Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 12068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #150
There were a few tackles executed by the Swans with tackles that were at the top of the neck in a very "pressure point" type hold which I found interesting.

They were dirty/play on the edge. We are the nice team and nice teams rarely win flags.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #151
.....including whacking Stocker in the seeds
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #152
They were dirty/play on the edge. We are the nice team and nice teams rarely win flags.
[/quot

The hard bump on McKay in the first quarter also looked like it was an direction that any time they can hit him fairly on the shoulder go for it.

Cripps too was jumped into hard on his back more then a few times which he wasn’t happy about.

They play hard and play to win. Kinda wish our guys had the same hard nut mindset.

Reply #153

I'm intrigued by the persistence of this idea, but I'm not sure whether it persists in the minds of supporters, or whether it persists in actuality. If it's the former, I have nothing further to say. If it's the latter, I'd be curious to know why this is still an issue, given that I have been reading about this since I started on these forums more than 15 years ago. In that time, we have changed everything multiple times, and I'm wondering what we need to do eradicate it ?

Reply #154
I'm intrigued by the persistence of this idea, but I'm not sure whether it persists in the minds of supporters, or whether it persists in actuality. If it's the former, I have nothing further to say. If it's the latter, I'd be curious to know why this is still an issue, given that I have been reading about this since I started on these forums more than 15 years ago. In that time, we have changed everything multiple times, and I'm wondering what we need to do eradicate it ?
Change the recruiting criteria to allow for some players who enjoy the contest a bit harder but might not
be the right fit for Sunday School and the types who when they ask for their steak rare want it still kicking on the plate...
I dont think its any secret that a lot of the other clubs think we can be intimidated with a bit of physicality, not king hits but just that extra vigour in the contest or a push and shove until we capitulate.
Until we have players who can deliver and respond to that physicality we will be seen as weak and will have our better players targeted. I remember Cripps got targeted by both Jordan Lewis and Viney from Melbourne one game and none of our players did anything and were just too meek and mild. It sets a bad example and tells the other team if we go harder in the big moments the Navy Blue boys will just roll over.
Hope Harry McKay was watching Buddy....Harry is a nice guy, Buddy didnt get to the status he has being nice, dont think I have ever seen Harry lay a bump or doing anything remotely nasty.

Reply #155
Change the recruiting criteria to allow for some players who enjoy the contest a bit harder but might not
be the right fit for Sunday School and the types who when they ask for their steak rare want it still kicking on the plate...
I dont think its any secret that a lot of the other clubs think we can be intimidated with a bit of physicality, not king hits but just that extra vigour in the contest or a push and shove until we capitulate.
Until we have players who can deliver and respond to that physicality we will be seen as weak and will have our better players targeted. I remember Cripps got targeted by both Jordan Lewis and Viney from Melbourne one game and none of our players did anything and were just too meek and mild. It sets a bad example and tells the other team if we go harder in the big moments the Navy Blue boys will just roll over.
Hope Harry McKay was watching Buddy....Harry is a nice guy, Buddy didnt get to the status he has being nice, dont think I have ever seen Harry lay a bump or doing anything remotely nasty.

I guess the point I was making is that the personal pronoun "we" as it relates to the club, and as it relates to this topic, encompasses hundreds and possibly thousands of changes in every department, over the last 15 or 20 years. Hundreds of players, a few different recruiters, numerous senior coaches, assistant coaches, heads of football, recruiters, list managers, board members, presidents etc. Notwithstanding all this, the failures of the previous recruiter / coach / player etc., become part of the identity of the successor, since when someone fails, the successor defines themselves (at least in part) in opposition to what has come before. They don't copy each other, and they are chosen as successors precisely because they offer a point of difference to their predecessor. There is a specific attempt made to disconnect from the past and fix those errors. And yet across these numerous changes and attempts to fix the errors of the past, the niceness persists...............

Reply #156
MRO
Mills fined $1500 for whacking Stockers in the gonads.
Wicks fined $1000 for misconduct towards Weitering.
Buddy no case to answer despite making contact with Newmans head

"Contact between Sydney Swans’ Lance Franklin and Carlton’s Nic Newman from the second quarter of Sunday’s match, between the Sydney Swans and Carlton was assessed. The ball is kicked towards the Sydney forward line. Newman attempts to take possession of the ball at half forward. As Newman turns front on to gain possession of the loose ball, Franklin approaches and contact is made, including high contact. It was the view of the MRO that there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken."
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
MRO
Mills fined $1500 for whacking Stockers in the gonads.
Wicks fined $1000 for misconduct towards Weitering.
Buddy no case to answer despite making contact with Newmans head

"Contact between Sydney Swans’ Lance Franklin and Carlton’s Nic Newman from the second quarter of Sunday’s match, between the Sydney Swans and Carlton was assessed. The ball is kicked towards the Sydney forward line. Newman attempts to take possession of the ball at half forward. As Newman turns front on to gain possession of the loose ball, Franklin approaches and contact is made, including high contact. It was the view of the MRO that there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken."
It was dangerous what Buddy did and he should have been suspended...it was the old Champs call vs the no name player.

Reply #158
It was dangerous what Buddy did and he should have been suspended...it was the old Champs call vs the no name player.
Dangerous but no injury or impediment occurred. Having said that, weren't there some cases earlier in the year where the MRO used wording like "potential to cause injury"?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #159
I guess the point I was making is that the personal pronoun "we" as it relates to the club, and as it relates to this topic, encompasses hundreds and possibly thousands of changes in every department, over the last 15 or 20 years. Hundreds of players, a few different recruiters, numerous senior coaches, assistant coaches, heads of football, recruiters, list managers, board members, presidents etc. Notwithstanding all this, the failures of the previous recruiter / coach / player etc., become part of the identity of the successor, since when someone fails, the successor defines themselves (at least in part) in opposition to what has come before. They don't copy each other, and they are chosen as successors precisely because they offer a point of difference to their predecessor. There is a specific attempt made to disconnect from the past and fix those errors. And yet across these numerous changes and attempts to fix the errors of the past, the niceness persists...............

Never having enough of the right people all on the same page able to agree on whats right and being swayed by agendas, thats usually what stuffs up a good business IMHO from what I have seen over the years. So maybe its applicable to a football club that cant get its act together too...

Reply #160
Weak Christian,  really effing weak.   It's OK to give Plowman a holiday,  but what Buddy did was reckless and potentially way worse.   But then again, he's an untouchable and Plowman's just a nobody from that irrelevant club,  you know the one that the AFL uses to make examples of because they never kick up a fuss and just roll over and take it.

Stocker should have dropped Mills for that act.   What a weak,  gutless maggot.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #161
They want buddy to get to 1000 goals before he gets injured again. Was never getting suspended for an act that anybody else would. Want the media PR explosion of first aboriginal player to 1000. Which is on its own is a dam fine effort for a bloke who can’t mark above his head. Should have at least copped a fine though

Reply #162

You make some thoughtful points.  With Carlton I wonder whether it is a case this century of the tail wagging the dog.

Amongst all the changes to personnel you have listed and the different skills and attitudes they bring with them, there is one constant which must have affected their thinking and actions; namely, the failure of the Club for the past 20 years to provide a  competitive list with the ability to play in the final 4 or 6.

Especially in the early years nobody wanted to come to Carlton, despite the best efforts of our recruiting personnel.  That must have affected the morale of the players and staff alike and created a negative culture.

Imagine if we could turn on a magic switch and have a competitive list.  The old swagger would return, petty differences would be forgotten, the staff would be motivated and, most importantly, we would be seen as winners and a desirable club for top players to come to.

Until that competitive list is realised I fear we are going to rummage around in the bottom 6 for quite some time.

Reply #163
It just shows how disingenuous the AFL is over high contact, this sort of incident and the AFL's response will be the type of video evidence used in claims when the AFL goes to the wall over CTE!

Gil and his mates are just buying time to make sure they get their pension!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164
Brisbane have gone well past us but I'll reserve my opinion on Essendon.....still relying on unpredictable types like Stringer to win them games and I dont think Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Shiel etc are my idea of a finals winning midfield setup.

Yeah, lets not overreact to Cheats success yet.  Getting a lot of press, but you would expect that, with how many pro-Cheats media there are