Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Geelong (Read 5769 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #45
To me it looked like some of our players got stage fright. Young, Weits, Harry, Cripps.

I dont remember a game where Cripps competed in the packs head first then complain about being hit head high. He usually enters into packs side on. So yeah - few f our guys got stage fright IMO. Good learning experience.

Reply #46
To me it looked like some of our players got stage fright. Young, Weits, Harry, Cripps.

I dont remember a game where Cripps competed in the packs head first then complain about being hit head high. He usually enters into packs side on. So yeah - few f our guys got stage fright IMO. Good learning experience.

I recall three occasions last night when Cripps seemed to over-accentuate contact.
He did receive a free after one.
On another occasion it seemed like the Geelong players told him  'to wake up to himself' and gave him a push.

Against that he was scragged from pillar to post last night with little reward, so maybe he was just trying to get things noticed.

Reply #47
Not alot you could say about the game other than it was a learning experience of playing at the highest level under pressure.

Reply #50
Surprised Hayes cited for dangerous tackle. Seemed pretty innocuous. No sling motion, regulation tackle. I'd be concerned that Menegola is one of those blokes sensitive to head knocks. We see plenty of those tackles and blokes just jump straight up. I'd be consulting a neurosurgeon.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
Hayes finding out the hard way that if you wear navy,  the MRO will crawl through broken glass to ping you.

Meanwhile Cameron gets a fine and Nankeris gets off.... What a surprise!!!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #52
I thought Hayes was in trouble when it happened, he didn't control the bigger Menegola when he slung him and his head hit the ground. Charlie Dixon had a Melbourne player in a position to slam tackle him but remembered his duty of care and lowered him rather than slammed him. Hayes actions were not malicious but the Geelong player was concussed badly enough not to return and you got to expect to get cited when that happens imho.

Reply #53
Agree EB1.

Worst decision on the night was the 50 against Sam docherty though.

How you can ping a bloke for not giving it back whens he caught holding the ball and has it ripped out of his hands by his opponent is just ridiculous.

It wasn't exactly holding the ball either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
I thought Hayes was in trouble when it happened, he didn't control the bigger Menegola when he slung him and his head hit the ground. Charlie Dixon had a Melbourne player in a position to slam tackle him but remembered his duty of care and lowered him rather than slammed him. Hayes actions were not malicious but the Geelong player was concussed badly enough not to return and you got to expect to get cited when that happens imho.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
I don’t remember one occasion when our midfield got a clean takeaway from a centre bounce last night so our forwards had no chance to contest without being out numbered. Our midfield was no where near as effective as usual, Cripps was way down, Harry had a dirty day, Weitering looked like he needed another run and our kicking into our 50 was as horrible as I’ve seen it all year  and yet the top team only beat us by 5 goals. Last year this would have been a 60 point loss.

Yes they won comfortably but we had an off night and now the dust has settled I still have a quiet confidence that if we play or are allowed to play close to our best we will be a good chance to go past week one come finals. And yes I know we need to get there first.

Get McGovern in for Plowman and Pit in to give TDK a chance to rest forward and Owies for Motlop and we will give a much better account of ourself.

Reply #56

Worst decision on the night was the 50 against Sam Docherty though.

How you can ping a bloke for not giving it back whens he caught holding the ball and has it ripped out of his hands by his opponent is just ridiculous.

Agreed with emphasis - Doc had no opportunity to throw the ball to the free kick recipient because the other Geelong player was interfering with him and the ball and the umpire was behind Doc and unable to see it.  If Doc had allowed his opponent to take the ball from him, he might still have been penalised for not returning the ball to the correct opponent.

Reply #57
Cripps was well held, and I mean that literally.

Possibly the least effective game Crippa has played this year. The Blicavs match up was a critical move because he is bigger, faster and a much better runner than Crippa and probably just as strong.

I wonder if was just the match up or whether he is carrying a niggle, was a bit unwell, or struggled to get up from the shorter break. Thinking back to the way he was dominating in the early rounds, another possibility is that the absence of Pitto has been the major factor.

Reply #58
The pace of the game and the continued intensity of pressure caught out quite a few of the players - Newman being one of the worst offenders with his turnovers but I was buoyed by the way we fought out the game - especially without winning centre clearances and a number of easy goals that we (or the umpires) gifted to the pussies.

Reply #59
The pace of the game and the continued intensity of pressure caught out quite a few of the players - Newman being one of the worst offenders with his turnovers but I was buoyed by the way we fought out the game - especially without winning centre clearances and a number of easy goals that we (or the umpires) gifted to the pussies.