Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 5600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
One of those game where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, but not in a good way. Foot on the pedal, foot off the pedal, brief glimpses of nice skills, but mostly Shemp, Larry and Mo. And somehow, 2 hours later, we emerge with a win. There was nothing particularly convincing about any of that, but I guess in today's race to the bottom, Hawthorn won.

I don't know why, but whenever we play an inferior team, we always seem to let them drag us down to their level of incompetence. You can clearly see the Clarkson method through Bolton. Damage limitation has its place in football, and sometimes you simply have to go there. But listening on the wireless, it I was at the game I'd be tempted to ask for my money back.
I wouldn't say money back, it was pretty quick, up and back but hard at it the same time. Players were knackered at the end, Sammy W just keeps finding a way to run his guts out under duress, half boy, half machine. Yes skills were ordinary at times, a lot of pressure from both sides.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
To be honest, I don't get the negativity.

Clarkson, smarting from last week's loss and desperate for a win, got his inexperienced boys to attack us at our weakness... fierce pressure, scrappy footy... but we absorbed it and came away with a win.

Had the Dawks bought that ferocity to last week's game against the Kangabies, they'd have won.

To me, that win had character and heart - no nice. We were fierce at the contest, limited them to 9 goals, and yes, there were mutual howlers but that happens in dour games.

Buoyed by Williams, Stocker, TDK and Saad.

H has a quiet day but still slots 2 critical goals.

Doc looks much better on a wing (and Williams much, much better off half back).

A number of other important positives as well: Owies, SOJ, Eddie turning back the clock, Murph's composure in the 3rd when needed and the relentless endeavour from Ed C.

Grinding out a win in a game like that can do much for confidence and morale... now to back it up.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
I wouldn't say money back, it was pretty quick, up and back but hard at it the same time. Players were knackered at the end, Sammy W just keeps finding a way to run his guts out under duress, half boy, half machine.

Yes, my "money back" partly tongue in cheek. I'd always happily pay if we win.

No Walsh and Weitering, and we'd be stuffed IMO. Walsh must be leading or very close to leading the Brownlow at this point, and maybe the MVP as well. A jet and a gun all rolled into one. I'm starting to have nightmares about him getting serious injury or running himself into the ground and being washed up by 25.

Reply #18
To be honest, I don't get the negativity.

Clarkson, smarting from last week's loss and desperate for a win, got his inexperienced boys to attack us at our weakness... fierce pressure, scrappy footy... but we absorbed it and came away with a win.

Had the Dawks bought that ferocity to last week's game against the Kangabies, they'd have won.

To me, that win had character and heart - no nice. We were fierce at the contest, limited them to 9 goals, and yes, there were mutual howlers but that happens in dour games.

Buoyed by Williams, Stocker, TDK and Saad.

H has a quiet day but still slots 2 critical goals.

Doc looks much better on a wing (and Williams much, much better off half back).

A number of other important positives as well: Owies, SOJ, Eddie turning back the clock, Murph's composure in the 3rd when needed and the relentless endeavour from Ed C.

Grinding out a win in a game like that can do much for confidence and morale... now to back it up.
Agree with all the that, the contest between Plow and JOM was as fierce as I have seen in a very long time, both players didn't back down one iota.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
From a poster on another forum.

"Just settling in to watch the replay.

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks."

Reply #20
Rozee's a twerp. We might choke at our end of the ladder, but at their end, they choke just as much, and are flat rack bullies to boot.

Reply #21
Teague absolutely sprayed them big time at half time focussing on the defensive aspects of our game as a team. Second half was different. 5.5 to 2.3 so obviously he got through to them.

Reply #22

Happened to be on the same flight as the Port Adelaide players/coaches from Adelaide to Melbourne today. When we took off we were 4 goals up. Landed and it was only a few points late in the third.

Saw Connor Rozee check the scores of our match the minute the plane landed and he turned to Alir Alir and said 'Carlton choking as usual'.

So there it is - from the horses mouth what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks."

Yes, we did... but, even when headed, we rallied and showed grit to take the lead, build on it and hold it. The boys will learn much more from a win such as that than any 'brave' loss. They experienced what it takes, the endeavour and relentlessness required. Backing it up is imperative.

Also good to see O'Keefe sitting next to The TT in the coach's box.

Reply #23

So there it is - from the horses @rse what we're thought of amongst the playing ranks." Who gives a rusty fck what Rozee thinks... fcknuckle.

Reply #24
I actually enjoyed the game as a spectacle.
Yep, there were some crappy skills from time to time (both sides guilty) but  there were also a lot of good things on display.

I think the most important thing is we get the side settled and get some games into them as a 'team'...with folks in their best positions ;)

Reply #25
I actually enjoyed the game as a spectacle.
Yep, there were some crappy skills from time to time (both sides guilty) but  there were also a lot of good things on display.

I think the most important thing is we get the side settled and get some games into them as a 'team'...with folks in their best positions ;)
 In past years we would always lose the tough physical ones, not anymore!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I thought Harry was a bit crowded at times today with some of our talls (Tom and Jack) getting in the way or flying' with him.

Reply #27
I thought Harry was a bit crowded at times today with some of our talls (Tom and Jack) getting in the way or flying' with him.
Yes, SOJ got in the way quite a bit, as did Tom at least twice, but BigH also got in the way a couple of times when he should have dragged his direct opponent away!

It's about games together in a stable setup.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
It's great to win but what a substandard game. From about the third minute of the third quarter to almost the end of that quarter both sides seemed to be in a race to show which side has the worst skills.

Despite having a cellar dweller list Hawthorn always looked dangerous in attack by going straight through the middle.

By contrast, in attack we always seemed to go to the flanks by default allowing the Hawks to pack the backline, and then we would further oblige them by kicking the ball on top of our forwards who on a number of occasions got in each others way.

Is Teague too afraid to go down the middle for fear of the ball rebounding because of our poor foot skills?

Whatever the reason, what we are doing now is so predictable and it will cause us trouble against sides better than the Hawks.

Reply #29
Ugly game by two bottom 8 teams. Thought we were going to crap the bed in the second half after they kicked the last 3 before half time and thd first of the third quarter to take the lead. However they dug deep, steadied and came away with the win, which as couple have said on here already was maybe a good sign and give them some belief and confidence.