Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs the Box Hill (Read 5013 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs the Box Hill

Backs:  Brodie Kemp  Ed Delany  Cody Hirst
Half-backs:  Tom Williamson  Luke Parks  Cooper Stephens
Centreline:  Jack Carroll  Sam Petrevski-Seton  Sam Ramsay
Half-forwards:  Josh Honey  Ben Caluzzi  Jack Newnes
Forwards:  Corey Durdin  Ben Crocker  James Parsons
Followers:  Aaron Gundry   Lochie O'Brien    Matt Kennedy
Interchange:  Fraser Phillips   Ryley Stoddart    Matt Shannon  Tom North       
Emergency:   Dale Marshall    Lachlan Swaney

It is good to see Gundry back, as he has been OK so far, but the fact that he has no back-up is frightening. I don't know if Swaney or Marshall can ruck, but Delaney appears to be the only option.
It is good to see Kemp named. Hopefully, he can show something sooner rather than later.
Our overall lack of size bothers me, but we do have some talent out there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs the Box Hill

Reply #1
Kick off 12pm tomorrow, May 23, Ikon Park.

Reply #4
Is it possible it’s on free to air ?

The AFL website shows the Icon for Ch7 and 7+ next to the game, but no broadcast guide as such. It might be one of those "check your local guides" scenario.

Reply #5
Where is Dow?

Reply #6
Is it possible it’s on free to air ?

Yes, Channel 7/7HD from midday.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
 any word on how we went?

Reply #10
 doh pays to  read it correctly ..

Reply #11
At least the back half resembles a team with adequate height, the front half still midget.

The problem is the Hawks have named a very tall forward line (3 x 197, 1x 193) which means apart from Delany our backs will be giving away height. Nothing we can do about that so they will just have to play tall and try and run them off the feet on the way out. Issue I have with that is that only the silver fox Brooksby (and if/when he rests forward Ceglar) are traditional ruck types the rest are athletes.

And at the other end they have 1 genuine tall Hartley at 199cm who will have a field day if we bomb it long anywhere near him. So need to lower the eyes and hit targets - not necessarily our strong suit. My thinking is go the old Bombers style "U-shape" forward line where the nominal CHF (i'd have Parsons) pushes up the ground leaving the flankers (Honey/Calazzi) to stay out wide and a space for the FF (Crocker) to lead into. Kennedy plays FP as the long bail out and Durdin to crumb at his feet. If they have Hartley fill the space at CHB then Crocker needs to lead away from there or the ball carrier has to look elsewhere - at least Kennedy is a marking threat against the rest of their backline as named. If they push Hartley back onto Kennedy then he has to lead at the ball, at least it will have dragged Hartley away from the prime intercept marking spot.

In the middle I would expect Ceglar to have his way at the stoppages, and indeed Brooksby when given Ceglar a rest. I think probably all that can be done is to give a contest, rove to their ruck and try to use Gundry's athleticism to work off Ceglar away from the stoppages. I suspect we will have our work cut out for us given the Hawks tall timber.

Go Blues2s !

Reply #12
Where is Dow?

Hamstring tightness.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
Good to see SPS named in the guts. Train him up there and we might still be able to use him in the 1's.

Reply #14
Kemp has miles to get back, he looks slow and confused, like a player who hasn't played for a few years.

Also pretty lightweight for his size, lacks power compared to others, probably side effects or consequence of his injuries. We need to be patient and play the long term game.
The Force Awakens!