Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 3293 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Looks like 4-6 weeks for Weits

Reply #16
Ive kept my powder dry on him to date but Carroll needs to sharpen up (ie quicken) his decision making, he is as slow as an old mole at the minute (by mind and by foot). And I'm yet to see the raking left peg he supposedly has. I get it, he's young and that was the biggest crowd he would have played in front of, but he has to develop the awareness very quickly or he will fall behind.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Looks like 4-6 weeks for Weits
Apparently he said to Ling he thought it wasn't that bad.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #18
Ive kept my powder dry on him to date but Carroll needs to sharpen up (ie quicken) his decision making, he is as slow as an old mole at the minute (by mind and by foot). And I'm yet to see the raking left peg he supposedly has. I get it, he's young and that was the biggest crowd he would have played in front of, but he has to develop the awareness very quickly or he will fall behind.

Not up to it at the moment.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #19
Not up to it at the moment.
Dunno if the occasion got to him today but he looked lost.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #20
Got well beat on the wings imo and it wasn't just Carroll,  didn't think Newnes, Cottrell or O'Brien looked sharp enough compared to their opponents ie Sidebottom, J Daicos or Lipinski and Carroll needs more games with finals type pressure like this game was..
Paddy Dow also looked like he was struggling with the intensity...

Reply #21
3rd to 5th in the blink of an eye.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
Had a few weeks up. Now he performances are heading downwards. Back to the VFL for him for a while. He'll be back.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
Got well beat on the wings imo and it wasn't just Carroll,  didn't think Newnes, Cottrell or O'Brien looked sharp enough compared to their opponents ie Sidebottom, J Daicos or Lipinski and Carroll needs more games with finals type pressure like this game was..
Dow had 22 possessions, which isn't bad, but it wasn't the 30+ we've been getting from Kennedy. He will probably retain his spot.
O'Brien still needs work, but he's getting there. 21 possessions wasn't bad, but wasn't match winning.
Our 'bottom' cohort didn't have big days, especially our small forwards. But they do better when we move the ball better. They'll be better when H is back and firing. Also, Ed Curnow will be back soon: he offers something a little different.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
As a Liverpool supporter, today was the tale of two games.

I was much happier with the way Liverpool played because the goal was against the grain and it took a massive goalkeeping performance to win the game for the opposition, and it was disappointing because you can't win games without scoring.

Carlton never really looked like winning that match.  It was as bad a 4 quarter performance as I've seen with lots of getting caught playing on, kicking into the man on the mark which is basically unforgivable given the stand rule, and a bit of just never really getting going, yet somehow we almost willed our way to 4 points.  Jacks kick was 1 metre left at the end and we win despite how badly we missed the ball at times and fluffed about with it in the corridor.

For the first time all year it looked like the players lost belief after weitering broke down.  Collingwood did their homework.  They saw what hawthorn did and started with that rather than vice versa, and the absence of weitering made that compound.

Dow.  Plucky performance and pleased with his application but playing him means cripps has to play less midfield minutes and we ultimately lose out for it.  Kennedy is much more versatile and frankly a better player at this stage.  Was pleased to see dow putting on size and he showed what he can be capable but its not enough.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
JC will be fine - he's very young and needs reinforcement. Looks fantastic at VFL level - his body will get bigger and will gain more confidence and more tuition will be fine. To me, he is the type of player that refuses to give the ball away when ball is in hand. Game today probably didnt help and in no way is he ready to be a key cog in midfield.. but a game here and game there to understand what he needs to work on is good for him he is in development mode and will be for next 3-4 years.

Reply #26

Carroll and Motlop look like they’re going to have a great future, but need a refresh in the twos, whilst Paddy just needs some more time to get the tempo of AFL, which is difficult first up.

OBrien, Newnes, Plowman & Owies were far too reactive today (Owies much better in the last quarter), often waiting for the ball to come to them rather than meeting the ball by attacking it - their collective reactivity cost us a couple of goals.  I’d be trying Tom Williamson on the wing after the bye and I’m hoping that Josh Honey starts finding some form soon.

McKay, Weitering, Pittonet & McGovern out is certainly going to make life difficult for the next 6-8 weeks so we need a credible plan to play our way. I’d be trying Dekoning at CHB, Marchbank in place of Plowman, and perhaps deploying Mirkov in the ruck with Silvagni and I’d also consider Cripps at CHF once Kennedy is back. Its certainly not plan A but we need a workable structure until we can get some soldiers back.

Reply #27
DJC Reply #86 – May 28, 2022, 11:53:54 pm
Just remember its not just sport its entertainment.

If the afl want a tight competition they'll engineer an outcome they want.

Only if we're all wearing our tinfoil hats  :)

I think that the AFL might need some help with their engineering; the results aren't going to plan ...

Well.  Look at that.  At the end of the round, all of a sudden you have 5 teams vying for top 4, and spots 5 to 10 all with about 2 games separation.

Despite what the free kick count says, we get some inexplicable decisions paid against at key moments and sure enough this won't decide the outcome but it helps.  A block in a ruck contest against De koning early in the last quarter giving the pies an easy clearance and they score another goal. 

Have a look at how readily we get play on calls against and a few extra holding the ball decisions that just didn't get paid.  At least 2 advantage decisions that just weren't to advantage to go with it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
I was a little disappointed with Motlop and his apparent lapses in concentration.  More work on that 

Reply #29
I just heard Voss's press conference.

Commented on weitering.  Suspected its more major than minor.  Expecting 5 to 6 weeks with a decision on an operation coming this week.

We should be looking at the conservative option for our rolls Royce defender, and doing whats best for him, and having him out for longer means we find out about the rest and im ok with that. B

Paul Hewson