Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 6254 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
I recall Parkin talking about how they addressed The Duke of Earl's goalkicking yips when he crossed from Melbourne and we tried to move him from CHB to CHF. The problem he had was that there'd always be a swing on the ball, but he couldn't allow for it as sometimes it went left and sometimes it went right. Taking time to think about his kicking was hurting rather than helping him. Parkin advised him just to take a set number of steps back and immediately begin his run up. It cured him pretty much overnight.

Reply #46
I recall Parkin talking about how they addressed The Duke of Earl's goalkicking yips when he crossed from Melbourne and we tried to move him from CHB to CHF. The problem he had was that there'd always be a swing on the ball, but he couldn't allow for it as sometimes it went left and sometimes it went right. Taking time to think about his kicking was hurting rather than helping him. Parkin advised him just to take a set number of steps back and immediately begin his run up. It cured him pretty much overnight.
I've thought very much the same about Cripps, who has similar issues to Earl.

A trick we had with kids was getting then to become competitive about their longest kick, because you can't kick your personal best longest kick without kicking straight. It got them focussed on kicking straight without the pressure of kicking straight, everybody just accepts some can kick further than others, so you focus on a PB.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
So if it were up to me

In Weiters Owies Stocker (sub)
Out Newnes Honey (Setterfield)
I'd go
In Weiters Owies
Out Plow Honey (leave Setterfield as the Sub)

Reply #48
We went into the Saints game with six defenders and Newnes.  Newnes wasn't effective in defence and his absence from the wing rotations affected O'Brien and Cottrell's games (Cerra was next to useless).

Weitering should come in at the expense of a surplus midfielder/forward to provide a more balanced line up.

Plowman was one of our better defenders with 10 intercept possessions and 89% disposal efficiency.  His hacked kick to Membrey in the first quarter was his only real blemish. He and his five fellow defenders all deserve to retain their places in the team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Should be out cerra, Setterfield.

In owies and weitering (kemp to the sub).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Should be out cerra, Setterfield.

In owies and weitering (kemp to the sub).

That still leaves us with only six defenders and Newnes …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
^^

Cerra was my weakest link.

Him out and anyone else in, is an immediate victory.  We actually had more issue because of what didnt happen up forward rather than what happened on the wings.  That and the fact that we turned it over ALOT. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Cerra is one of the reasons we have improved this year. No one delivers the ball inside 50 better than him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
Cerra is one of the reasons we have improved this year. No one delivers the ball inside 50 better than him.
He has to be fit enough to get more than 10 kicks, and he has to get them in the midfield in a manner that let's him open up or use opened up space, not rushed kicks out on the flanks.

Last weekend, he was clearly not right, and because of that everybody around him had a tougher time of it, selecting him half baked was a rookie MC mistake the first of it's type I've seen this season.

If he's fit the right person to bring into the midfield might be Ed, because even though he's not helping a lot on the outside he can stop someone on the inside and that can help guys like Walsh, Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy and Fisher. With Cerra limping around(metaphorically) behind the footy last weekend they were effectively a player down!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I heard he was 100% fit but was not included in the usual midfield rotations.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
Cerra had 71% game time, and had 16 disposals with 4 clangers.

He was heavily strapped up and didnt move well at all.  Whilst you cross the line you are deemed fit, the stats suggest he was anything but with 14 uncontested possessions and 0 inside 50's.

Was bad enough to be dropped if he was fit.

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Ah the Duke, never have i seen anyone kick the ground as often as him. Those ones usually went straight, albeit never more than 1m off the ground and lucky if it went 20m....but they were straight!

Reply #57
Cerra had 71% game time, and had 16 disposals with 4 clangers.

He was heavily strapped up and didnt move well at all.  Whilst you cross the line you are deemed fit, the stats suggest he was anything but with 14 uncontested possessions and 0 inside 50's.

Was bad enough to be dropped if he was fit.

Give him 1 game grace to get back into the swing of things.
If he does it again, dropped.

Reply #58
Give him 1 game grace to get back into the swing of things.
If he does it again, dropped.

Paddy Dow had a statistically better game than that against Collingwood, and we had lost Weitering in that game causing us a bit of structural damage.  Didnt stop him getting dropped after match in the seniors.

To go with Cerra's stats he racked up 1 tackle.  Paddy had 5 and he got dropped.

Ill give players graces.  Im not one to call for one bloke to be dropped at the drop of a hat, but we lost badly and we have players lining up to get in and blokes under performing.  You can drop newnes too if you want, but we cant drop too many outside players without bringing in an outside player. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
Forecast wet and very windy here on Sunday so won't be a pretty game and probably nullifies the advantages we have with Charlie and Harry up forward. Agree with other comments on here.....Ryan and Rioli are the 2 that could hurt us in those conditions. If it is wet/windy, not sure Kemp will hold his spot?

For me, Weitering and Owies in for Kemp and Honey.