Skip to main content
Topic: Tasmania - League expansion or relocate/JV for a club  (Read 1834 times) previous topic - next topic

Tasmania - League expansion or relocate/JV for a club

Can't see the AFL creating a 19th side (and bye complications), the AFL would need to go to 20 (with maybe NT the other team) if a Tassie Team is to get up. Which then dilutes the talent pool across the league too.

Or relocate/joint venture a Melb team further south...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-13/afl-carter-review-into-tasmanian-team/100371468

Is it something worth contemplating that the Blues might take up a handful of games in Tassie? I'd suspect not, no issues with us pulling a crowd, good membership already, etc.

Hawks and Norf better positioned in anycase?

Discuss  :D

(Searched and couldn't find a designated Tassie thread, hence this new one).

Re: Tasmania - League expansion or relocate/JV for a club

Reply #1
Be a firm No from me....dont want to be the AFL's lacky Tasmania team in the making and lose any identity.
We might be down but we are not out and any team volunteering to play games down there will on the shortlist to become part of the permanent landscape.

Reply #2
You wouldn't want to be a club falling on  hard times at the moment or you'll end up with a Postcode in the 7000s

Reply #3
I always thought the Saints were a logical alignment for Tassie.

Reply #4
I always thought the Saints were a logical alignment for Tassie.
I've said the same in the past.

Southern Saints is what id go with. They can play half here and half there.

Since i first suggested that there had been vflw team use the same name.

If go a step further and do the same thing with gold coast and Darwin.... make them the Northern Suns.

Reply #5
Can't see the AFL creating a 19th side (and bye complications), the AFL would need to go to 20 (with maybe NT the other team) if a Tassie Team is to get up. Which then dilutes the talent pool across the league too.

Or relocate/joint venture a Melb team further south...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-13/afl-carter-review-into-tasmanian-team/100371468

Is it something worth contemplating that the Blues might take up a handful of games in Tassie? I'd suspect not, no issues with us pulling a crowd, good membership already, etc.

Hawks and Norf better positioned in anycase?

Discuss  :D

(Searched and couldn't find a designated Tassie thread, hence this new one).

Always thought 20 teams, two conferences....whether that's A and B or equalised not sure....

Everyone plays each other twice then finals.

Perhaps finals within each conference then take the best two from each conference - in a final four format.

Or just the winner from each conference?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
This is being setup for North to relocate, and kick the Dawks out of Tassie like the AFL always wanted, they already have a Tassie coach!

In any case, the Dawks will abandon Tassie as soon as the new training base is completed in Dingley.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Kind of ironic - North Melbourne playing in Tassie and South Melbourne playing in Sydney

Reply #8
Always thought 20 teams, two conferences....whether that's A and B or equalised not sure....

Everyone plays each other twice then finals.

Perhaps finals within each conference then take the best two from each conference - in a final four format.

Or just the winner from each conference?

Can't use the 'c' word. People lose their $hit over it.

I first came up with that same idea 10 years ago (and a couple variations) and despite it making complete sense (like you realise) people refused to get behind simply because they don't the idea of splitting up the comp (or copying the yanks)

20 teams (10 in vic!) makes perfect sense

Reply #9
Can't use the 'c' word. People lose their $hit over it.

I first came up with that same idea 10 years ago (and a couple variations) and despite it making complete sense (like you realise) people refused to get behind simply because they don't the idea of splitting up the comp (or copying the yanks)

20 teams (10 in vic!) makes perfect sense
US sporting terminology and concept, utter garbage AFIC.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
I still don't understand how splitting it into conferences would work better than it does now.

(You can probably access a post where you've laid it out before Kruds. Maybe show us again.)

Reply #12
I still don't understand how splitting it into conferences would work better than it does now.

We would have a draw, rather than a fixture.

It would be fairer and less tinkering from the AFL to pump up their favourite son at the time.

Reply #14
See what i mean @flyboy77

If i could show you similar from another country, would it make a difference?
No, it just happens that the US come up with more stupid stuff than anyone else. For the record, I hate ALL US sports.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time