Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #61
Bad timing to drop Casboult.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
More of the old, we all sat down as a group and handed out some "home truths" and the players really took it on board and committed to turning things around and blah, blah, blah . . . . . . . .   insert throwing up emoji here---->

Reply #63
More of the old, we all sat down as a group and handed out some "home truths" and the players really took it on board and committed to turning things around and blah, blah, blah . . . . . . . .   insert throwing up emoji here---->

what would you do if you were the prez?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
Why is Saad playing like a basketballer or netballer? He uses his speed to close in on a guy who has just taken possession of a ground ball, but then, instead of launching into a bone-rattling tackle, he pulls up a metre away and dances around with his arms up in the air. Meanwhile, the guy with the ball takes the opportunity to measure a 20 metre handball to an open team mate. WTF?

Reply #65
Why is Saad playing like a basketballer or netballer? He uses his speed to close in on a guy who has just taken possession of a ground ball, but then, instead of launching into a bone-rattling tackle, he pulls up a metre away and dances around with his arms up in the air. Meanwhile, the guy with the ball takes the opportunity to measure a 20 metre handball to an open team mate. WTF?
It’s funny, I watched Saad a bit and thought he is one that goes and goes again and again.

I think what’s happening is some players are trying to take it on and take all the responsibility and run themselves ragged and out of position to cover for others’ shortcomings

Reply #66

Is it a team thing ? I notice many of our players do this. We rank 15th for average tackles per game. I know Teague has mentioned a few times he doesn't want players being sucked in to the contest, being on the ground as the loose ball bobbles out.

Reply #67
what would you do if you were the prez?
Crikey, that's a tough one. I've been the president of a local football club, but that just meant doing all those jobs that no one else would do. Never interfered with the running of the team or offered advice on how the team could improve so I suggest that's probably how things work at the top level, but if I had the opportunity, personally, I would sit down one on one with each and every player and ask them to be honest with me and let me know what is wrong, how do we fix it and do you want to be a part of the solution.

Reply #68
Liddle has defined the path we are on, set the goals and has to be accountable for where we are.

Some of it.    The big question about SOS's rebuild was the midfield.

He added Kennedy and Setterfield via trades.
Drafted Dow, O'Brien, Cuningham, Petrevski-Seton, Fisher, Stocker and Philp
After SOS we add Williams on good money.

And.... our midfield is still an issue.     Others factors at play and you could add development and tactics to recruitment.

Reply #69
Bad timing to drop Casboult.
I wanted him in last week for the reasons we needed him in this week.

Sometimes things just don't go your way.

Reply #70
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5540.msg335872#msg335872
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
Crikey, that's a tough one. I've been the president of a local football club, but that just meant doing all those jobs that no one else would do. Never interfered with the running of the team or offered advice on how the team could improve so I suggest that's probably how things work at the top level, but if I had the opportunity, personally, I would sit down one on one with each and every player and ask them to be honest with me and let me know what is wrong, how do we fix it and do you want to be a part of the solution.

If I was one of those players, I know exactly what I'd say, and you wouldn't file it under "a few gentle words of encouragement."

Reply #72
I am afraid that we do need to have a change in coach.
I hate saying that, as it is an admission of failure. But we have failed. There is no greater certainty this year.
[1] We do not have a good system, or, if there is one, we don't appear to follow it.
[2] We don't win enough one-on-ones, mainly because our opposition is streaming forward with little pressure.
[3] Our ruck division is not up to taking on the AFL's best. Teams with a good ruckman smash us. Even Collingwood, and they are terrible.
[4] After the Hawthorn game I mentioned that even they have a better system than we do, and they are rubbish this year. You could see by the way they positioned themselves.
[5] Our players do not believe in themselves. They are accepting defeat too easily.

The season is over. After the bye, assuming we still have it, we need to start seeing if our kids have what it takes.

I really hate that, as it is an admission of failure, but what else can we do?

Well said Crash. I agree with each point, to varying degrees.

[3] to a lesser degree in terms of the role more than the personnel. Good midfielders adapt quickly to play off a dominant ruck. We've seen this many times against top ruckman. You only have to see how Parish played WC last week

Someone else mentioned the role of the Sports Psychologist. I'd add that to your list Crash. Definitely think that's an area worthy of a thorough review. We look soft in physical and mental attributes, and spiritless. Somehow lacking the glue that makes individuals a team. A team with clear goals, methods, resources, and resultant outcomes, we are not.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Inside 50's: 47-57
Efficiency Inside 50: 42.1%
Clearances:  24-37
Centre Clearances:  9-15
Contested Possessions:  112-135

Yeah that looks like Murphy's on the half forward flanks fault.   

Sheed, Nit Nat and the Midfield smashed us.     We still need mids, mids and more mids.

Centre clearances have been a huge issue for about the last month.  I know I watch with one eye, but, at the centre bounce, every time the oppo gets their hand on the ball they seem to be able to run free, every time we
touch it, we are tackled (many times before we touch it).  Are we not ruthless enough in listing the boundaries on the rules??  Cripps is held at every bounce before he touches it, why don’t we do the same??