Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12558 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #195
The last quarter was poor. No way around that. But we competed pretty well until then. And that goal from Betts was sheer Magic!

[1] We should have been well in from at 3/4 time. We had so many opportunities that we couldn't take.
[2] Doc had a shocker early. Things just didn't go his way, for all of his effort. The ball bounced off his head at one point. He was a guy whose game improved as the game went on.
[3] Martin was disappointing and should have come back through the 2nds. he was carrying more bandages than I do, and I do a good impression of the Mummy when I'm in the Gym. Braces all over me!
[4] Setters was so good early, but he dropped out of the game like he was shot. I am very disappointed by Setters. His 1st quarter was as good any anyone this year.
[5] Their goals cam much easier than ours did. We worked so hard for so little reward in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, while theirs came too easily. Goals from any angle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #196
Crash....I think where a lot of the frustration comes from for most of us supporters is that with all those things, they happen repeatedly...and have been happening repeatedly for awhile now.

1. Should've been well in front and didn't take opportunities.
2. Missing easy shots on goal.
3. Some of the bigger name recruits being disappointing and players fading out of games badly.

Not coming back around to the Teague stay or go argument but read a stat somewhere that in something like 29 of the 40 games under Teague, we've let opposition teams get a run on and kick 5 consecutive goals. I've got no idea what you put that down to but it supports your points.....in a lot of games, should've been in front, didn't take opportunities.

Reply #197
Crash....I think where a lot of the frustration comes from for most of us supporters is that with all those things, they happen repeatedly...and have been happening repeatedly for awhile now.

1. Should've been well in front and didn't take opportunities.
2. Missing easy shots on goal.
3. Some of the bigger name recruits being disappointing and players fading out of games badly.

Not coming back around to the Teague stay or go argument but read a stat somewhere that in something like 29 of the 40 games under Teague, we've let opposition teams get a run on and kick 5 consecutive goals. I've got no idea what you put that down to but it supports your points.....in a lot of games, should've been in front, didn't take opportunities.
Oh, I understand the frustration. I have it myself. It is one of the reasons I don't post a lot immediately after a loss. The anger and frustration is not good for my health, so I am trying to minimize it. Pity our team is trying to maximize it.

I have come to the conclusion that our players have killed our coach. I cannot say it is anyone specific blame: there is so much to share around that no individual can possibly grab it all. But our coaching staff need to accept their share and do something about it. That doesn't appear to have happened.
For that matter, a few of our senior players need to take ownership of their failings and do something about it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #198
Absolutely agree....but history shows that when things aren't going too well, the players survive but it's the head coach who loses his job.

Hopefully this "review" gets to the bottom of some of the issues and things turn around in the second half of the season.

Reply #199
The last quarter was poor. No way around that. But we competed pretty well until then. And that goal from Betts was sheer Magic!

[1] We should have been well in from at 3/4 time. We had so many opportunities that we couldn't take.
[2] Doc had a shocker early. Things just didn't go his way, for all of his effort. The ball bounced off his head at one point. He was a guy whose game improved as the game went on.
[3] Martin was disappointing and should have come back through the 2nds. he was carrying more bandages than I do, and I do a good impression of the Mummy when I'm in the Gym. Braces all over me!
[4] Setters was so good early, but he dropped out of the game like he was shot. I am very disappointed by Setters. His 1st quarter was as good any anyone this year.
[5] Their goals cam much easier than ours did. We worked so hard for so little reward in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, while theirs came too easily. Goals from any angle.

Interesting Martin played much more in the guts than previously.  Didn’t do anything, but played there.

Reply #200
Oh, I understand the frustration. I have it myself. It is one of the reasons I don't post a lot immediately after a loss. The anger and frustration is not good for my health, so I am trying to minimize it. Pity our team is trying to maximize it.

I have come to the conclusion that our players have killed our coach. I cannot say it is anyone specific blame: there is so much to share around that no individual can possibly grab it all. But our coaching staff need to accept their share and do something about it. That doesn't appear to have happened.
For that matter, a few of our senior players need to take ownership of their failings and do something about it.
Just a few?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #201
That is an inevitability, since I don't listen to anything he says, unless I come across it on these forums.

So, please explain to me the true meaning behind the great man's words.

G2C gives a reasonable summation above.
Search an old episode of “On the couch” with Sellars about 2010-13 vintage.
The bloke is many things including opinionated, but listen to the things he sees as non negotiable for a successful footy team, it’s hard to dismiss them.
I completely understand your dislike of the talking/ranting heads in the media, sometimes the ranting comes from passion, doesn’t mean it’s 100% correct, but what/who is ??
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #202
G2C gives a reasonable summation above.
Search an old episode of “On the couch” with Sellars about 2010-13 vintage.
The bloke is many things including opinionated, but listen to the things he sees as non negotiable for a successful footy team, it’s hard to dismiss them.
I completely understand your dislike of the talking/ranting heads in the media, sometimes the ranting comes from passion, doesn’t mean it’s 100% correct, but what/who is ??

I did a quick search for that episode, found nothing. You don't mean Open Mike by any chance ? That's from 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1g6nLGXTQc

At any rate. I have watched that in the past. It's fairly standard old man fare IMO, talking about the good old days and how they had standards which are not present in today's AFL players. That episode is ok, but it stands apart from his general Fox Media work because Sheahan still has a skerrick of journalistic integrity, and guides Maclure in a somewhat sensible direction.

He, like many of his ilk, makes a lot of assertions from the outside without really having much current insider knowledge. He's never worked in any offical capacity at the club (certainly not recently) has probably never even met most of the players and others he criticises, and is in my view not all that different from any other grumpy fan on the sidelines.

Reply #203
I did a quick search for that episode, found nothing. You don't mean Open Mike by any chance ? That's from 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1g6nLGXTQc

At any rate. I have watched that in the past. It's fairly standard old man fare IMO, talking about the good old days and how they had standards which are not present in today's AFL players. That episode is ok, but it stands apart from his general Fox Media work because Sheahan still has a skerrick of journalistic integrity, and guides Maclure in a somewhat sensible direction.

He, like many of his ilk, makes a lot of assertions from the outside without really having much current insider knowledge. He's never worked in any offical capacity at the club (certainly not recently) has probably never even met most of the players and others he criticises, and is in my view not all that different from any other grumpy fan on the sidelines.

Actually Pauly, he and Andy Maher used to do that official Carlton weekly podcast a few years ago, Sellers got booted from it IIRC.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #204
Actually Pauly, he and Andy Maher used to do that official Carlton weekly podcast a few years ago, Sellers got booted from it IIRC.

Did they ? OK, my bad. It's hard to keep up with all the different podcasts, twitter accounts, pay TV, free to air, radio etc.

Reply #205
I should add, it doesn't really change my position, but clearly it's much better to have more knowledge than less.

Reply #206
I should add, it doesn't really change my position, but clearly it's much better to have more knowledge than less.
Wasnt attempting to change your position, just saying he did "work" for the club but more importantly got booted as I think he constantly potted Bolts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #207
Wasnt attempting to change your position, just saying he did "work" for the club but more importantly got booted as I think he constantly potted Bolts.

All good GTC.

Reply #208
Yes, I think you’re correct about the “Open Mike” program.
You see a grumpy old man I see a bloke who’s been there and done it.
And the things he was banging on about then, he still bangs on about now, team, sacrifice for teammates etc.
They are timeless requirements, if you don’t have them you won’t have the ultimate success.
I don’t deny that tactically he’s playing a kick behind, but again you only have to kick more goals than the opposition more weeks than not and you then start looking to playing in September don’t you…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #209
Yes, I think you’re correct about the “Open Mike” program.
You see a grumpy old man I see a bloke who’s been there and done it.
And the things he was banging on about then, he still bangs on about now, team, sacrifice for teammates etc.
They are timeless requirements, if you don’t have them you won’t have the ultimate success.
I don’t deny that tactically he’s playing a kick behind, but again you only have to kick more goals than the opposition more weeks than not and you then start looking to playing in September don’t you…

You can have poor results and still put the team first, sacrifice for each other etc. The implication from media and fans is that modern players are selfish, or they play for the lifestyle, or they're cushy with big contracts, or they have a sense of entitlement etc., and as such they're not like Sellers and his mob, who supposedly played the right way for the right reasons. I disagree. I've stated my opinions about our lack of cohesion, perception of selfishness, lack of connection etc., being down to instability and other things, and there's no need to repeat them again.

One thing I will say, in that Youtube link I posted above, stretched out to widescreen format he looks like Jabba the Hutt.