simply go along and play at their standard.

As a Carlton supporter won't knock a win though, even ugly.

Reply #11
Seemed too happy to simply go along and play at their standard.

As a Carlton supporter won't knock a win though, even ugly.

Their standard is woeful, talk about ugly scrappy footy, the Hawks were no chance to beat us but we were a good chance
of beating ourselves. When goals like that one of Howe's went through on half time you do think its possible we could lose to these duds but luckily we played a more decent brand in the last and they degenerated into more of a rabble than they were.
Cant see Clarko staying the journey till the Hawks turn it around, they need about three decent drafts to inject some talent into that team..

Reply #12
Clarkson has gone into scrappy game mode through necessity, crappy to watch but gives you a chance to pinch it at the end. We out scrapped them in the end. Very impressed by Stocker hard tough and even a little bit of arrogance better watching him running around than a few pea heart’s lately. I’d also keep Owies going is a reliable kick so doesn’t need many but chips in and even ran backwards into a pack in that last qtr

Reply #13
One of those game where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, but not in a good way. Foot on the pedal, foot off the pedal, brief glimpses of nice skills, but mostly Shemp, Larry and Mo. And somehow, 2 hours later, we emerge with a win. There was nothing particularly convincing about any of that, but I guess in today's race to the bottom, Hawthorn won.

I don't know why, but whenever we play an inferior team, we always seem to let them drag us down to their level of incompetence. You can clearly see the Clarkson method through Bolton. Damage limitation has its place in football, and sometimes you simply have to go there. But listening on the wireless, it I was at the game I'd be tempted to ask for my money back.

Reply #14
We just simply have to have players step up. Take responsibility for their errors, improve, take it on - grab a  game by the scruff and improve improve improve