Skip to main content
Topic: Tokyo 2021 (Read 4663 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tokyo 2021

Reply #31
That kid Alex Porter is unlucky but his bike accident is typical of how carbon fibre or some 3D additive manufactured titanium will fail. This reduced reliability is the price paid for wanting the very lightest parts made from the strongest materials. Weight reduction is always a trade off with strength.

If I had a choice, I'd choose 3D Titanium over Carbon Fibre, as long as the 3D Titanium is made by people who know what they are doing.

I suspect the problem will be a inclusion or void type defect in the build, which has caused a crack to form and the crack then propagates through the body of the part. Titanium tends to not fail so catastrophically you would feel it start to give, bend then snap. Carbon fibre can shatter like glass failing almost explosively.

Down at Deakin near Geelong they have advanced carbon fibre techniques developed for forming car chassis and automotive wheels that are supposed to prevent/reduce sudden catastrophic failures, but I do not know anyone doing this for cycling. Supercars like McLaren, fighter planes and F1 race cars maybe, not even sure it's used for local touring cars the price is too high.

I know CSIRO made a special bike for one of our Olympic Athletes in years gone by, Anna Meares used one in her last campaign, that was titanium 3D printed using a scaffold technique developed by the Victorian Direct Manufacturing Centre, not sure the current Olympic suppliers use or license those techniques, they are also patented.

Oddly, the bike that failed had a rather unusual organic design for a 3D titanium part, some of this comes out of a design method called FEA.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Kookaburras got done by Belgium for Gold, 1-1 after normal time, went to one on ones. Belgium too good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Done and dusted and far more successful than I thought possible.  In fact, I was convinced that the Olympics would be cancelled at the last minute.

It's a tribute to the organisers that they were able to conduct the games in a city that is groaning under the strain of COVID.  The athletes also deserve special recognition for their efforts in what must have been difficult and unusual circumstances.  The number of PBs and ORs was remarkable.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Two lovely young girls competed in these games, and I had the privilege of being a coach to both back at little athletics in Berwick years ago. I myself feel it must have been such a hollow feeling with limited to almost no crowd for many events. Imagine how strange that would feel for an athlete.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #35
Two lovely young girls competed in these games, and I had the privilege of being a coach to both back at little athletics in Berwick years ago. I myself feel it must have been such a hollow feeling with limited to almost no crowd for many events. Imagine how strange that would feel for an athlete.
Indeed, however is it possible its more like their training settings? I would imagine some of those not used to it can be put off  by the large crowd?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
Just on the Decathlon....
A bit has been written about how Cedric Dubler 'sacrificed' his own race to help Ash Moloney to the Bronze.
There was no sacrifice.
While it was great to see the encouragement, Dubler's Decathlon 'ended' when he no heighted in the Pole Vault.
Had he recorded a height and ran a 1500 close to his best he would have scored 1000 points more than the 7000 he did.

His motivation for continuing was probably two fold.
Give Ash the encouragement, and be part of the unique celebrations that follow an Olympic Decathlon where everyone takes a 'lap of honour.'

Reply #37
How bloody brilliantly did the Aussies do? Talk about punching above our weight. Bravo to all concerned. To use a beautiful Yiddish word, the efforts of the Aussies (whether athlete or behind the scenes) gave me 'nachas.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
Just as long as we don't attend anything related to that mongrel country hosting the winter Olympics in 2022.  Worldwide boycott

Reply #39
Just as long as we don't attend anything related to that mongrel country hosting the winter Olympics in 2022.  Worldwide boycott
Agree.... been reading about the Yulin Dog Festival, just barbaric torture of live animals, wouldnt be sending my athletes there especially with the bully boy tactics they are employing with their military and economic policies.
They are a cheating nation and should have been banned from the Olympics...

Reply #40
Chinks >:D

Reply #41
Agree.... been reading about the Yulin Dog Festival, just barbaric torture of live animals, wouldnt be sending my athletes there especially with the bully boy tactics they are employing with their military and economic policies.
They are a cheating nation and should have been banned from the Olympics...

I do not recognise China on any level, sport, politics, nothing. There medal didn't count as far as I'm concerned. They are a deceitful, piss taking, evil disgrace of a nation.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th