Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 11587 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 11: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
It's just a joke how we refuse to try something different. Gibbons getting another game was ridiculous. Levi being bought back was ridiculous. Teague threw TDK into the ruck in the 3rd, got us going and then started Pitt at the centre bounce in the last. Ridiculous.
Newman was a disaster today.
Setterfield had about 10 good minutes.
Cottrell played well early and then dropped right off.
Owies quiet
Saad very quiet by his standards
Williams had patches but generally quiet.
Doc a shocker.
Fogarty a shocker.
Pitt just doesn't do enough. I'd rather just play TDK on the ball all game and if he needs a rest use a mid-size swap ala Richmond.
Stocker really had an average day but he gets creds cause he has some mongrel at least. Frankly I'd just play him in the guts
Where to go from here. I'd experiment with some guys. Time to see if they are really up to it.
Dow, if he isn't injured, should be played. Never should have been dropped in the first place.
Honey has been in the emergencies for 2 weeks. time he gets a run.
Kennedy has been way, way better in the VFL than Setterfield so why shouldn't he be given a run.
In fact the Kemp highlights from last week were enough for me. Throw him in.
I really don't know where we go from here.

Reply #31
Mate, not only them. 5 years ago Essenscum were last on the ladder and Brisbane were second last!! 4 years ago the Lions won the spoon. Now they're in contention for a flag while we languish in the same bottom 6.

If you embark on a massive, scorched earth rebuild, plus change 2 coaches in that time, plus change list manager twice, plus change CEO, plus change high performance manager, and all the rest, you end up with a club struggling for stability and continuity. Our players link up like Foreign Legionnaires because that's exactly what they are. You will not find anywhere near the number of changes at Lions or Bombers.

Reply #32
Jesus Kruddler. Are the official Carlton apologist?

If you refuse to acknowledge the crapness at all levels of the club, that's fine. But let others comment on what they see and to be honest what most see, bar you. crap skills, crap game plan and crap coaching.

The same crap week after week... It ain't no fluke...

I refuse to accept the crapness at all levels that you and bignic harp on about because it is NOT at all levels.

There are plenty of positives. Getting a giant broom and sweeping through the whole joint does not help as we'd be getting rid of a lot of the good as well.

THat is my issue with blokes like you and big nic. Sack the lot of them.
It doesn't do anyone any favours.

If you want to improve, start with the worst, and work your way up.
From today...
Gibbons.....yes subbed out, probably lucky to have been picked in the first place. Hamstring or not, he needs a go in the 2nds.
Cottrell....has been giving us SFA for a while now....back to the 2's.
Newnes was sent packing, and he has been more consistent than those 2.

Casboult i thought was good for team balance.....but still isn't fit enough for us, so back to the 2's he goes as well.

Martin gets a 1-week pass because he hasn't played in 2 months. But he needs to lift.

A few others will be next in line once we work through that list. Setterfield being near the top of that list.

So who comes in?
Not a lot to choose from, but Honey would be one. If Dow is fit, he is another one. I'd bring Newnes back as we don't want to go too young and inexperienced all at once, but he could be one of the first ones to go out again.

By all means, criticise the club.....but saying EVERYONE MUST GO is simply ignorant.

Reply #33
Brisbane have gone well past us but I'll reserve my opinion on Essendon.....still relying on unpredictable types like Stringer to win them games and I dont think Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Shiel etc are my idea of a finals winning midfield setup.

Reply #34
Think it will be Teague, cant see Liddle knifing one of his inner crew like Lloyd...lose to West Coast and the wheels might start turning for a new coach. I wouldnt sack Teague and dont think its his fault we have struggled this season but we know the Carlton way is to axe the coach first and he is under real pressure to deliver a positive win ratio for the rest of the season.
The season is dead and buried mate, the heat has started but I reckon Lloyd and the assistants must go first.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
There wouldn't be one Carlton supporter here that would have said 13th is acceptable.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
It was a guaranteed loss when Levi got picked....not blaming him by the way.

DT and crew have f... all idea.

Plowman out, no Parks? WTF.

Murphy had a good game last week, Gibbo been laying crape....Gibbo picked.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Line in the sand game

I’d say Teague is very close to gone along with slew of assistants.

Unfortunately we’ve got very little depth but we can now use the rest of the year as a trial for our high potential younger players on the edge of the team - think SPS, Honey and Dow. Tell them we’ll play them in the 1s for the rest of the year and let’s see what they’ve got once and for all.

At this stage, acknowledging that we may be forced to out of necessity, we gain and learn nothing playing the likes of Casboult, Murphy, Newnes, Gibbons, Plowman etc

Reply #38
Brisbane have gone well past us but I'll reserve my opinion on Essendon.....still relying on unpredictable types like Stringer to win them games and I dont think Merrett, Parish, Heppell, Shiel etc are my idea of a finals winning midfield setup.

The lion were the team we started rebuilding the same time as. We laughed because we got Weitering and they got Schache. Didn't matter in the end.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39
The season is dead and buried mate, the heat has started but I reckon Lloyd and the assistants must go first.

Watch us kill it during the 2nd half of the year when the pressure is off and no reason to $hit our pants in important situations.

Issues are lapses and the ability to handle pressure in important games. Like late last year when finals beckoned and we $hit our pants in big last qtrs. Twice this year, dogs and Swans, 3 times last year against Geelong, early in the year, which we held on to win by 2pts after a 7 goal lead, Collingwood and GWS in consecutive games late in the year when finals beckoned. Fix those and we'd be a finals teams. We need alot more to take a step after that though.

We just don't get hammered. Only 2 defeats over 5 goals under Teague, which is way better than previous, but we seem happy being entertaining losers without the drive to want to take the next step. After 20 years that losers mentality is caked right in to their mindset.

Reply #40
There wouldn't be one Carlton supporter here that would have said 13th is acceptable.
Has the season finished?
Losses against...
1 - Dees
2 - Dogs
3 - Lions
5 - Port
6 - Swans
8 - Tigers

Wins against....
9 - Bombers
10 - Freo
14 - Gold Coast
17 - Hawks

Also loss against....
16 - Pies - Our worst game for the year.

Notice a pattern here?
We lose against the top 8.
We beat the sides outside the 8.
....and we had 1 terrible showing against the Pies.

If that trend continues....
We play 3 games against sides in the 8......lets say we lose all of them.
We play 8 games against sides outside the 8......lets say we win all but 1 of them (like the pies loss)

That means from here we go 7-4 we are currently 4-7.
That means we end the year with 11-11.....and thats IF we simply continue at the current pace we are going at.
What happens if we actually improve?!

So tell me again, why is the sky falling?

Reply #41
I think if you go back through the pre-season threads you'll find quite a few that had us bottom 6.

We burnt the footy today, panicking under a bit of pressure, wasted many golden opportunities. Just like a couple of weeks back, we should have been 5 or 6 goals up not just 3, we let them back in!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
We need a clean out on and off the field. We are so far from being a good side. So many players that promise so much but deliver so little. Our coaching lacks creativity and reeks or predictability. I am.so dis heartened, year after year I build up my belief in what we are doing and never learn. My son is now a teenager and never known a good Carlton side. A generation of supporters are just about done and the club has no one but themselves to blame.
Oh, I think injuries have their share as well: we haven't had a full list once this century. Not even for a single game.

But you are right in essence.
[1]Our game plan lacks spark. It is too predictable for our opponents, but not predictable enough for our players.
[2] For all the positives about it, and there are positives, when it gets to the forward line, we forget everything and bomb the ball too often.
[3] We still have the structural problems we've had for years. We do not seem to attract mature recruits, the way Melbourne has. We do not develop enough of our draftees. Not one of them looks like making the contribution that Sydney's are making.
[4] For a side with the best fitness man i the business, we fail repeatedly in last quarters.
[5] Our disposal simply doesn't seem to improve, no matter how many times we identify the problem.

We have a few false dawns, and we do have some underlying talent, but even Hawthorn have a better game structure than we do and they are hopeless.
I like Teague, but we don't appear to making any progress. We still show the ineptitude that has become synonymous with Carlton this century. 
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #43
Ground hog day.

Ground hog year. Maybe a little worse than last year.

I heard a commentator say, when the camera was on our coaching box, that Barker was our brains trust. The end.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
It was a guaranteed loss when Levi got picked....not blaming him by the way.

DT and crew have f... all idea.

Plowman out, no Parks? WTF.

Murphy had a good game last week, Gibbo been laying crape....Gibbo picked.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Yep agree but the sad reality is it is always the same names every week that we want in one week, out next, then in ......

We have absolutely no depth which is a disgrace considering the amount of changes this club has made. Who in the 2nds is playing a really high standard that demands selection ? Maybe honey but that's about it. 

Apart from one eyed supporters guys like Kennedy, Murphy, Dow, LOB, Setterfield, Gibbons, Casboult, Newnes, Williamson and probably even SPS are reserve grade footballers trying to play to senior level so swapping blokes for anyone on this list is really shuffling the deck chairs is only a short term fix at best.