Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 21: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 7014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 21: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
I think LOB had a crack and at least he can hit a target… most of his kicks are strong, he keeps them low and places them well. Yeah, I didn’t see the whole game and his stats were ordinary…
I posted in the in-game thread.

LOB had only touched it 6 times up to 3/4 time.
He had 8 touches in the last to end with 14.

Reply #76
Blokes like LOB, Fisher, Dow, Kennedy, Williamson and even SPS need to be played from here on. Last chance hotel (although I think Dow and Kennedy are safe).

Reply #77
Rocky I thought Kennedy was one of our better players on Saturday. His form since coming back into the team has been okay and warrants another contract. If Walsh doesn't get up for this weekend against Port then SPS might get his last hurrah.

Reply #78
No, we are very good when we WANT to be. Last week we were contrite and put in. when we do, every side has trouble with us. Watch us turn up next week now it's all over. We only had to produce and effort against North and GC and we'd play finals. That's what is the most frustrating. Was such a simple thing to do.

Its hard to work out each week whether it is Carlton playing well or the opposition not playing well. Maybe a bit harsh thinking like this but seeing what this team has been doing over the last few years i am becoming cynical. Now that we have lost Harry, next week will be a bath

Reply #79
Its hard to work out each week whether it is Carlton playing well or the opposition not playing well. Maybe a bit harsh thinking like this but seeing what this team has been doing over the last few years i am becoming cynical. Now that we have lost Harry, next week will be a bath

Ch7 reported H might be right to play, Walshy's injury is on the minor side.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Hmmmmm, he's 11 ahead of his closest rival. Think they'll give him a rest up.

Reply #81

Ch.9 reported that he is out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
What I don't understand is why we started the game with one of the best midfielders in the competition on the half back flank.  It's not as though we don't have enough half back flankers on our list.

The other question I have is why did we play an extra behind the ball when we needed to score.  Surely the coaches have worked out that playing a five man forward line makes it easier for the opposition to win intercept possessions and set up forward 50 entries  ::)

If you set out not to lose the game, your chances of winning are minimised.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83

Ch.9 reported that he is out!
Ch7 must have ballsed the report up and got them mixed up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Ch7 must have ballsed the report up and got them mixed up.

Still reporting today BigH out, Walsh in the clear.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
What I don't understand is why we started the game with one of the best midfielders in the competition on the half back flank.  It's not as though we don't have enough half back flankers on our list.

The other question I have is why did we play an extra behind the ball when we needed to score.  Surely the coaches have worked out that playing a five man forward line makes it easier for the opposition to win intercept possessions and set up forward 50 entries  ::)

If you set out not to lose the game, your chances of winning are minimised.
maybe he's trying to limit the impact on a young mid and try and use other players at the coalface?  Blokes who we need to make a decision on?

Looks like Teague is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't to me.

Didn't man up Stewart one week.  Should have played an extra back the next, shouldn't have played the extra back the following.

Personally the players are reacting to game situations and rather than telling them what to do they need to work it out and see how being accountable results in a 7 man defence and how we need to get opposition to react to us rather than the other way around.

Still there will be criticism for that too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #87
maybe he's trying to limit the impact on a young mid and try and use other players at the coalface?  Blokes who we need to make a decision on?

Looks like Teague is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't to me.

Didn't man up Stewart one week.  Should have played an extra back the next, shouldn't have played the extra back the following.

Personally the players are reacting to game situations and rather than telling them what to do they need to work it out and see how being accountable results in a 7 man defence and how we need to get opposition to react to us rather than the other way around.

Still there will be criticism for that too.

Walsh is one of the Brownlow favourites and the coach is trying to protect him?  The commentators thought that Teague was trying to negate a possible hard tag.

The game was there to be won and we started with our best midfielder missing from the centre bounce 🙄

I don’t really want to go over the Stewart debacle again, but it’s not about manning him up.  It’s about allowing one of the best intercept defenders free rein without an opponent to worry about.

Playing a five man forward line against the Suns made our forward 50 entries ineffective and allowed them to rebound and put our defence under pressure.  A very strange tactic for a team that needed to score.

And it’s inconceivable that players went to a five man forward line without instructions from the coach.

I’m still in keep Teague camp but he really needs some help with his tactics and structures.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #88
@DJC ^^

So we shouldn't use the other guys at the coalface, (one of the criticism from the North game, was that Cripps and Walsh in the middle limited the impact of Kennedy and Dow)?

Do we want to find out whether or not Lochie O'Brien is worth persisting with?  Or do we lambast him for following his opponent into defence to create a 7 man defense?

Ive got no issue with what you write, but I'm just trying to show you that there are two sides to every decision, and if one wants to take a position either way, you can justify or criticise the thinking for roughly the same logic applied differently.

I personally didn't rate the decision to start Walsh off the half back line, but in footy, where they start is irrelevant, its where they spend most of their time that counts, and I didn't necessarily see Walsh spend 3/4 of the game in a back pocket, or half back flank trying to drive us forward off the half back line he just started in the back 6. 

Dal Santo pointed out Jack Martin's work rate in the first quarter on the weekend, and that to me signified a much bigger problem.  He spent his time running around the ground (fantastic work rate) only to burn all his chips, and not necessarily achieve much for the benefit of the overall team and structure.  What one commentator talked up, I saw a real system issue unfolding at the time, and thought to myself, why on earth would one of our players do shuttle runs between the arcs to make position not to get used?  What holes were they plugging, what did this do to our overall team structure, and is this the reason we couldn't generate run off half back?  Its all relative.  Systems should make the workload easier, because they have people sliding into positions to cover for someone who has gone off script, but not when they are working up and down the ground like that.  Martin's movement was a positive for his workrate and a negative for structures, with a net break even or even to the detriment of the team.  Unfortunately, this is what people see, this is what they laud, and this is where they dont understand that this only serves to confuse the inexperienced members of the team, even if it does blow up and opponent and does look like a bloke is trying really hard.  They are too busy trying to do it all, and end up doing nothing.

My key take away at the moment, is that you can guage how well we are going to go at the ruck contest.  The Jack Silvagni to the ruck ran out of usefulness on the weekend when facing Zac Smith who is a big strong bloke and was towelling up anyone we sent in there, because De Koning isnt battle hardened, and JSOS isnt a ruckman.  That will play out again this week with Lycett in the ruck, so Im expecting that the mids are going to have to lift significantly this week. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson