Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 16 Carlton vs Fremantle at MCG? (Read 7872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 16 Carlton vs Fremantle in Perth

Reply #15
It was nice to see those little signs from SoJ of what he can do in the midfield. Not the rucking that was bullcrap, but in terms of 2nd efforts, tackling, inside work, he is clearly a genuine midfield option for when Cripps or Walsh need a break. I don't expect SoJ to provide the run and spread, but he'd be a nice tall compliment to a good ruck if he wasn't rucking himself.

I hope they give him the chance again, did we run him as a tagger once before on Fyfe?

On the rucks, I thought most of this spreading the load stuff worked quite well, and I've got to wonder why we haven't done more of it to date. It's probably a bit fatiguing for the guys new to the gig, but it makes a huge difference to the 1st rucks ability to run out a game. Of course it depends on the opponent.

Did you notice Cripps and Walsh roving to the SoJ as the losing ruck, I can't say I ever seen this before, we just do not do it and it's a dead set puzzle why we don't. It's one of those things the more you do it the better you get at reading the opponents!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
"Casboult was handed a two-match suspension, which can be reduced to a one-game ban with an early plea,"

I hope he took the early plea!!!

Reply #17
Casboult in for mine. Darcy and Lobb will work TDK over. Casboult's last game in the VFL was pretty good from all accounts.

I'd like to see Newman in the starting 22 as well. He added a bit when he came on yesterday. Freo have some dangerous smalls in Henry, Switkowski and Schultz. Having Newman in might just be what we need to let Saad play like he did yesterday.

That would mean Murphy and someone else going out.....possibly Newnes?

Reply #18
"Casboult was handed a two-match suspension, which can be reduced to a one-game ban with an early plea,"

I hope he took the early plea!!!

He did and will definitely be in the mix for the Freo game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Didn't he just get a week?
I thought it was just one week, think he needs to play if available, dont want to over burden TDK and while Jack will always compete hard these are big units he is up against and the mini ruckman theory usually works for a short time before it blows up in your face and starts costing. Richmond have tried to cheat with Pickett but its hasnt worked of late and I reckon Levi is an essential, Freo are not overly tall down back either so both TDK and Levi might be able to do some damage when resting and take some heat off Harry.

Reply #20
Step 1 The response
The response this week (as opposed to last week) was exactly what we expected from a team under pressure.
Players came with a committed attitude.
It was particularly pleasing to see Williams response to the criticism.
(J Brown will probably take credit for firing him up ::)  ::) )
Our leaders for the most part (Cripps, Weitering and  Jones) set the example.
The latter two were a formidable combination.
...and Walsh, who had a down game against GWS, bounced back like the champion he already is.

Step 2 The back-up
Having performed like that the very worst thing that could happen would be to not back it up with an equally committed performance.
That's the test. We'll have some down games but it's important to string together a few good ones in a row to build on the confidence gained from the weekend.
These are the situations that bond players and form the basis of really good 'teams'.
They'll come  through the difficult times with the shared experience which will make them better as  a unit.

Reply #21
Think we need to bring in Casboult and Honey. Murphy and another out (likely Martin, he looks broken). Ironically Martin played ok, but I worry we are making the injury worse!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #22
Fyfe a likely inclusion. Tabberner out a few weeks
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #23
Apparantly Zac Williams has been suspended and will be unavailable for this match.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/967883

Reply #24
Zac Williams, Carlton, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Ben Keays, Adelaide Crows, during the third quarter of the Round 15 match between Carlton and the Adelaide Crows, played at Marvel Stadium on Sunday, June 27, 2021.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Reply #25
OK, so Murphy and Williams are definite outs. I'd be tempted to give Eddie a rest too.
Levi comes back in to give TDK a chop out.
I'm hoping the club isn't lying and Fisher comes back in.
Did someone like Honey do enough to get chance. Not from what I saw. Think Ramsey did OK. Would be happy for him to get a run.

Reply #26
Williams played ok but I think he is one we can cover with Newman who I thought was good when he came on as the sub.
Ramsey played well in the twos but I'd be tempted to play Kemp as the former is still very light in the body.
Honey didnt do enough vs the Bullants IMO even though his previous games were ok.....

Reply #27
Williams played ok but I think he is one we can cover with Newman who I thought was good when he came on as the sub.
Ramsey played well in the twos but I'd be tempted to play Kemp as the former is still very light in the body.
Honey didnt do enough vs the Bullants IMO even though his previous games were ok.....
Williams was voted 2nd BOG behind Walsh by the coaches.

Walsh got the perfect 10.
Williams got 7 votes.

'Played OK' is selling him a bit short.

He plays in a position where we might have some cover is probably a better way of putting it.

Reply #28
Williams was voted 2nd BOG behind Walsh by the coaches.

Walsh got the perfect 10.
Williams got 7 votes.

'Played OK' is selling him a bit short.

He plays in a position where we might have some cover is probably a better way of putting it.

I agree with you Kruds
But isn't a week a long time in football...

This time last week if we'd heard Williams was out for the Adelaide game the general feeling would probably have been "No great loss"

Reply #29
Williams gets a week but the hero who leapt into Weitering’s back is free to play 🙄

We should be demanding an explanation from the AFL 😡
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball