Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 6955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
Parks is a VFL player and Martin on Whitfield was a dumb move given Whitfield runs all day. I would have played Cottrell on Whitfield as he has the pace and endurance and has done the job before.
Whitfield hates a hard tag and that isn't Martins game at all as he was recruited to be creative and provide some goals, not sit on a bloke who needs an endurance type of tagger.

If not Cottrell, I would have played Curnow (who has really gone off the boil) on Whitfield.  Martin should be an offensive weapon demanding a dedicated defender, but he has lost his zip and can’t be fit.

I have hopes for Parks but, at this stage, he is a VFL player.

It’s a lot easier coaching from from an armchair and with the benefit of hindsight, but I’m really perplexed by our team selection and tactics ... or lack thereof 🤨
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
I suspect we do Cookie.  Confused and frustrated perhaps but most are probably pretty resilient 🤔

DJ, I personally would include confusion as a lack of mental fitness/preparation to face the cut throat competitive environment that is the AFL, where the ability to respond quickly and effectively to opposition moves and to also be creative is vital. Confusion means delay - fatal imo. This would no doubt then lead to frustration I agree.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
Another 22 point loss after being close all day?

Stuffs me how we are always scoreboard competitive (as distinct from actually competitive) while being insipid at the same time. Surely it only takes a decent change in mental attitude (as we have been hoping for for only 20 years) to be a finals side.

Reply #63
For me this sort of comment is a big worry.
Quote from: Jacob Weitering
Carlton leader Jacob Weitering has urged the Blues to adopt a selfless mentality and “play for your mates” in a bid to reactivate a season spiralling out of control.
Read the rest at The Rage linked HERE.

The reason I don't like it is two fold.

Firstly, it's self evident that for AFL success you have to stick fat with each other on the field, regardless of whether you like each other off the field or at training. I've been a long time critic of our club regarding the absence of this mindset. But if Jacob Weitering has to speak that truth to his team-mates via the media what does it say about our recruiting and our player development? To me it reeks that our club is still mired in the old ways of the professional mercenary.

Secondly, if Jacob Weitering perceives this then other players will as well, other potential recruits and other potential re-signings, and that does not bode well for our club if progress and resolution of the problem doesn't become obvious!

I suppose I can look at the flipside, and in that case it just reinforces Weitering's leadership credentials.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Maybe weiters is saying that because it was a focus in team meetings and all players are fully aware of it already.

Reply #65
Another 22 point loss after being close all day?

Stuffs me how we are always scoreboard competitive (as distinct from actually competitive) while being insipid at the same time. Surely it only takes a decent change in mental attitude (as we have been hoping for for only 20 years) to be a finals side.
Crows away from home are not that flash IMO, we should win this well with all the pressure and hype. The Players will want to perform if not for Teague but to save their careers in some cases. I'd expect a response to appease the media pile on but it wont have any effect on the off field stuff where I reckon decisions have already been made and we are going through a bit of pantomime while this so called review takes place..

Reply #66
Maybe weiters is saying that because it was a focus in team meetings and all players are fully aware of it already.

I suspect that his choice of words was determined by the media commentary and is directed at our supporters rather than his teammates.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
DJ, I personally would include confusion as a lack of mental fitness/preparation to face the cut throat competitive environment that is the AFL, where the ability to respond quickly and effectively to opposition moves and to also be creative is vital. Confusion means delay - fatal imo. This would no doubt then lead to frustration I agree.

I suspect that confusion arises when players are exhorted to persist with a game plan that isn’t working or to play a role to which they aren’t suited; Stocker vs Greene for example.

You have to wonder whether continually not meeting expectations, being subjected to personal media criticism and social media vitriol will have mental health implications 🤔

Reply #68
Quote from: Jacob Weitering
Carlton leader Jacob Weitering has urged the Blues to adopt a selfless mentality and “play for your mates” in a bid to reactivate a season spiralling out of control.

Team Football 101

Reply #69
Crows away from home are not that flash IMO, we should win this well with all the pressure and hype. The Players will want to perform if not for Teague but to save their careers in some cases. I'd expect a response to appease the media pile on but it wont have any effect on the off field stuff where I reckon decisions have already been made and we are going through a bit of pantomime while this so called review takes place..

I thought the same thing last week and the week before. Wish it was that easy and while i like your optimism we are hardly a organisation that can switch our form on and off when it suits. We really haven't played good footy all year and have dropped away further the last 2 weeks and putting in 2 awful displays.

Crows will smell blood and will like their chances against a team that is devoid of any confidence flair and sadly ability.

Reply #70
I thought the same thing last week and the week before. Wish it was that easy and while i like your optimism we are hardly a organisation that can switch our form on and off when it suits. We really haven't played good footy all year and have dropped away further the last 2 weeks and putting in 2 awful displays.

Crows will smell blood and will like their chances against a team that is devoid of any confidence flair and sadly ability.

I'm working on the law of averages Shawny...if the game was in Adelaide I would say the result would be the other way.

Reply #71
Game is 4.10pm now. Allows Adelaide to fly in and out on the same day.

Reply #72
Yep reckon Crows will take home the 4 points, our Rucks and midfielders are  struggling Sam Walsh aside , the rest are just plodding along, had  Levi & a few others been available  it have been very  close, due to  the  ground advantage.
As it stands  , I can’t see it, unfortunately we don’t have the right cattle ready to go , as yet.

Reply #73
Sounds like it could be roof open and showers around.

Reply #74
Pitonett out for the season having ankle surgery, plus Fisher out this week. No Levi, Mirkov out 4 weeks. We are nearly ruckless.

Maybe go with 4 smalls in the centre square and not compete for the tapout......haha. Actually saw it done in the AFLW this year. A ruck got injured and knowing they weren't going to win any taps put 4 smalls at ground level in the centre square. Worked like a charm. Went along way to turning the game around as they had the outnumber at ground level and dominated out of the centre.