Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 5601 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 10: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #30
H has a quiet day but still slots 2 critical goals.

He has that FF knack.  Play a shocker, but still snag a few.  Earlier in the year he had a couple of average games where he kicked 4.   Great to see!!!  Combine those with the days out where he kicks 7 or8 and we’ve got a champ

Reply #31
Sure isn't one for the video library.  Still a long way off the pace.

Reply #32
Standard gets diminished by the opposition. Got to watch the replay but first impressions were it was a slog and we won so good.

Reply #33
In past years we would always lose the tough physical ones, not anymore!

One of the most pleasing aspects for mine.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
I'm with @Lods‍ on this game.

I think sometimes fan judgement of good or bad is a bit coloured by scoring and this season some of the scoring has been berserk.

Despite the kicking errors I thought as a contest today's game was probably the most physical we've seen all season and a great style of game to watch. Tackling rewarded, contest after contest perhaps some of it due to poor disposal, but perhaps the brutality of the contest contributes some of the poor disposal.

Some will say that can't work against good sides, but attack good sides like that and you'll drag down their skills as well.

I'd say that is the fiercest I've seen a Carlton side tackle since Ratten was coach, to the despair of some even sMurph stuck some heavy tackles.

If things are too silky, too smooth, we probably say it's bruise free!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Geez I thought we were a bit scrappy today. We've got nuthin on the Aints. 110point demolition by the Dogs 😳
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
On the comment earlier about playing down to the oppo, like we've done so many times, it was almost as if we tried but were too advanced to manage to lose it that way. TT seems to believe it's between the ears and has to wait until the squad works it out coz it can't be forced. May well be the case. But he's a sitting duck til they do coz it's up to them. Gee I wish Cunningham hadn't have gone down. His emerging class and accuracy would have made such a difference on the score board and for confidence at just the right time.

Reply #37
I put up the scenarios in the pre game thread.

The one I backed played out.  A so so win, but it showed some character so happy to get the chocolates.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Of course happy for the win but let’s not forget it should’ve been done a d dusted by half time

Skill errors time and again let us down. Without all those it would’ve been an annihilation. They exhaust themselves trying to fix their problems they cause

Reply #39
Was at the game. A few observations

Poor quality skills by both teams but we looked to be the ones capable of another gear and we showed it towards the end of the game.

Best game I’ve seen Williams play as a blue. Still not at his best but his field kicking is pin point accurate and I can see exactly why we got him. Even when playing off half back he is a great asset and I’m comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Typical great games by Weiters and Walsh. Very lucky to have these 2 superstars at our club.

Stocker is a player. Has a big heart, never gives in and just keeps putting his head down by running hard till the final siren. He isn’t exactly being eased into the team either-is given tough opponents to man so when he makes an error it often results in a goal against but he doesn’t go into his shell and just cracks straight back in. This kid can play and deserves his spot.

I really hope others see how valuable Jack is to this team. Such a smart user just wish his teammates would take his lead and learn from him as he never just bombs the ball always looks up and makes really smart decisions.

Doc is getting right back to the same doc we had pre  knee injury. So rapt for him as he has had a bloody time over the last 3 years and this bloke deserves some recognition.

I know this is glass half full but Harry was quiet, Cripps still looks hampered, Williams will get better TDK first game back and once Martin and Fisher get back in we have a lot of upside. We are learning to win when we play average which while
It’s hard to see when it’s happening it is a good sign. Reckon apart from 2 1/2 quarts into the dogs game  we have not played anywhere near our best yet we are still within striking distance of the 8 and have a winnable block of games over the next month so may be in the eight by the bye.
Look at saints and then look at us - we are tracking ok.

Reply #40
Was at the game. A few observations

Poor quality skills by both teams but we looked to be the ones capable of another gear and we showed it towards the end of the game.

Best game I’ve seen Williams play as a blue. Still not at his best but his field kicking is pin point accurate and I can see exactly why we got him. Even when playing off half back he is a great asset and I’m comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Typical great games by Weiters and Walsh. Very lucky to have these 2 superstars at our club.

Stocker is a player. Has a big heart, never gives in and just keeps putting his head down by running hard till the final siren. He isn’t exactly being eased into the team either-is given tough opponents to man so when he makes an error it often results in a goal against but he doesn’t go into his shell and just cracks straight back in. This kid can play and deserves his spot.

I really hope others see how valuable Jack is to this team. Such a smart user just wish his teammates would take his lead and learn from him as he never just bombs the ball always looks up and makes really smart decisions.

Doc is getting right back to the same doc we had pre  knee injury. So rapt for him as he has had a bloody time over the last 3 years and this bloke deserves some recognition.

I know this is glass half full but Harry was quiet, Cripps still looks hampered, Williams will get better TDK first game back and once Martin and Fisher get back in we have a lot of upside. We are learning to win when we play average which while
It’s hard to see when it’s happening it is a good sign. Reckon apart from 2 1/2 quarts into the dogs game  we have not played anywhere near our best yet we are still within striking distance of the 8 and have a winnable block of games over the next month so may be in the eight by the bye.
Look at saints and then look at us - we are tracking ok.

Glad you highlighted Stocker, Shawny. No short steps with this kid... saw him engage in some argy bargy at times - love it. 2nd, 3rd efforts - there for all to see. Yep, some rough edges but they'll smooth out over time. Well done, SOS, you got this one right.

Stocker is the sort of bloke who will lift others around him with his 'no holding back' attack on the aggott or man.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
@Shawny
Like your positive interpretation of our  still error prone performances Shawn and I am, if not totally encouraged, prepared to await further improvement and gaining of more confidence and poise. As far as Cripps is concerned, while yet nowhere near back to his best, I thought he showed a bit more freedom in his movement this week and just maybe gaining back some of his elusiveness?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
@ Baggers

I too like the look of Stocker, he shows a lot of promise with a handy dash of mongrel.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
Agree 100% about stocker. There’s something tough about the kid and great assessment that even when something goes against him, he still keeps going and love a bit of argy he brings.

Is that cottrell and owies too? A bit of tough in these guys. Finally. Parkes has it too.

I’ll watch it again to see how it looks second time around and I concede I had ‘easy win’ in my mind before the game so maybe was watching it real time with that pov.

Reply #44
Stocker is physical and attacks the ball well which I like but played on Bruest who kicked three goals, had 13 touches so Stocker needs to pay more attention to his man if he is going to play down back.
I can't work out why he isn't in the middle helping Cripps and Walsh..