Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 9000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #120
Interesting you say that GTC as I was listening to the radio this morning on 3AW at 7:25am, there is a jerno, forget his name and he quoted Scott Drapper from Essendon, who said that Dow roved to him during lockdown, in a scratch match that was organised between 3 clubs, Carlton, Essendon and the Swans. He said, of Dow, that he thought he was one of the better midfielders that he has seen and played with currently in the AFL.

You can read the report in the link below. O'keefe highlights Dow and Kennedy output.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/950567/carlton-reserves-take-on-the-swans-in-scratch-match

So is it between the ears or is it that he cannot bridge the gap between VFL and AFL like a lot of players who great VFL players but just cannot make it in the AFL.

Its probably more the fact that the rules have changed significantly since he was playing under 18's and drafted.

Geelong are an older team but theyve seen the evolution of the game and had time to adapt to it.

We go with young kids who have only been using the 6 6 6 rules as lomg as theyve been an afl footballer in a team bottom of the ladder.

They all hit their strides a bit later.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
We go with young kids who have only been using the 6 6 6 rules as lomg as theyve been an afl footballer in a team bottom of the ladder.
Kids(drafteees) come out of the TAC Cup system, in the TAC Cup the AFL mandates direct match ups and discourages flooding or other zoning tactics to allow recruiters to see and assess players in fair one on one contests. If a coach breaks that rule they risk losing their job, they are employed by the AFL.

It's a big reason why a lot of recruits struggle in the first few years.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
trade sps and setters for cerra freo start laughing

Reply #124
EB...they'll want a minimum of our first rounder which will likely be in the top 7 or 8 picks. I think they used pick 5 on him so it'll be at least that they're asking....maybe first rounder and SPS (assuming they want him), or Fisher, and then a swap of later picks? Cerra would be in our best 3 midfielders straight off the bat.

Reply #125
EB...they'll want a minimum of our first rounder which will likely be in the top 7 or 8 picks. I think they used pick 5 on him so it'll be at least that they're asking....maybe first rounder and SPS (assuming they want him), or Fisher, and then a swap of later picks? Cerra would be in our best 3 midfielders straight off the bat.
Agree it would be our first pick and a player perhaps with something minor coming back the other way.
Cerra will have suitors if he chooses to leave which is going to push his asking price and the trade price up.
Ross Lyon says we need to get him and you never know whats going on behind the scenes as we speak,  Lyon seems
to be interested in our progress after showing luke warm interest in the Pies job.
I'm with Lyon and would be going hard at Cerra .....

Reply #126
Some suggestions that Richmond are keen on Cerra but if that happened, Freo will want Bolton coming back the other way.

Reply #127
Some suggestions that Richmond are keen on Cerra but if that happened, Freo will want Bolton coming back the other way.
That wont happen, Boltons management are playing games like they all do but he has his mates at Tiger land and will re-sign for sure. Cerra has a link to Essendon as well but he knows Ross Lyon who is a fan and if Lyon did take over I could see Cerra choosing Carlton as his new home. Not that I am suggesting we sack Teague, appoint Lyon just to get Cerra....

Reply #128
Id be targetting sydney stack first from Richmond.

Go for blokes who have ability that cant get a look in.  Sooner or later youll hit paydirt.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #129
Its interesting to compare Luke Davies Uniake and Paddy Dow...both were hot property in their draft year, both dominant at U18 level and both have struggled at senior level. Their stats in terms of disposals at senior level are about the same and their kicking isnt their strong point. LDU is marginally better placed than Dow in terms of the future IMO but is it just the case of two crap clubs unable to develop talent or did both clubs just get it wrong with their selections?

Just an average draft.
Add LOB to that list and there is already 3 from the top 10 that have done SFA and we haven't even looked at any of the other 7.

Reply #130
Sic em Rex...I mean Krudd!!
lol...
Newnes played what.....10 minutes as the sub.
Don't think he was to blame.
Not sure whoever else we bring in will be any better.

Reply #131
Interesting you say that GTC as I was listening to the radio this morning on 3AW at 7:25am, there is a jerno, forget his name and he quoted Scott Drapper from Essendon, who said that Dow roved to him during lockdown, in a scratch match that was organised between 3 clubs, Carlton, Essendon and the Swans. He said, of Dow, that he thought he was one of the better midfielders that he has seen and played with currently in the AFL.

You can read the report in the link below. O'keefe highlights Dow and Kennedy output.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/950567/carlton-reserves-take-on-the-swans-in-scratch-match

So is it between the ears or is it that he cannot bridge the gap between VFL and AFL like a lot of players who great VFL players but just cannot make it in the AFL.
Mate I am a bit of a fan of Dow's, I think we should persist with him and play him every week no matter what. His confidence will turn around I reckon. He has shown a good turn of speed which he can use as a weapon. He is reasonably gutsy for his size. His main area that needs improvement which is well documented is his disposal and goal kicking but with the confidence, they will come good IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #132
Freo will want a lot for Cerra....
Is he out of contract? Failing a reasonable deal/trade, we could probably wrangle a deal to get him in the PSD. Trust me, we will finish lower than where we are now so we will have a a decent pick, coupled with terms he nominates ala Jack Martin.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #133
Mate I am a bit of a fan of Dow's, I think we should persist with him and play him every week no matter what. His confidence will turn around I reckon. He has shown a good turn of speed which he can use as a weapon. He is reasonably gutsy for his size. His main area that needs improvement which is well documented is his disposal and goal kicking but with the confidence, they will come good IMO.
Agree.

With Dow you get glimpses of what he can do. A spin here. A sidestep there. A breakaway from stoppage as well.

Upside is more than most. Got no reason to not play him. Get his confidence up and there is 1 less mid we have to try and recruit.

Reply #134
Is he out of contract? Failing a reasonable deal/trade, we could probably wrangle a deal to get him in the PSD. Trust me, we will finish lower than where we are now so we will have a a decent pick, coupled with terms he nominates ala Jack Martin.
I don't want to trust you, i think we can certainly finish higher than we are now.

BUT....

Do we want too?

Could we be tanking from here?

Announce a review.
No longer pick Murphy.
Play the kids.
Wins are not that important as the coaches job is deemed 'safe' for 2022..........or his replacement is already locked in.

What else would/could we do?
Keep Charlie in cotton wool.
Pick some more kids, Ramsay, Honey, Boyd.....

Be interesting to see what changes from here on out.