Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 12153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 12: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #210
I think the caterers in the press box have lifted their intensity…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #211
I tend not to post for a few days after a loss when my emotions are on a more even keel.  However, by that time, most of what I want to say has been addressed.

One thing I do want to mention is Nic Newman's attempted mark and frightening impact with the SCG turf.  There's no doubt that it was a courageous effort but is that what we want from our medium defenders?

Weitering had good position on Darling, until Newman took him out, and would have spoiled or marked.  We were effectively two men out of the contest and West Coast crumbed and kicked to the square, eventually resulting in Jones missing an easy set shot.  I know it's an instinctive thing for players to attempt to mark with the flight of the ball (although I think Newman was attempting to spoil) but hard-nosed defenders curb their instincts and do the team thing.  Newman should have been focused on getting the loose ball, stopping West Coast crumbers from getting it, or tackling before they could get a disposal away.  As it turned out West Coast had more players at the fall of the ball and two of ours were out of the contest with Darling gaining possession while Weitering was distracted.

It's only one incident but it's typical of the poor decision-making, poor positioning and lack of discipline that causes us to miss out on scoring opportunities at one end and give up goals at the other.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #212
I tend not to post for a few days after a loss when my emotions are on a more even keel.  However, by that time, most of what I want to say has been addressed.

One thing I do want to mention is Nic Newman's attempted mark and frightening impact with the SCG turf.  There's no doubt that it was a courageous effort but is that what we want from our medium defenders?

Weitering had good position on Darling, until Newman took him out, and would have spoiled or marked.  We were effectively two men out of the contest and West Coast crumbed and kicked to the square, eventually resulting in Jones missing an easy set shot.  I know it's an instinctive thing for players to attempt to mark with the flight of the ball (although I think Newman was attempting to spoil) but hard-nosed defenders curb their instincts and do the team thing.  Newman should have been focused on getting the loose ball, stopping West Coast crumbers from getting it, or tackling before they could get a disposal away.  As it turned out West Coast had more players at the fall of the ball and two of ours were out of the contest with Darling gaining possession while Weitering was distracted.

It's only one incident but it's typical of the poor decision-making, poor positioning and lack of discipline that causes us to miss out on scoring opportunities at one end and give up goals at the other.
Backline doesnt work as team, you look at Richmond and now Melbourne and there seems plenty of communication and players seem to know when to cover for a mate or call out a player in marking contests.
Points to Newman for courage but as you say it wasnt necessary with Weitering in control of Darling and highlights we have a backline of individuals rather than a unit working in cohesion.
But when you have moves like the inexperienced Stocker picking up the dangerous Ryan it also tells you there isnt much help from the coaches box either and probably endorses the decision to have a Review.

Reply #213
Missing Simpson ;)

Reply #214
Backline doesnt work as team, you look at Richmond and now Melbourne and there seems plenty of communication and players seem to know when to cover for a mate or call out a player in marking contests.
Points to Newman for courage but as you say it wasnt necessary with Weitering in control of Darling and highlights we have a backline of individuals rather than a unit working in cohesion.
But when you have moves like the inexperienced Stocker picking up the dangerous Ryan it also tells you there isnt much help from the coaches box either and probably endorses the decision to have a Review.
As David King said, it needed the experienced head of the captain Docherty to go to Stocker and say "Move aside son, I got this". Zero leadership and poor match day coaching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #215
Lods....tend to agree in hindsight. An experienced older head would be handy right about now.

On a side note, reading that Brad Hardie (who is a poor man's Kane Cornes IMO) is stating categorically that Brayden Maynard will be at Melbourne next year. He's the kind of hard nut we could do with in the backline but with the surplus of half back flankers, it would look silly targeting him.

Reply #217
Lods....tend to agree in hindsight. An experienced older head would be handy right about now.

On a side note, reading that Brad Hardie (who is a poor man's Kane Cornes IMO) is stating categorically that Brayden Maynard will be at Melbourne next year. He's the kind of hard nut we could do with in the backline but with the surplus of half back flankers, it would look silly targeting him.
Surfie. Like I said in another post....Maynards brother and father both played for the Dees but he wont  leave the Pies unless  they really shafted him next contract. Brad Hardie fires a lot of bullets but doesnt hit much..

Reply #218
We also got rid of an ex Collingwood backman .... like the dimwits we are.

Reply #219
True EB....Hardie gets lonely in the media and comes out with made up stories and hopes that one sticks....

Reply #220

Damned if you do, damned if your don't.

If he decided to stop running back with the flight and tried to get front and square for the crumbs, people would've complained he pussy'd out.

He'll learn from it, and Teague will prep him for the next time.

It was a freak collision, that probably won't happen again this year. However, i'd rather our players be too brave, than not brave enough.

Remember Walshs mark going back with the flight......that could've ended the same way. Luck of the draw.