Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4995 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
When he’s not rucking, Jack plays as third tall forward and pinch hits as key forward when Harry or Charlie have a spell.

He has taken more marks on the lead inside 50 than any of our other forwards and is also very effective when leading up the ground and kicking inside 50.

It’s nonsense to suggest that he’s competing with our midfielders for a spot in the 22.  His only competition for third tall is McGovern, or the rucks if we go with two rucks. Of course, Jack played as 3rd tall forward when we had both Pitto and De Koning at the start of the season.

While I’m disappointed that Jack is out of the 22, I understand the thinking behind it.  Jack should benefit from a light workload this weekend and will be back, probably against Brisbane.

Isn’t it great they we have genuine competition for places in the 22 and the omission of players leads to much debate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carter-takes-aim-at-cochrane-as-tassie-tensions-rise-ceglar-s-chance-to-put-his-hand-up-20220729-p5b5lm.html

‘Obvious disappointment’: Voss on Silvagni axing

Carlton coach Michael Voss is hoping Jack Silvagni’s surprise axing will push the versatile Blue to become better.
The 24-year-old was a shock omission for Carlton’s trip to face the Crows at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

Silvagni has produced arguably the most consistent campaign of his seven-season career, playing a valuable role up forward and as a back-up ruckman. But with experienced ruckman Marc Pittonet having recovered from a long-term knee injury, Silvagni is the unlucky player to make way.
“It’s pretty clear that we’ve decided to play the two rucks, and that means one of them [Tom De Koning or Pittonet] is going to have to spend more time forward,” Voss told reporters on Friday.
“There was obvious disappointment [from Silvagni]. Whenever you talk to a player saying they’re not in the team, there’s obvious disappointment. But he appreciates that we’re in a healthy position and hopefully in our experience, it pushes people to be better again.”

Reply #92
If Motlop and Durdin were a couple of years older and Owies was a bit more tougher I could see why Jack's spot could be in trouble but we are not at that point.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #93
There you go. Dropped for form.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #94
Debate goes on I guess. Still hard to fathom when you consider neither of Durdin, Motlop or Owies (out injured) have been in great form in the last 4 weeks or so...yet the MC prefer 3 small forwards, together with Fisher. No doubt JSOS would be "disappointed" given his efforts.

If we lose to Adelaide, Silvagni's omission won't be the reason, but it'll be another talking point.

Reply #95
SOS has stunk it up for at least the last half dozen games now.
Yes - he gives his all, yes - he’s being asked to play out of position, yes - he’s CFC royalty, but seriously, we’ve all been bleating for the last 20 years that certain players seemed to be untouchable (think no. 1 draft picks) and that this culture of complacency was ruining the club. Now, FINALLY, Voss is putting it out there - near enough is not good enough. I’m loving it.

LP’s posts on the subject are spot on. It’s all about the team. Let the teenage girls have their Twitter meltdowns. I’m here for the premierships.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #96
Simple question is this...
If Jack comes in, who would make way for him.

Follow up question, how does that effect our midfield rotations as a result?

90% of people will take a small forward out.
That would basically force Fisher to spend more time forward and limit his midfield time, which he relished last week.
Having 2 key forwards, 2 rucks and Jack means one of them has to be on the bench at all times, which means less midfield rotations, which means a less than optimal midfield performance.
Prove otherwise.

Reply #97
SOS has stunk it up for at least the last half dozen games now.
Yes - he gives his all, yes - he’s being asked to play out of position, yes - he’s CFC royalty, but seriously, we’ve all been bleating for the last 20 years that certain players seemed to be untouchable (think no. 1 draft picks) and that this culture of complacency was ruining the club. Now, FINALLY, Voss is putting it out there - near enough is not good enough. I’m loving it.

LP’s posts on the subject are spot on. It’s all about the team. Let the teenage girls have their Twitter meltdowns. I’m here for the premierships.

Really?

At 194cm and 91kg, Jack has competed strongly against much larger ruckmen; he conceded 12cm and 21kg to Preuss.  Despite that, over the last half a dozen games he has won 25 hitouts, kicked 4 goals (same as Durdin), had 35 score involvements, 27 inside 50s, 20 tackles (6 inside 50), 14 clearances, 10 intercepts, 12 1%ers and gained 1750 metres.  I don't think any of our forwards can match him over all of those facets of the game.

I get why he has been omitted but he has consistently been among our better players all season, including the last half dozen games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #98
Since when was Jack considered a ruckman who plays forward?...bit like saying Shaun Grigg was a ruckman when he finished his career or Marlion Pickett is now a certified ruckman because Richmond tried to reinvent him as Grigg Mk2.
Its a bit like a nurse removing a wart on someones head and now being expected to perform the duties of neuro surgeon fulltime.
I dont get why this game either, we are not playing Melbourne with  Gawn and Jackson, its the Crows and the two Rileys who are not exactly the cream of the ruck crop....
Voss pulled some wrong levers at Brisbane trying to be clever and when its not broke you dont need to fix it imho and I dont see anything broken or not working with Jack Silvagni.

Reply #99
EB....looking at final teams, appears that Tilthorpe is out injured.

Reply #100
And Doedee out injured as well.

Play this well and get some midfield domination and our forwards should have a night out.

Reply #101
Voss's last game if we lose. >:(

Seriously though, Jack has looked tired and frustrated in recent weeks.
The rest will do him good...freshen him up.
He is one of our most versatile players and as such even if there is not a place for him in the starting on field line up he fits better than any on the bench.
He's also a good choice for medical sub and it still wouldn't surprise to see him in that role on the weekend.

Reply #102
It was the right week to try it seeing as we're only playing Adelaide, I think we will all be screaming for Jack to be back in the side after we face the Lions and the Dees.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
Considering our percentage, we really need to go there and whack the Crows.

Reply #104
Considering our percentage, we really need to go there and whack the Crows.
% is largely irrelevent unless we somehow manage to beat the dees and/or lions. Then it may mean something.