Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 12342 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 20: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #180
That bloke is likely number 35-40 on our list currently so they will get more opportunities (or have already had their papers stamped.
That bloke could've been LOB before last week.....or Honey.....or Kemp.

First 2 contributed last week.....who is to say Kemp couldn't too.

Reply #182
Should never have delisted Ben.
I was 50-50 at the time, and the only reason i was partially in favour of keeping him was because we had a big shortage in his position and he has good genes.

But in terms of what he had shown as a player (surname aside) it was probably less than LOB had shown before last week.

If he comes good, we can always re-draft him. Wonder if we can father/son him again?

Reply #184
Ben will never make it.  Just no internal drive.

Reply #185
Inclined to agree, my gripe was he was delisted due to internal politics and not given the usual grace period that talls get to prove themselves especially with the arrival of CoVid. But he hasnt really shown much since leaving and its hard to make a case for him even with his pedigree. He was always viewed as a kid who had other interests outside football and maybe thats just how its played out with him. We gave Hugh Goddard the boot at the same time though, I thought logic might have said you keep at least one given we had/have no backup tall key defenders.

Reply #186
yep.

If you could put jacks attitude in bens body you'd have a Johnno brown.

Unfortunately Ben isn't there yet.  There's still time.  Look at kane lambert. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #187
Inclined to agree, my gripe was he was delisted due to internal politics and not given the usual grace period that talls get to prove themselves especially with the arrival of CoVid. But he hasnt really shown much since leaving and its hard to make a case for him even with his pedigree. He was always viewed as a kid who had other interests outside football and maybe thats just how its played out with him. We gave Hugh Goddard the boot at the same time though, I thought logic might have said you keep at least one given we had/have no backup tall key defenders.

And Macreadie too!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #188
If Ben had no internal drive i doubt he'd be running around in the VFL desperately trying to get another chance. I hope he comes good. At his height there is still plenty of time up his sleeve.

Reply #189
If Ben had no internal drive i doubt he'd be running around in the VFL desperately trying to get another chance. I hope he comes good. At his height there is still plenty of time up his sleeve.

It’s good that you can see the desperation that no one else can, I do agree he has “some” time to develop that.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #190
And Macreadie too!
Forgot about MacReadie, thought he started his career ok in difficult times but then hit a flat spot. If you are trying to grow your own KP defenders it made sense to keep at least one of the younger ones on the list as they take time.

Reply #192
Forgot about MacReadie, thought he started his career ok in difficult times but then hit a flat spot. If you are trying to grow your own KP defenders it made sense to keep at least one of the younger ones on the list as they take time.

He was the one I would have kept BUT he too was a glass man.

Knowing an Oscar Macdonald type was available it made sense to cut them all loose.  He's better than all of them. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #193
With respect to key defenders, IMO that mid-season draft should've been viewed as something to fill short term gaps/deficiencies....not pick a speculative type for the medium to long term. I know nothing about Jordan Boyd but would've thought we had his "type/size" reasonably covered and that a third tall was a better option given Marchbank was done. If/when one of Weitering or Jones goes down, as happened a few weeks ago, we have nobody to fill that gap...especially with McDonald also injured.

Reply #194
We need to win 3 of 3.

Freo have Brisbane in Perth, Eagles then St Kilda here (docklands). If they win all 3, they're in....but they're flaky. So expect one loss.

WCE have Dees in Perth, Dockers then Brsbane (possibly up there, otherwise here?) might win zero, might win 2. Win 2, they're in.

Saints have Syvegas here, Cats in Geelong, then Freo. Two wins at best.

Bombers have Bulldogs, Suns (up there possibly), Pies at the G. Two wins at best.

Tigers have North, Giants, Hawthorn - win all three and we win all three, they pip us most likely on %.

Totally agree with all of that. I reckon if we win all 3 we're still only about a 50% chance of making finals at best.

However, this season all of those mid-tier teams (like Carlton) have been so up and down that it is impossible to predict what will happen next. None of them are all that likely to go on a 3-0 run of wins - and certainly not Freo , WC or Rich - but who knows - we may as well have a crack.