Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6741 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Promise AFL Rd21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
JSOS absolutely killed it in the ruck last week.  Just keep the status quo, and let him do it again.  We may have stumbled into a great new tactic.    He was awesome with his pressure and as the “extra” mid fielder.  Keep it going until it stops working.

Reply #31
GC will, amongst a lot of others, not have Ellis or Greenwood.

Still missing/lacking talls forward and back, midfield thin after Miller and Swallow (Rowell has been a shadow post injury)

They are no chance, unless we play like we did against North!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Ruck no-one and have an extra on the ground. Saw it in the women's semi final when they lost a ruckman before half time and the extra on the ground worked a treat. Don't do it all the time to remain unpredictable but do it often.

Kennedy tried that a couple of times (don't really blame him!) and the Saints got easy centre clearances.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Kennedy tried that a couple of times (don't really blame him!) and the Saints got easy centre clearances.
Not sure it works in the centre, there is too much time and space around the circle, but I think it can work around the ground occasionally.

Kennedy didn't really look happy! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Not sure it works in the centre, there is too much time and space around the circle, but I think it can work around the ground occasionally.

Kennedy didn't really look happy! ;D

I think that it's essential that we put a body on the opposition ruckman at around the ground contests, even if our bloke doesn't actually contest the hitout.  Giving even an average ruckman a free hitout is virtually giving up a clearance.  Making him worry about an opponent increases our chances of sharking the hitout, particularly if, like SOS, that opponent has the nous and reaction time to make a second effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
JSOS absolutely killed it in the ruck last week.  Just keep the status quo, and let him do it again.  We may have stumbled into a great new tactic.    He was awesome with his pressure and as the “extra” mid fielder.  Keep it going until it stops working.

Hmm I think Richmond did it with Grieg in 2017? Also Picket has done it this year for Richmond. But I won't tell anyone if you don't  :D  :D

Reply #36

They won the hitouts 69-12 but the clearances by just 3.

Reply #37
TDK looks likes a reasonable chance to play based on the injury report, but Eddie is less likely. I'd look at resting Owies and bringing in Gov. Create a real problem with the 3 talls up forward and see how it pans out. Still have Fisher, E Curnow, Honey and Martin all lurking up forward around the big boys.

Reply #38
TDK looks likes a reasonable chance to play based on the injury report, but Eddie is less likely. I'd look at resting Owies and bringing in Gov. Create a real problem with the 3 talls up forward and see how it pans out. Still have Fisher, E Curnow, Honey and Martin all lurking up forward around the big boys.

Surely TDK being a potential play is hyperbole.  I'd be more worried about Harry not playing.  He looked a bit proppy and is no guarantee to play again this week.

TDK wont play surely (i have been wrong before).  If anything its all a bit of gamesmanship to make Gold Coast plan for the possibility of having a genuine ruck contest.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
Gold Coast might have Ellis and Day back in.

Connor Budarick    Knee    Season
 Matt Conroy    Knee    Season
 Brandon Ellis    Hamstring    Test  (2 weeks ago, it was listed as a 3 week injury, rolling the dice?)
 Hugh Greenwood    Knee    Season
 Nick Holman    Abdomen    TBC
 Jack Hombsch    Sternum    TBC
 Oleg Markov    Hamstring    1 week
 Rhys Nicholls    Back    Indefinite
 Rory Thompson    Knee    Season
 Lachie Weller    Concussion    Test
 Jarrod Witts    Knee    Season
Updated: Tuesday, August 3

Early prognosis
In good news Ellis is back training with the senior team, will do the main session on Thursday and is expected to be available this weekend. Sam Day played the opening 10 minutes of Saturday's abandoned VFL game and could come into consideration this week after overcoming a foot problem. - Michael Whiting
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
Gold Coast might have Ellis and Day back in.

Connor Budarick    Knee    Season
 Matt Conroy    Knee    Season
 Brandon Ellis    Hamstring    Test  (2 weeks ago, it was listed as a 3 week injury, rolling the dice?)
 Hugh Greenwood    Knee    Season
 Nick Holman    Abdomen    TBC
 Jack Hombsch    Sternum    TBC
 Oleg Markov    Hamstring    1 week
 Rhys Nicholls    Back    Indefinite
 Rory Thompson    Knee    Season
 Lachie Weller    Concussion    Test
 Jarrod Witts    Knee    Season
Updated: Tuesday, August 3

Early prognosis
In good news Ellis is back training with the senior team, will do the main session on Thursday and is expected to be available this weekend. Sam Day played the opening 10 minutes of Saturday's abandoned VFL game and could come into consideration this week after overcoming a foot problem. - Michael Whiting
We should flog them and build up the percentage...7 goals plus win......

Reply #41
I'm thinking 10 at least.

Reply #42
I'm thinking 10 at least.
Im thinking "We Are Carlton", win the unwinable, lose the unlosable. Until they stop doing that, it will remain in my psyche.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
Just like it to destroy Dew.