Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 13: Carlton vs ??? Or will it be the Bye? (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 13: Carlton vs ??? Or will it be the Bye?

With Covid in the air, the season is again plunged into disarray. This week should be our bye, as it should be the VFL bye as well. However, one simply cannot be certain things will play out that way. Thankfully, there have not been massive changes to the fixture as yet, but the Lockdown in Victoria will probably determine that.

One thing that is almost certain to happen, if the Lockdown is lifted, that the VFL team will NOT have a bye next week. There will be two rounds of action to make up.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 13: Carlton vs ??? Or will it be the Bye?

Reply #1
With Covid in the air, the season is again plunged into disarray. This week should be our bye, as it should be the VFL bye as well. However, one simply cannot be certain things will play out that way. Thankfully, there have not been massive changes to the fixture as yet, but the Lockdown in Victoria will probably determine that.

One thing that is almost certain to happen, if the Lockdown is lifted, that the VFL team will NOT have a bye next week. There will be two rounds of action to make up.

The football may be on in some capacity here in Melbourne in the next couple of weeks, but there will be no crowds the way things are going, for a while at least. With players worried about been away from family and in hubs, the AFL may have to think about flyin/flyout type scenarios such as what Collingwood are doing in their match against PA.

Re: Pre game perturbations: AFL 2021 Rd 13: Carlton vs ??? Or will it be the Bye?

Reply #2
The football may be on in some capacity here in Melbourne in the next couple of weeks, but there will be no crowds the way things are going, for a while at least. With players worried about been away from family and in hubs, the AFL may have to think about flyin/flyout type scenarios such as what Collingwood are doing in their match against PA.
I hope so. I think a lot of people are really tiring of Covid and the restrictions it has put on our lives. I find it irritating in the extreme, and I am a lot less volatile than many out there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I dont understand why they can't just put the players in a bubble each time they travel.  That way the show goes on as planned.

The English premier league was able to go ahead with the occasion fixture change only because players tested positive and some games were moved.  I dont understand why the afl doesn't organise for that to occur here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I dont understand why they can't just put the players in a bubble each time they travel.  That way the show goes on as planned.

The English premier league was able to go ahead with the occasion fixture change only because players tested positive and some games were moved.  I dont understand why the afl doesn't organise for that to occur here.

State politics.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5

Some players and their families may not want to go down that path, eg Stocker last season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Some players and their families may not want to go down that path, eg Stocker last season.

Um, I dont think you understand what im saying.  Im saying the players continue playing footy and travelling across the country like they normally do.

Coming into minimal contact.

The epl was fanless for pretty much the whole 2020-21 season and the only time a game was moved or called off was when a team or players tested positive.

They continued travelling across Europe too.

We aren't talking a continent with 1000 cases a day at its peak here either.

The sports should continue the players testing and living and playing and thats it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
Now the weekend is almost here and we are not losing a game. I have to be happy about that after recent events.
Live Long and Prosper!