Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd ?: Carlton vs Port Melbourne (Read 7727 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd ?: Carlton vs Port Melbourne

Reply #105
I only saw 10 minutes and Levi was prominent. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
I only saw 10 minutes and Levi was prominent. 

He can;t play this week because he was suspended in the VFL but....

Who would he play instead of? I don't think we can fit him in.

Reply #107
He can;t play this week because he was suspended in the VFL but....

Who would he play instead of? I don't think we can fit him in.

If he can maintain that form, I’d pick him before Pittonet and de Koning.

However, my preference would be to play Casboult at CHF and switch Silvagni to defence.  We need a hard-nosed lockdown defender and Jack can play that role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108

However, my preference would be to play Casboult at CHF and switch Silvagni to defence.  We need a hard-nosed lockdown defender and Jack can play that role.

De koning has gone off the boil.

He was pretty ordinary against gws. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #110
He’s been successfully normalised now.

No, hes just a talented youngster who has succumbed to rigours of having to compete with battle hardened players every week.

Sam walsh is the exception not the rule.  We play our kids with blokes who are broken down most of the time, so its no wonder they display patchy form.

People were very quick to pot Casboult based on his limitations, but they failed to be cogniscent of the fact, that our forward line functioned better with him in there, than without him, and that despite his limitations he is competing at each and every contest (rightly or wrongly) and De Koning is simply not at that level yet.

This is where we are falling over.  We are picking blokes based on potential, and they all have something worth persisting with, but they are physically unready to compete each week and produce their best footy.

This is a KPI of why our team isnt doing better in games IMHO.  It actually is more to do with the ability to compete for 4 quarters each and every week and its got to do with our list composition.

Its why dropping the senior players is quite stupid.  They are 24/7 footballers, and whilst they could use the odd freshen up, I think they are being dropped to solidify their standing in the group, rather than anything else. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
No, hes just a talented youngster who has succumbed to rigours of having to compete with battle hardened players every week.
Yes, as a young player these rucks need to be managed not slaughtered.

It's why I've been calling for recruitment of rucks for two years now, we are undermanned and putting another 23 year old into the mix is not the solution. When we lost kreuzer we lost a dominant senior ruck, so we need a 28-30 year old hard bodied 24x7 performer.

Pittonet is 24x7, but he is struggling to have a positive impact, he'll never give us the dominance we need it's not naturally in his game. He is more of a Barnaby French type.

This is particularly important for us, because we need seriously good tap ruck work along with seriously good 2nd effort follow up(blocks, shepherds, checking, tackles) to advantage our slower midfielders. When the tap doesn't go to exactly the right spot, our slower midfielders get beaten to the ball almost 100% of the time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112

In a team as piss weak as us where he gets exposed, unprotected to those rigours and where his preparation/development is probably nowhere near as good as it should gave been. In other words, normalised to the CFC way.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113

Vfl form and afl form are completely different.

As far as ruck duties go, when we have to rely on casboult, we suck. As a backup he is passable.....just. #1 guy? No chance.
He hasn't been fit enough all year and now people want him to play #1 ruck role?
We expect too much.

If you say As backup only, then either an out of form tdk takes #1 ruck, or he goes out of the side. I don't think we should do either of those either.

Reply #115
If you say As backup only, then either an out of form tdk takes #1 ruck, or he goes out of the side. I don't think we should do either of those either.
We are overloaded with backup rucks, it's the 1st ruck we haven't got covered.

Pittonet is our only heavy bodied 4-Qtr ruck and he's struggling to have an impact, ideally he or Casboult would be the backup coming off the bench to relieve the 1st ruck.

Eventually that 1st ruck may be De Koning but he's 2 or 3 years away from being a consistent and reliable contributor.
The Force Awakens!