Skip to main content
Topic: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021 (Read 6494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021

Reply #60
Another day, another Plowman debate. Polled in the top 10 under 2 coaches. Spoken of by Teague as a real team player, and would be one of the few who goes against what SOS says is our biggest flaw : not being a selfless team and not sacrificing for each other. 

Reply #61
Well done Walsh, magnificent 👏🏽

And Weiters and H.

Top 3 - forward, mid, back 👌🏼 let’s go 2022 boys!

Reply #62
Another day, another Plowman debate. Polled in the top 10 under 2 coaches. Spoken of by Teague as a real team player, and would be one of the few who goes against what SOS says is our biggest flaw : not being a selfless team and not sacrificing for each other. 

Look at the 2nd post in this thread.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #65
Do we give votes for participation?

Betts finished 9th and was delisted. Pretty obvious what happened there.

It is.    We really had a poor year.

Walsh, Weitering and McKay had good seasons.   Jones too.   Ed Curnow.   Who else on the list would get a pass mark?

Betts finished 9th and while he didn't have a great season was it better than Newnes, Dow, Fogarty, Stocker, Murphy, SPS, Williams, Docherty, Cottrell and Newman?   All played more than 14 games.   

Being our 9th best player in 2021 is not a great result.

Reply #66
I thought Betts was ordinary for most of 2021, lacking opportunities down forward maybe but he played one year too many IMO.
Finishing 9th in our B&F was flattering for him and probably points to a lack of depth and consistency with many of our players.
Jones would have been in my top 5.......saved us many times and hardly played a bad game considering the duress he was under.

Reply #67
Jones would have been in my top 5.......saved us many times and hardly played a bad game considering the duress he was under.
I think Jones brought himself undone in ball use and the occasional chaos he sometimes causes, he saved us plenty of times, but he cost quite a few times as well.

But I accept that in this regard Jones and Plowman are similar, and too much is left up to too few! You know they are not perfect, they'll do 8 out of 10 things right every game, and do it without fear or hesitation, but you can't let them be swamped with events because it will cost you eventually. Weitering and any defender is no different, Stocker is about an 8 out of 10 man, so was SPS, Weitering ands Saad were probably at 9 out of 10, but the difference is critical.

The key to Jones and Weitering, is in that 8 or 9 are some things they do that others just can't ever do!

It's a bit like Robbo before MM cut him, all the good was undone by one bad, the coaches never forget those coach killing moments! If Robbo hadn't punched that ball through the goals, all his off-field stuff would have been forgotten like Didak or Shaw, and he could probably have continued at Carlton.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Look at the 2nd post in this thread.
That should end the debate, not start it.

But it's all made up anyway because.....why again?

Reply #69
I thought Betts was ordinary for most of 2021, lacking opportunities down forward maybe but he played one year too many IMO.
Finishing 9th in our B&F was flattering for him and probably points to a lack of depth and consistency with many of our players.

Betts had a really good patch through the middle of the season where he kicked a number of goals, which is reflected through the period where he got a good run of votes. Was easily our 2nd best goalkicker.

Reply #70
That should end the debate, not start it.

Ask the mods to lock the threads then after your statements if you don't want replies.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #71
Betts had a really good patch through the middle of the season where he kicked a number of goals, which is reflected through the period where he got a good run of votes. Was easily our 2nd best goalkicker.

I reckon Eddie should have been awarded votes in rounds 4, 5, 7, 8, 10-12,14,16 and 18.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
There were a number of aspects to the JNM I thought were interesting. Four players that were drafted since 2015 were in the top ten and three made up the top three. Four players in the the top ten were defenders and only three were mid-fielders. For all the criticism of the back line, clearly the coaching panel thought they were amongst our best players and since the game is now very much a mid-field game, the result shows a lack of depth in the mid-field. Hence the recruiting of Cerra and Hewitt.

Reply #73
There were a number of aspects to the JNM I thought were interesting. Four players that were drafted since 2015 were in the top ten and three made up the top three. Four players in the the top ten were defenders and only three were mid-fielders. For all the criticism of the back line, clearly the coaching panel thought they were amongst our best players and since the game is now very much a mid-field game, the result shows a lack of depth in the mid-field. Hence the recruiting of Cerra and Hewitt.
B&F voting is often obscure - because the votes are cast by 4 of the coaches (in the current CFC system), the vote-givers are very aware of the task(s) that have been given to a player on a given day.  So, a defender who stops a specific opponent may get no kudos via the Brownlow or the media, but get big votes internally (and this where guys like Plowman get votes that we in the grandstand don't necessarily understand).

Just to make it even more obscure, the coaches don't have to submit votes - so, on the days where we play poorly, very few votes are allocated, and vice versa when we win well.

Despite the ambiguities in the system, not too many would disagree with the final order.   
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #74
Its all a clear indication of how poor we've been and how few of our highly paid (& arguably talented) players fired a short in 2021. If Plowman & E Curnow are in our top 10 next year I'd say we're in deep trouble.

I'm hoping that we see a good representation of Williams, McGovern, Martin, TDK, Dow, Cerra, Hewett, C Curnow, Cunningham, Honey, Kemp etc in the top 10 next season. Hoping and praying.