Skip to main content
Topic: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021 (Read 6424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Congratulation Sam Walsh - B+F winner 2021

Reply #45
Round by Round

Reply #46
Round by Round

So both Eddie and Plowman got more votes in the first half of the year, rather than at the back end of the year to meet whatever triggers some might suggest they were pushed towards.
*oops*

Reply #47
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/extraordinary-walsh-hailed-after-claiming-maiden-john-nicholls-medal-20211014-p58zz9.html

The 21-year-old was a ball magnet, averaging almost 30 disposals per game. He was No.1 ranked at the club for tackles, uncontested possessions and score involvements. His toughness in the contest, outside run, and ability to hit the scoreboard were impressive.......................................................

Reply #48
It's more a mark of how far we've fallen. Would Plowman get a list spot at any other club right now? Not in a million years.

Yet he's not just getting a game but getting pats on the back from our coaches despite the numerous obvious deficiencies in his game and never dropped no matter how poorly he performs. Think back to the Dean, Sexton, SOS, McKay, Christou, etc. or the Bruce Doull / Geoff Southby days.... our standards are woeful by comparison.

Intercepting in the back half is more important now than it ever was back in those days so having poor decision makers / turnoverers down there is a problem I'm hoping the new coaching staff come with a level of intolerance for. I've had enough of hearing Carlton supporters making excuses and accepting mediocrity.

Yes, all these coaches being happy enough with his performances that they can’t help themselves but pick him each week, if only they’d be more open to your advice…
By the way, I don’t know if any other team would give him a game, as he plays for us, but he did play 20 games for GWS, but they’re fools as well…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #49
Yes, all these coaches being happy enough with his performances that they can’t help themselves but pick him each week, if only they’d be more open to your advice…
By the way, I don’t know if any other team would give him a game, as he plays for us, but he did play 20 games for GWS, but they’re fools as well…

He is slow, a poor kick and a poor decision maker. He wouldn't get a game at GC right now let alone GWS.

Reply #50
Don't think he'll ever be anymore than a 6 / 7 outta ten

Reply #52
So both Eddie and Plowman got more votes in the first half of the year, rather than at the back end of the year to meet whatever triggers some might suggest they were pushed towards.
*oops*

What are you on about? I said I believe the votes are rigged/made up. Not done after each round.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
What are you on about? I said I believe the votes are rigged/made up. Not done after each round.
Well that takes the conspiracy level to a whole new height of crazy then.

Reply #54
Well that takes the conspiracy level to a whole new height of crazy then.

Fixing a best and fairest is a whole new level?
Some people here believe 9/11 was an inside job.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
I wonder if sometimes Plow hasn't been somewhat unfairly judged due to his high draft position? I don't see a world beater, but I do see a bloke who gives his all for the club and his mates. I do see someone who has been given some dreadful match-ups and expectations. My only knock on him would be his joking and laughing with opponents after a horrible loss... but that's likely just his nature. Conversely, I don't think I've ever seen him take a short step and I've often seen him one of the first blokes to come to a mate's help in a dustup, etc. He was often the bloke, along with Weiters and Jonesy, who'd come to Stocks' support as he was learning and making mistakes.

He's just the sort of bloke who could do better under our new coaching regime. Time will tell. And that goes for a good number of our blokes. Plenty of cautious optimism here.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
Plowman is just one of those defenders that when he makes an error it usually costs a goal and people remember that error but he also does a lot of the hard team things that coaches know but supporters don’t.
Jones errors give away just as many goals but he doesn’t cop the crap that Plowman does.
All in the view of the supporter I got a friend who when we were discussing Plowmans B&F placing said maybe the opposition gave him votes or he had pics of defensive coach Amos in a comprising position! I thought he had an alright year.
Interesting though how defence was our problem but our defenders placed prominently in the top 10 🤔

Reply #58
Just a quick scan of some of those round by round numbers.
Jack Silvagni  polled in 14/15 games.
Doc in every  game he played.
and after the bye Kennedy had the most votes after Walsh and Weitering.

Reply #59
I wonder if sometimes Plow hasn't been somewhat unfairly judged due to his high draft position? I don't see a world beater, but I do see a bloke who gives his all for the club and his mates. I do see someone who has been given some dreadful match-ups and expectations. My only knock on him would be his joking and laughing with opponents after a horrible loss... but that's likely just his nature. Conversely, I don't think I've ever seen him take a short step and I've often seen him one of the first blokes to come to a mate's help in a dustup, etc. He was often the bloke, along with Weiters and Jonesy, who'd come to Stocks' support as he was learning and making mistakes.

He's just the sort of bloke who could do better under our new coaching regime. Time will tell. And that goes for a good number of our blokes. Plenty of cautious optimism here.

He's not Robinson Crusoe; most players have a laugh with opponents, many of whom are former teammates.  I think it's a sign of the times but it doesn't mean that Plowman, or any other player, isn't hurting after a loss.  Perhaps it's a coping mechanism.

I think that Plowman will do better under the new regime ... if we play more effective defence before the ball gets to our defensive 50.

I saw an interesting statistical comparison:

Plowman
Disposal Efficiency: 80.4%
Clangers: 1.9 per game
Turnovers: 1.7 per game
Contested Defensive Losses: 21.6%
Defensive Half Pressure Acts: 6.1 per game

Jones
Disposal Efficiency: 77.4%
Clangers: 2.4 per game
Turnovers: 3.1 per game
Contested Defensive Losses: 11.8%
Defensive Half Pressure Acts: 4.1 per game

Weitering
Disposal Efficiency: 74.0%
Clangers: 2.6 per game
Turnovers: 3.4 per game
Contested Defensive Losses: 20.8 percent
Defensive Half Pressure Acts: 4.2 per game

The significance of those statistics is diminished by the different roles of the three players but we don't pile on Jones or Weitering when their turnovers or defensive losses give up goals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball