Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 7061 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
Sorry All but after yesterdays effort indulge me with a RANT>
1) F@rk
2) F@rk me
3) For Farks Sake
4) What the F@rk

Thank you RANT over.

Oh and maybe just maybe we weren't good last week, ST KIlda just had a day off based on what happened last night
Lol well said!

Reply #61
What is the game plan? What are the structures?
Either the players aren’t sure or our opponents are well and truly onto them?
When it’s not working, what is plan B (and plan C)?
We have a group of elite footballers that don’t work as a team.
It’s not the personnel at fault. It’s the management of them.
Our new club song is “Land of Confusion” (if Phil Collins doesn’t mind)

Can't coach a side that produces little effort. No game plan is working.

Reply #62
Sorry All but after yesterdays effort indulge me with a RANT>
1) F@rk
2) F@rk me
3) For Farks Sake
4) What the F@rk

Thank you RANT over.

Oh and maybe just maybe we weren't good last week, ST KIlda just had a day off based on what happened last night

No, we are very good when we WANT to be. Last week we were contrite and put in. when we do, every side has trouble with us. Watch us turn up next week now it's all over. We only had to produce and effort against North and GC and we'd play finals. That's what is the most frustrating. Was such a simple thing to do.

Reply #63

The player’s minds are not always focussed on the task in hand for whatever the reasons. Too much show pony stuff and not enough G & D. However the lack of on field leadership is also so bl00dy obvious. We never see enough of leaders showing the way and helping/directing other players which I’ve seen plenty of with other teams. The culture seems to be in the main to show off their own “brilliance “.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
In the end all we had to do was properly try against North and the Gold Coast and we'd likely play finals. That was it, it was that simple. That is as frustrating as it gets. What AFL player in his right mind doesn't care about finals. At least last year we could blame choking in the last qtr against Collingwood and GWS in consecutive games as to why we missed out, but this year a complete lack of effort. Amazing with our "efforts" as that we have 8 wins, and lots of very competitive scoreboard losses. I use "scoreboard losses" as alot of those effort were terrible too. What a waste!

Reply #65
The player’s minds are not always focussed on the task in hand for whatever the reasons. Too much show pony stuff and not enough G & D. However the lack of on field leadership is also so bl00dy obvious. We never see enough of leaders showing the way and helping/directing other players which I’ve seen plenty of with other teams. The culture seems to be in the main to show off their own “brilliance “.

Yes, the culture is something terrible. Culture, drive and motivation is 90% player driven, peer pressure. Doesn't happen.

Reply #66
Yep, you can provide a game plan, structure etc but if your players wont buy in on a consistent basis then any coach is going to struggle. Too much mud thrown at Teague and not enough at the playing group and leadership on the ground.
Teagues problem is he is too kind to this lazy bunch of slack Ar$es and keeps making excuse for their lack of effort and saying he still has faith in them.
David Parkins veins would have popped by now coaching this mob and Robert Walls would have to order extra boxing gloves
to give them a Strempel style training session or two. Like I said before the previous playing group let Ratten down and this group have tortured Teague, no wonder he is losing his hair. Better order some reinforcement in the coaches boxes if Clarko gets the job because he  will be punching holes in walls everywhere trying to figure out whats wrong with the culture and player mentality.

Reply #67
It must be nice being an ex player and winning the People's Choice Awards at Carlton. I guess a form of collective amnesia descends over sites like this (or maybe selective historicity) since I'm quite certain from 2007 till now we had more coaches than just Ratten and Teague.

Reply #68
From Juddy's autobiography

"Judd recounted the culture difference between West Coast and Carlton; and was blown away by the difference. He said at West Coast they expected to win and everyone trained accordingly, they were disciplined and all trained hard with the intent of winning a premiership. Conversely at Carlton (Wooden spooners) the players were simply hoping not to lose by too large a margin. Lesson-You get what you expect and deserve and train accordingly. At Carlton players were playing for a contract next year, not playing to win a premiership! Year upon year of finishing on the bottom has a much more destructive effect on culture than a handful of high draft picks could ever repair!"

Reply #69
Not really Paul. We know that there are other posters on here who can be relied on to remind us of the others.  8)

Reply #70
Not really Paul. We know that there are other posters on here who can be relied on to remind us of the others.  8)

Lol. I'll pay that. We should thank our lucky stars for those other posters, that's all I can say.

Reply #71
From Juddy's autobiography

"Judd recounted the culture difference between West Coast and Carlton; and was blown away by the difference. He said at West Coast they expected to win and everyone trained accordingly, they were disciplined and all trained hard with the intent of winning a premiership. Conversely at Carlton (Wooden spooners) the players were simply hoping not to lose by too large a margin. Lesson-You get what you expect and deserve and train accordingly. At Carlton players were playing for a contract next year, not playing to win a premiership! Year upon year of finishing on the bottom has a much more destructive effect on culture than a handful of high draft picks could ever repair!"

Are those actual quotes from his book ? What you've posted there sounds word for word like this fellow :

http://www.injoewetrust.com.au/2015/10/25/10-take-aways-from-chris-judds-autobiography/

To my reading it's him paraphrasing and not quoting from the book as such - he may well have got the substance right, but I'd be keen to read Judd's actual words.

Judd arrived in 2007, and he is one of an absurd number of individuals who have come in and tried to improve culture. Dozens and dozens of coaches, players, recruiters etc. And here we are. The playing list and coaching stuff have changed many times over since 2007. So singling out individuals as the reason for this bad culture won't work. Individuals have been replaced again and again. 

Reply #72
Are those actual quotes from his book ? What you've posted there sounds word for word like this fellow :

http://www.injoewetrust.com.au/2015/10/25/10-take-aways-from-chris-judds-autobiography/

To my reading it's him paraphrasing and not quoting from the book as such - he may well have got the substance right, but I'd be keen to read Judd's actual words.

Judd arrived in 2007, and he is one of an absurd number of individuals who have come in and tried to improve culture. Dozens and dozens of coaches, players, recruiters etc. And here we are. The playing list and coaching stuff have changed many times over since 2007. So singling out individuals as the reason for this bad culture won't work. Individuals have been replaced again and again.

That is exactly what Judd said a few years ago. There is no argument about him being right. Cultures unfortunately pervade through a club. Personnel changes but not all at once so it gets "passed down", for want of a better word. That's why bad cultures hang around.

Reply #73
Lol. I'll pay that. We should thank our lucky stars for those other posters, that's all I can say.

👍

Reply #74
I think LOB had a crack and at least he can hit a target… most of his kicks are strong, he keeps them low and places them well. Yeah, I didn’t see the whole game and his stats were ordinary…