Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12145 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

The game has been run. It is time to open our surgeon's kitbag and draw out the scalpels. And pray that the patient doesn't need our help.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #1
As my mother likes to say, "Big Rahbish." The obligatory 4 goal loss.

I'm not sure if I'm pissed because I overestimated us / underestimated them, or just the we way we played the game. Maybe both.

The main guys on the ABC call, Nick Davis and Ryan O'Keefe, mentioned a few times that we are a team that relies less on system and more on individual brilliance. And that's a problem according to them. And I agree.

Blah.

Reply #2
Disgusting.

Murphy should retire now.

Docherty and Cottrell to the VFL.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
Another comfortable loss and we had the added bonus of two spuds in Bailey Williams and Harry Edwards gifting us turnovers.
Its disappointing because WC are not very good and were undermanned yet we played a poor brand of football.
Stocker left on Liam Ryan...not sure what we were thinking there either....

Reply #4
Bit harsh on Docherty.

Who comes in though?

I'd get Boyd into the side ASAP. Not sure if he needs to quarantine or what, but straight in IMO.
Honey was thereabouts a couple of weeks ago, he gets a go.
Who else have we got??

Reply #5

I'm not sure if I'm pissed because I overestimated us / underestimated them, or just the we way we played the game. Maybe both.

The main guys on the ABC call, Nick Davis and Ryan O'Keefe, mentioned a few times that we are a team that relies less on system and more on individual brilliance. And that's a problem according to them. And I agree.

Blah.

What individual brilliance,  I must have missed that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
What individual brilliance,  I must have missed that.

Lol. yes, well..................

Their established players are mostly from the 2018 flag. And that group is better than our established players. And their kids today slotted in seamlessly and just seemed to know what to do.

I'm pretty pissed about this loss. This is 100% a head space issue IMO. Davis and O'Keefe stated that winning and losing are both habits, and unfortunately the latter is very hard to break.  As has been discussed on here many times.

Reply #7
Inside 50's: 47-57
Efficiency Inside 50: 42.1%
Clearances:  24-37
Centre Clearances:  9-15
Contested Possessions:  112-135

Yeah that looks like Murphy's on the half forward flanks fault.   

Sheed, Nit Nat and the Midfield smashed us.     We still need mids, mids and more mids.

Reply #8
Murphy was poor but Jack Martin continues to disappoint IMO, Yeo was second game back after a long lay off and copped a knock in the head but was influential in the contests ,getting physical with our blokes and looking after Cripps.
Williams and Saad were ok but Martin isnt doing enough, he has the skills but continues as he did at GC to have low possession games and I'd be giving him a rocket if I was the coach and telling him to lift his work rate.

Reply #9
We have no passion, no desire, and no system.   Our mids were chopped to pieces, our decision making is unbelievably bad, and did we even have a forward line?

Forget that we lost Harry, forget that we missed easy shots at goal.   Didn't even deserve to get that close.

2021 shot to pieces.  That is without a doubt the most disappointing effort for the whole year.  I'm not even sure I can watch this team any more.  They find new ways to let you down every week. 

Sadly, I can't see how we are going to turn it around. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #10
If we can’t beat a injury riddled middle of the road team let’s cut the crap and excuses we are miles off it on every level.

Midfield smashed AGAIN. Negative 25 contested pos against a middle road team missing a few of their prime mids. I mean this really shows how far off we are in the middle. Blokes like setterfield Cottrell Martin Dow are not the answer so apart from Walsh and Cripps who was sh1te today our midfield wouldn’t dominate in the vfl.

The rebuild is now seriously looking more like a failure more then a success.

No Membership for me next year. Not a chance.

Reply #11
Oh the defend Murphy brigade.

No passengers and he has been a passenger for years now. Didnt even look like he was trying today or last week when he came on.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Cripps has to take a big pay cut. He is not an 800k player anymore.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #13

Blah.

I think this is very much at the core of the problem.
We have some talented players but they don't work together as well as other sides.
A lot of that has to do with games together.
Injuries and a the introduction of new players into the side is a big factor in this and it's not likely we'll suddenly develop those understandings to a large degree in the remainder of this season.
How we use these players, the structures and systems we're trying to introduce are a little unclear...that's an issue for the coaching staff (if there are any left after the bye)

Reply #14
Chris Judd said it 3 years ago. At the Eagles the only focus was on how they can get better and challenge for the flag. When he came to Carlton all he heard from the players was about their next contract.