Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 74003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Review

Reply #45
PP....in any big business, as soon as there's rumblings and division between leaders etc, someone's job becomes untenable. And history shows it's usually the senior coach that gets the @rse....it's a lot easier to move one bloke on than it is half a dozen or so who don't/can't work with him....especially if they're "senior players".

Reply #46
If they have already decided that Teague is not the man then they should part ways now and let Worsfold take over till they find their man. No point in dragging this on for the rest of the year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
PP....in any big business, as soon as there's rumblings and division between leaders etc, someone's job becomes untenable. And history shows it's usually the senior coach that gets the @rse....it's a lot easier to move one bloke on than it is half a dozen or so who don't/can't work with him....especially if they're "senior players".

No doubt that's true, but the key phrase in your post is "it's a lot easier to move one bloke". Not the correct solution, not the potentially hard but fair and correct solution, just the easier solution. And there's the problem right there.

Reply #48
Yep I wasn't saying it's right or fair......it's just usually what DOES happen.

Reply #50
I must be living under a bridge but i was unaware Sayers is our new incoming president. I just read it on the link above.

We have all heard the rumours doing the rounds about his connection to Dan's back injury?

I don't know much about him but if the word on the street is true he is a hard man on fronts. If that's true he may be exactly what we need to clean the club out of so many of the nice guys we have and bring back some real mongrel and grit on all levels. Not much to get excited about recently but this one gives me some hope  

https://www.afl.com.au/news/603306/carlton-president-mark-logiudice-reveals-hes-stepping-down-luke-sayers-to-replace-him/amp

A bit of background on the president elect. I heard Caro saying he is an auditor and a hard taskmaster - FWIW

Just in terms of the reported comments from players: anyone following AFL has repeatedly asked
1. What's the game plan?
2. Why that selection?
The only other equally obvious question is 3. Why are blokes continually played out of position?

Go figure. I'm at a loss to understand our goals. I guess that says it all really. When long term members have no idea of the club's direction/brand, there's probably a chink in the armor.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #51
In the article it states to "Start in coming weeks", on the TV I've seen Caro state twice that it's to start "At the end of the season"

So I'm calling bullcrap story!

All clubs review football and executive performance at the end of each season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
We've changed a few times but the bottom line remains similar. Half arsed efforts from the players, their lack of drive, motivation, hunger etc. The only thing different with Teague is that they have been half arsed rather fully arsed as under the previous two coaches. We have shown to be a competitive unit against anyone despite being half arsed. Wouldn't take that much to go from that to a good side given how close we run games. Has to player, peer pressure driven. Peer pressure not to accept 5hit. Works with good clubs.

The omens though is that these type of reviews work out that the coach stays, duties are reduced and redefined  to reduce pressure, everyone else goes, and like Geelong, Richmond go on to win the flag the next year. Collingwood went on to be runners-up, but that is Collingwood....lol.

Reply #53
I must be living under a bridge but i was unaware Sayers is our new incoming president. I just read it on the link above.

We have all heard the rumours doing the rounds about his connection to Dan's back injury?

I don't know much about him but if the word on the street is true he is a hard man on fronts. If that's true he may be exactly what we need to clean the club out of so many of the nice guys we have and bring back some real mongrel and grit on all levels. Not much to get excited about recently but this one gives me some hope  

Well, stories have already appeared in Northern media:
https://cairnsnews.org/2021/04/16/deadly-dan-who-backed-the-china-plan-could-be-in-one-of-his-victorian-courts/

Sayers and Andrews are good friends according to the report.

**Edit: Actually it looks more like a blog thing after second viewing.

Reply #54
“At least one player has talked about the lack of clarity in the team’s game plan, while another questioned elements of team selection,” the report said.

Mick Malthouse always used to say that the 22nd bloke on the list loves you, and the 23rd blokes hates you. Could simply be a bit of that.

Could be an extrapolation from the Murphy comments the other day.

You have 40+ players on a list and more staff.....there will always be some kind of questioning between some with numbers that high.

Reply #55
I wonder if the departures of Judd and MLG are related to the review ?

Reply #56
Should never have gave a nice guy and former player like Teague the job, it's heartbreaking when we sack them.

Need to hire a prick like Brad Scott where we don't care what happens in the end it's just business.
Like Malthouse?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
I lay London to a brick Mr Sayers will be gathering information from everywhere he can, even forums such is this one.
I would doubt he is doing this without the knowledge of the rest of the Board so he will know exactly what they think.
He will be canvassing all the key stakeholders, players, other coaches, supporters, sponsors, boot studders, trainers, you name it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
Just a bit of housekeeping.
This thread probably belongs in the Bluebloods Bar.
Could one of the mods do the move.
My Bad.

Reply #59
Liked Matthew Lloyd's face when Caro suggested his bros position will also come under scrutiny. Lloyd said Carlton isn't the basket case other clubs are and can turn it around..