Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 14561 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #75
I think the way we lost was the issue and attitude from the players. We lacked resources in terms of talls but that doesn't excuse work rate, spectating, non chasing and non tackling.
We had finals to play for, Eds 200th and a coaches career but that wasn't enough to motivate enough players to dig deep and try so losing imo wasn't the issue it was more how we lost...

If this theory is true (I don't agree with it myself, but anyway.....), then sacking a coach plays right into their hands, because instead of being made accountable, they are handed a scapegoat on a platter. And if that happens, you need to look at who allows that to happen, and who allows that culture to fester and take hold. And that, my dear Brother Elwood, leads to either the Board, or Executive, or both.

Reply #76
If this theory is true (I don't agree with it myself, but anyway.....), then sacking a coach plays right into their hands, because instead of being made accountable, they are handed a scapegoat on a platter. And if that happens, you need to look at who allows that to happen, and who allows that culture to fester and take hold. And that, my dear Brother Elwood, leads to either the Board, or Executive, or both.

Paul, I think most can cop losing when you are down on numbers with so many injuries but we had too many players not giving effort and that is what drives supporters more insane than losing 4 points.
 I have held the belief the Review is more of a theatrical exercise of the CEO's doing and that Teague needs a miracle to survive and that may come down to who is available and who wants the job. IMHO he survives if the likes of Clarko, Lyon or maybe even Hardwick say No and there are no other big name options. Losing to Nth in the manner we did just adds another bullet to a remaining empty chamber for him to fire.
Very disappointed for Teague after today, he deserves a better effort than what he got even with all our injuries..

Reply #77
There was one bright note on the day...Stocker's underpants. :o

Reply #79
Paul, I think most can cop losing when you are down on numbers with so many injuries but we had too many players not giving effort and that is what drives supporters more insane than losing 4 points.

Right on point EB ...

Reply #80
It was pretty obvious one team went out there to play like cocky millionaires (take hangers, kick flue banana dribble goals and not do one basic thing right). The other team did the basics right (especially after qtr time)..................................................................................

Teague said this in his presser, but for different reasons. He said the players went away from doing the basics when the game was starting to get away, and the boys saw that the basics weren't working (or they weren't executing) and tried to lift the team with party tricks. He also said clearances were a big problem (no Cripps), skill errors were a problem, and North players being allowed to stand up and dish off in tackles. gave credit to North for work rate and cleaner skills.

Reply #81
Teague said this in his presser, but for different reasons. He said the players went away from doing the basics when the game was starting to get away, and the boys saw that the basics weren't working (or they weren't executing) and tried to lift the team with party tricks. He also said clearances were a big problem (no Cripps), skill errors were a problem, and North players being allowed to stand up and dish off in tackles. gave credit to North for work rate and cleaner skills.

When you dont have an opponent or anyone chasing you your skills are usually cleaner.
Our tackling was schoolboy like... Nine tackles only in the make or break 3rd quarter..

Reply #82
The only positive I get from today's loss is the fact that the Review members have not yet concluded their deliberations.

On display today was a team selected from what is left after many injuries of an already poor list with too many players not up to AFL standard.

I feel sorry for Teague.  If there is a leadership group of senior players it exists in name only.  There is a complete lack of on-field leadership when pressure comes from the opposition and consequently most players play just for themselves.

I hope the Review is not a con.  If it is, as has been suggested, then I don't know what the future holds for Carlton.

Reply #83
The last thing we need is a media pile on,  Teague is going to be lucky to last the week at this rate... You'd think the Roos won the flag with the sycophantic media coverage. They beat an average side,  having a $hit day,  missing basically the entire forward half.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #84
May seem a little thing but not to me.

Cripps after kicking his 3rd goal gave a little celebration which I reckon says a fair bit about us as a club imo. Hes done this another time last year when we were getting pumped in a game a game we again were favourites to win.

He’s 3rd goal today came with just a few seconds left in the game and at a point where our season was officially over yet again yet our captain even if for a few seconds is pleased on a personal front for kicking his third goal.

Can you imagine any other captain showing any joy at that time of the match considering the result?

Our club on so many levels is way off the ruthless level you need to be to be successful.

Reply #85
Well the captain before him kind of set the scene didn't he?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #86
Half these flogs parading around in our jumper calling themselves "football players"
Need to take a good hard look at themselves. 
Get off instagram and stop making crap podcasts you weak wannabes - you make me sick.
Try actually putting in the hard yards and focus on your craft - not your f@kin skin care sponsor.
AND
Zac Fisher, you wanna roll with that crap hair cut, you'd wanna snag a goal or lay a tackle mate - otherwise you just look like a complete an utter little A grade flog.

Reply #87
Don’t know what all the suprise doom and gloom is about, we had no key forwards against Tarrant and McKay who held out the West Coast forward line in Perth recently, trying to use Cripps or Kennedy as forwards was only robbing Peter to pay Paul admittedly delivery wasn’t very good but the blokes who have been clearing the way for Walsh etc to deliver we’re standing in the forward line waiting for it. TDK was given a lesson by a bloke who has been one of the best ruckman in the league for nearly 10 he’s crafty,strong and a great tap ruck and has toweled up many a athletic opponent in his time. He tapped it to Cunnington on of the real good clearance mid fielders and a bull. Our bull was trying to play full forward. Larkey had a day out but is a good developing FF who enjoyed having Cunnington and Anderson kicking it to him.
They were able to play a game style they have been building and started to do well with chalking up a victory over the Eagles in Perth and a draw against Giants.   We were trying to play a game foreign to us and held on in the first half but then the wheels fell off and we completely lost our way.  No team can absorb the injuries we had for this game especially to key forwards one or two of McKay Charlie Gov Casboult even McDonald would have helped Pittonet or Casboult and TDK rucking allowing Silvagni to be #3 tall forward and moving Cripps and Kennedy back to the midfield..
As for Murphy those on here sh…tcanning him have short memories of someone who has served this club with distinction through some bloody tough years hoping we would improve enough for a flag shot in time for him to be part of it not p..ssing off to Geelong only to be let down by those in the background recruiting poorly and appointing coaches. One who tore our heart out by selfishness then one who took us back to square one starting over. He stuck around to give some experience it would be an honour to have him as a 300 game Carlton player and he deserves to be given those games that is how you build club culture. It’s hard enough to play one game but someone like Murphy has played nearly 300 and doesn’t deserve to be criticised by losers on here who haven’t had the talent or guts to play 1

Reply #88
Don’t know what all the suprise doom and gloom is about, we had no key forwards against Tarrant and McKay who held out the West Coast forward line in Perth recently, trying to use Cripps or Kennedy as forwards was only robbing Peter to pay Paul admittedly delivery wasn’t very good but the blokes who have been clearing the way for Walsh etc to deliver we’re standing in the forward line waiting for it. TDK was given a lesson by a bloke who has been one of the best ruckman in the league for nearly 10 he’s crafty,strong and a great tap ruck and has toweled up many a athletic opponent in his time. He tapped it to Cunnington on of the real good clearance mid fielders and a bull. Our bull was trying to play full forward. Larkey had a day out but is a good developing FF who enjoyed having Cunnington and Anderson kicking it to him.
They were able to play a game style they have been building and started to do well with chalking up a victory over the Eagles in Perth and a draw against Giants.   We were trying to play a game foreign to us and held on in the first half but then the wheels fell off and we completely lost our way.  No team can absorb the injuries we had for this game especially to key forwards one or two of McKay Charlie Gov Casboult even McDonald would have helped Pittonet or Casboult and TDK rucking allowing Silvagni to be #3 tall forward and moving Cripps and Kennedy back to the midfield..
As for Murphy those on here sh…tcanning him have short memories of someone who has served this club with distinction through some bloody tough years hoping we would improve enough for a flag shot in time for him to be part of it not p..ssing off to Geelong only to be let down by those in the background recruiting poorly and appointing coaches. One who tore our heart out by selfishness then one who took us back to square one starting over. He stuck around to give some experience it would be an honour to have him as a 300 game Carlton player and he deserves to be given those games that is how you build club culture. It’s hard enough to play one game but someone like Murphy has played nearly 300 and doesn’t deserve to be criticised by losers on here who haven’t had the talent or guts to play 1
Fair post that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
Good post Tommy.