Skip to main content
Topic: Tokyo 2021 (Read 5393 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tokyo 2021

Reply #15
Worst opening ceremony I have ever seen.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Sweden up 3-2, 63mins
Unlucky to be awarded the first penalty to Kerr. Kerr's effort with the penalty she did get was very ordinary. Could have easily been 4-4, if my nonna had balls she'd be nonno to. Sweden will probably win gold.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #17
I'm torn about these athletes pulling the pin, I can appreciate why but not having experienced headspace issues myself I can't rationalise this with my own experience, at least none I'm aware of! ;D

But I also appreciate the other side of this coin, in some cases they have taken millions of dollars of public funding, along with taking a spot from a fellow competitor who was probably a Nats away from making the cut.

It's not as black and white as I think, but I appreciate they have to do what's right for them. The question probably then becomes do they get another change?

I recall that poor girl from the rowing, but then I recall her poor team-mates as well!

I've been on the end of a loss due to a Greg Norman like crumbling team-mate in a state final, that same person had already failed before in other teams and had been ejected by them, what to do? Luckily we stuck fat, the next year we got them through in the right frame of mind and we won, we knew from in season performances they were good enough having made and failed in multiple finals, but the Olympics is a different issue due to the long interval you might only get one shot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
In the context of a global pandemic causing a lot of people a lot of angst, I think its a miracle that people are able to go on living life as normally as possible, and kudos to everyone who is able to continue playing life each and every day with a straight bat.

Life is pretty ordinary at the moment for a lot of people, and getting yourself in peak competitive condition is likely difficult given its very easy to lose focus in the scheme of things.  For us, life is not terrible, and it could be much worse, but most of the people we are talking about have very little in the way of these sorts of issues and uncertainty hanging over their head.  I have to say on a personal level, seeing the uncertain future is quite shocking but I am a bit more level headed than most, and can appreciate that it is what it is.  Being an Olympic athlete, having had the games canned once, having no certainty about them going ahead until the 11th hour, and then getting there and not necessarily having a very good time might be something that would cause enough problems for most competitors.

Add the "#me too" factor to someone like Simone Biles and its completely understandable.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
In the context of a global pandemic causing a lot of people a lot of angst, I think its a miracle that people are able to go on living life as normally as possible, and kudos to everyone who is able to continue playing life each and every day with a straight bat.

Life is pretty ordinary at the moment for a lot of people, and getting yourself in peak competitive condition is likely difficult given its very easy to lose focus in the scheme of things.  For us, life is not terrible, and it could be much worse, but most of the people we are talking about have very little in the way of these sorts of issues and uncertainty hanging over their head.  I have to say on a personal level, seeing the uncertain future is quite shocking but I am a bit more level headed than most, and can appreciate that it is what it is.  Being an Olympic athlete, having had the games canned once, having no certainty about them going ahead until the 11th hour, and then getting there and not necessarily having a very good time might be something that would cause enough problems for most competitors.

Add the "#me too" factor to someone like Simone Biles and its completely understandable.

I hope Biles isn't playing the mental health card because she she fluffed a few landings. Disgrace if she did.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #20
'sides all that histrionic rubbish, we are doing pretty well.  Just wish those blasted uniforms were a dark green, not the shade of a faded eucalypt leaf.

Reply #21
I hope Biles isn't playing the mental health card because she she fluffed a few landings. Disgrace if she did.

Saw an interview and she indicated she knows she's near the end and that 24 is old aged for a gymnast.

She's a world champion and I made a comment to my wife the other night that she looked like she was going to burst into tears when competing. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Saw an interview and she indicated she knows she's near the end and that 24 is old aged for a gymnast.

She's a world champion and I made a comment to my wife the other night that she looked like she was going to burst into tears when competing. 
I'll stand corrected but there was an interview with her the night and it was after she pulled the pin. I find that very odd that a person suffering mental health issues would given an interview. Don't even start me on Cambage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
I'll stand corrected but there was an interview with her the night and it was after she pulled the pin. I find that very odd that a person suffering mental health issues would given an interview. Don't even start me on Cambage.

Fundamentally I agree with you.  Mental health gets used to explain away all manner of shocking behaviour, but I'd have to say that the last 18 months has probably tested more people more frequently, and some people who have previously had it all together are likely falling apart, and I've seen some other people I previously thought were a bit fragile actually coping better than expected and my assumption is that they probably feel a little bit more like they have a reason to not be at their best which relieves the pressure.

Mental health scenarios aren't that black and white.  Where you are good and you are bad.  Think more like a dam wall holding back a river.  For the most part, it holds and it does a decent job but you don't really see the leaks until its at breaking point.  The river is pretty much life.  The leaks where we see people starting to crack.  You'll see it on peoples faces and hear it in their voices where they just look defeated, and then one day the dam wall breaks and it takes a lot of help to put it back together again, but it is repairable provided there is no permanent damage done which prevents that from occurring.  The river symbolises life and its pressures.  The dam wall peoples ability to hold it all together.  The breaking is more the point where people tend to act in a manner that's out of character.

The modern issue is that its become a reason to explain what appears to be poor behaviour, but the hard part is determining whether or not the bad behaviour is the cause or the effect. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Fundamentally I agree with you.  Mental health gets used to explain away all manner of shocking behaviour, but I'd have to say that the last 18 months has probably tested more people more frequently, and some people who have previously had it all together are likely falling apart, and I've seen some other people I previously thought were a bit fragile actually coping better than expected and my assumption is that they probably feel a little bit more like they have a reason to not be at their best which relieves the pressure.

Mental health scenarios aren't that black and white.  Where you are good and you are bad.  Think more like a dam wall holding back a river.  For the most part, it holds and it does a decent job but you don't really see the leaks until its at breaking point.  The river is pretty much life.  The leaks where we see people starting to crack.  You'll see it on peoples faces and hear it in their voices where they just look defeated, and then one day the dam wall breaks and it takes a lot of help to put it back together again, but it is repairable provided there is no permanent damage done which prevents that from occurring.  The river symbolises life and its pressures.  The dam wall peoples ability to hold it all together.  The breaking is more the point where people tend to act in a manner that's out of character.

The modern issue is that its become a reason to explain what appears to be poor behaviour, but the hard part is determining whether or not the bad behaviour is the cause or the effect. 
Understand all that, having been close to a couple of people that have had mental breakdowns, at the point when the dam wall broke, the last thing on their mind was to talk "publicly" (obviously I dont mean hold a press conference). Quite the opposite. As you say, it manifests itself differently in different people.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
Jess Fox, what a legend, The GOAT, what a story!

And her old man, how Richard Fox keeps it together while commentating his daughter's sport is a miracle, I'd be a basket case!

You can see the gene pool that delivers the results, and AFL want to kybosh F&S! I realise it isn't a guarantee, but when you get a goodun they are seriously good!

btw; I did not hear it, I'm not even sure you can hear it on repeat, but I heard SEN did a freakish live broadcast of the run that should be considered legendary in itself!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Jess Fox, what a legend, The GOAT, what a story!

And her old man, how Richard Fox keeps it together while commentating his daughter's sport is a miracle, I'd be a basket case!

You can see the gene pool that delivers the results, and AFL want to kybosh F&S! I realise it isn't a guarantee, but when you get a goodun they are seriously good!

btw; I did not hear it, I'm not even sure you can hear it on repeat, but I heard SEN did a freakish live broadcast of the run that should be considered legendary in itself!
Didnt hear the SEN one, watched on 7. Great race, great effort. If you want to see what an athlete looks like who conducts themselves impeccably, look no further than Jessica Fox.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
This time, the rear bumper on her car should read "You are NOT passing another Fox" :)

Reply #28
It's done it again  ;D

After expressing indifference in the opening post, the Olympics have sucked me in.

As usually happens, I am now an expert in BMX and slalom canoeing. ;D  ;D

I'm also pretty sure I know more about swimming than the Australian swimming coaches.
What were they thinking with the order of swimming in the Women's 4x 200 relay ::)

Reply #29
Biles has made a miraculous recovery from her mental health issues and is back in the competition.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th