Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 3292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
I was a little disappointed with Motlop and his apparent lapses in concentration.  More work on that
Just a kid, but make no mistake he is being carried by the others at the moment, I'd be bringing Honey or moving things around with Philp in to let Fisher spend more time inside F50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Kennedy out had a massive impact today, despite the way the game rolled we may well have won if he was in and fit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Just a kid, but make no mistake he is being carried by the others at the moment, I'd be bringing Honey or moving things around with Philp in to let Fisher spend more time inside F50.
Agree....needs some more VFL time, very promising young player and has had some nice cameo moments but needs some more experience in a few other positions just to learn more about the game and as a few of us discussed needs some more conditioning.

Reply #33
Agree....needs some more VFL time, very promising young player and has had some nice cameo moments but needs some more experience in a few other positions just to learn more about the game and as a few of us discussed needs some more conditioning.
Yes, don't get me wrong I like him as a future player but at the moment he is pretty one dimensional, when he's got the footy in time and space he's OK, but being jostled about by the Filth today set him back on his heels and highlighted his shortcomings when we do not have the footy.

Martin will be back next game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Kennedy out had a massive impact today, despite the way the game rolled we may well have won if he was in and fit.
We agree again, Kennedy gives us some balance and its a funny thing when you have a deep midfield that if you lose just even one component it has a flow on effect to your other mids and their performance often isnt as good.
Thought we won enough ball but didnt have great connection down forward, bombed the ball to Charlie and our skills were down.
Collingwood are a decent pressure team, who intercept and tackle well so losing that one component like Kennedy had us just a bit off in the middle as well as not allowing Cripps to spend as much time forward and be a threat to take some pressure of Charlie.
Throw losing Weitering into the mix and we were off balance structure wise and forced to play a bit differently.
Kennedy back in the team is super important because he makes the system run better..

Reply #35
One thing that puzzled me today was why did Weiters try to bump at all, it was a bit of a funny angle to try a bump on from, coming in from that slight angle he could have easily used the fend off and it would have had the same effect by throwing De Goey off balance?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I don't get why Cripps isn't being paid many frees for being held, it's like the umpires decide that if he initiates contact then it's his fault, but that is not the rule yet that is the way it seems to be adjudicated!

What is worse, it often costs us a midfield clearance, the opponents often just grab his arm and sling him off the ball or to the ground and it's play on.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
One thing that puzzled me today was why did Weiters try to bump at all, it was a bit of a funny angle to try a bump on from, coming in from that slight angle he could have easily used the fend off and it would have had the same effect by throwing De Goey off balance?
What was he doing that far up the ground, that'll learn him ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
We need to get rid of the spids- Obrien, Dow, Newnes, Carroll, Motlop, Plowman, Newman.  None are up to AFL flag level.

Reply #39
This is probably a good loss if that ever exists. Our intensity didn’t match theirs. Our cover on the defensive side of a turn over didn’t match theirs. We exposed a few weak areas to improve on. Forget the injuries. Forget the cattle on the field. Forget the effort to bring the game to an almost win. We lost. Not a bad thing if you learn from the mistakes. We turned the ball over so many times trying to be to cute. Lack of concentration. Big crowd pressure. Something we don’t experience to often. Almost a finals pressure situation. We need to learn to stick to a winning strategy with the stock we have available. We need to do more one percenters. The little acts that count. We miss Kennedy more than any other player on the ground. He is an accountable player that executes all over the ground. Tough, hard and ability that he lacks respect for. I hope he is available next game. I am sad we will loose Weitering for a while. He is another loss. The general in defence. Like he controls the back 50m for us. I hope this gets us more block buster games at the G. We need more big crowd high atmosphere situations to win or fail, for the potential finals experience. In a small way I am glad we lost. Surely we will be hungrier next game. Surely we will be more aggressive and bitter for the game we lost next time we meet the Pies again. This will test Voss and what the entire coaching group stand for. Are we contenders or making up the numbers. Shallow sides would fold like a poor deal and loose 4 of their next 5 games and fall out of the top 8. Genuine sides that need a season to fall into place would find at least 4 wins in their next 5 games. Looking at our next 5 games it is up to how much ticker our players have. Not the cattle on the field. With our current injury list, Voss needs to get into the head space of what it takes to get over the line and win. We were close, but no chocolates. Similar to how we have denied other clubs the 4 points so far this season. Close wins. Close losses. The question is how do we respond with what comes next. We didn’t really give it all out there today. We tried to be cute over being brutal. We took risks at the wrong moment. We failed to play hide risk and high reward football when it counts. I can only put that down to a few things.

Not injuries and a lack of top grade players on the field. Not a poor match up of players. Not a game plan that doesn’t work. A simple lack of big stage experience for too many kids trying to play the game of experienced men. Sure they made mistakes. Sure they all failed to get the end result that supporters want. They all rarely get to play big stage football. They all lack finals experience. They are all poorly experienced at winning the close games, when you don’t get it your own way. Learn. Recover. Be ready for the next contest. Just remember to learn and remember from past efforts. Some of the efforts today were weak. Body language showed me this. Poor manning a mark and letting an opponent play on without any effort. Avoiding a tackle because they might break through the lines even if I do something. Not checking small forwards free in their forward 50m.

They didn’t win this game. We unfortunately gave a good effort, but let this slip through our hands. Hence why we had so many holding free kicks paid against us in frustration. It is a small possibility we thought this win was penciled in. Please guys. There is no sure thing but death and taxes. Still happy with the close result and the effort in the last quarter. No ruthless enough yet. Then again you can’t expect that from the kids on the field just yet. Keep developing the cattle you have Voss. I am convinced you are doing well with what you have. It will fall into place eventually.

Imagine Harry, Weitering un-injured, Kennedy, The Gov, and Pits in the ruck. Would we have won? Sure we probably would have. Would it be better for the club? Probably not to be honest. Our depth isn’t the depth that the Melbourne football club has. They loose games with a few key players out and they have high quality and rated talent. We need to develop the kids before the guns are back in the squad. This is what real rebuild is all about. This is where the hard work starts. How do you create serviceable players into genuine players?

Coming up against the Bombers might actually be a challenge. Once again a side that has nothing to loose and everything to gain. We can’t play other sides into form. We need to make their result a contest. Something we lacked today. Not completely but we did look lost at times and no idea what to do next. The pressure was put on our players. The heat was turned up to high. Can we bring the pressure on next game to totally fry the Bombers? We will see next game. Not by available cattle on the field. By a will to step up and get the job done. Before this round, I would have predicted a 40 points loss to the Scum. After this week, we need to get over the line. They are crap. Seriously crap. However even a crap side has the ball bounce their way once in a while. Do what it takes guys. Let me state, what ever it takes please.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #40

It's where we're placed.  Heaps of promise and far off from deserting the kid.  I was a strong advocate for recruiting him and nothing has changed.  A two game break will do him the world of good as it will for the group. 

But, FFS, we could do with a break on the injury side of the ledger.  And I'm totally in to tall recruits.  We don't need any more smalls

Reply #41
Motlop will probably go back to the VFL and make way for Martin (If he got through the game OK)
He'll have learnt a thing or two playing at that higher level and some things to work on will have been explained to him.
He can try out his 'new' tricks with a little less pressure. ;)
Long term he'll be fine. He has the skills...and a bit of a 'strut', so he doesn't lack confidence.

One of the things about injuries is that they throw extra pressure on those fringe players.
When a side is close to full strength those players can play to their strengths due to the support around them.
When that support is lost through injury they then have to step up and take a bit of extra responsibility, sometimes above their capabilities.
That's when they're exposed.

Where do we stand at the moment.
We probably need to win four more games to make the finals.
We should do that but, but the reality is we're probably  in the 6th to 8th range rather than a top 4 side...even at full strength.
Next year though.... ;)  ;D

Reply #42
Very disappointed to lose that but cheered by the way we fought back and nearly pinched it. We have developed a very tough professional edge already under Vossy and I now look forward with great optimism. Maybe no flag this year but I'm confident it is now very much on the horizon.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
I hate to say this but we were brave given the personnel out. Losing Weiters sucked ass, but our field kicking was as bad as their goal kicking. The pressured us into TO's in the middle of the ground and opened us up too many times.
Hate losing to them but to their credit, they didn't let us get "our" game going. I was at the opposite end of the ground to SOS in the last and my daughter and both thought it went through, I thought we won the game.
Not to be, we have a break and start again.

Was on the wing AFL members stand and from my angle  and all the other Carlton supporters it was a goal. We went up as one celebrating only for the pies supporters telling us it was a point. In true Maxwell Smart style I said missed it by that much.

And from my vantage point I could see Sidebottom on his own so many times. Cost us at least 2 or 3 goals. Angry about that as even Saad would not go to him as he was moving into out defence line.

Reply #44
I don't get why Cripps isn't being paid many frees for being held, it's like the umpires decide that if he initiates contact then it's his fault, but that is not the rule yet that is the way it seems to be adjudicated!

What is worse, it often costs us a midfield clearance, the opponents often just grab his arm and sling him off the ball or to the ground and it's play on.

Much like the free kick last week to Mills against Cripps. He ran straight at Cripps without looking at the ball and tackled him and gets a free kick for holding against Cripps. WTF. Swans went on to score a goal from that free kick.