Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 6200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #120
My take on Boyd from the pre-season game(s) i saw him in was that he was dead last on the pecking order on our list and daylight was second last.

Now, i could see why we chose him when we did (even if he wasn't a big need - hello KPD!) but he did have a decent kick on him and didn't mind a run. Between him, and LOB, we didn't have much else (obviously behind Saad...and maybe Martin).
But his kicking was absolutely horrendous in the praccy matches and i can't see how it will improve with the increased pressure of an actual AFL game.
I hope i'm wrong, but i think this is our biggest selection blunder thus far.

Apparently Boyd's disposal efficiency in the VFL last week was 92%.

His disposal wasn't all that bad in the pre-season games, he just made some very bad decisions that resulted in turnovers and opposition goals.  Hopefully, he'll keep it simple, take the best option and leave the pin-point passes to his more experienced teammates.

Going into a game with two newby defenders would normally make me nervous but our defensive pressure all over the ground has improved to the point where our back six aren't under the pressure that they have been in past seasons.  We're ranked first in least opponent inside 50s per game and that's got to make life easier for our defenders.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
Wasn't Saad 100% efficiency in rd 1?

As near as damn it!  Not so good in Round 2 at only 73%.

Saad's ability to hit a teammate kicking across his body is uncanny.  We'll miss his breaking the lines, kicking penetration and the way he disrupts the opposition defence.  He gained 499m in Round 1 and 391 in Round 2.  Hopefully, having five elite midfielders on the ground will cover that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122
This game has become a real test now, if we get a win we might be the real deal this time on the merry-go-round.

2012 happened lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #123
Wasn't Saad 100% efficiency in rd 1?
Those long kicks that clear the zone but go to nobody or even an opponent are considered efficient, that is why Dangerflog rates so well for those 65m bombs he kicks to nobody.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
Those long kicks that clear the zone but go to nobody or even an opponent are considered efficient, that is why Dangerflog rates so well for those 65m bombs he kicks to nobody.

I agree on Danger but Saad is probably our best user of the footy.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #125
Danger game, but on paper, we still look much stronger than them. If the midfield fires like the in the first two rounds we should get way more scoring opportunities. Unfortunately it's these sorts of games in recent years, ones we should win, where we've fallen over. Win this week and one of only 3 undefeated teams and GC next week. None are gimme games but a 4-0 start is achievable and would set us up for a real crack at finals footy.

Reply #126
Just for reference, we are =5th favourite for the flag with Geelong after their efforts last night.

Dees
Lions
Swans
Dogs
=Blues
=Cats

Hawks despite winning their first 2 are behind the bombers who are now 0-3 and dead last on the ladder in terms of odds for a flag.

We SHOULD demolish them. Lets hope we do.

Reply #127
Jack Martin is our sub.