Skip to main content
Topic: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub (Read 27294 times) previous topic - next topic

Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub

Is Jack Silvagni the ultimate medical sub?  It is hard to think of a position on the ground that he couldn't cover (or assist in a suitable reshuffle) if we lose a soldier mid game. Back, forward, ruck, on ball.  Think of the alternatives: Honey, Dow, Setterfield, Martin, Motlop etc.  No real flexibility in the heat of a hard fought finals campaign. He might just end up being the ace in the pack!!

Re: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub

Reply #1
He needs to be in the 22.

Your best medical sub is a utility who is not in our best 22 like Setterfield, Stocker or Kemp.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Yeah probably the ultimate sub given the roles he can play....still rather him in the 22 though but we move on.

If Hewett had been ready to come back in this week, who would've gone out?

Reply #3
Yeah probably the ultimate sub given the roles he can play....still rather him in the 22 though but we move on.

Setterfield
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
Is Jack Silvagni the ultimate medical sub?  It is hard to think of a position on the ground that he couldn't cover (or assist in a suitable reshuffle) if we lose a soldier mid game. Back, forward, ruck, on ball.  Think of the alternatives: Honey, Dow, Setterfield, Martin, Motlop etc.  No real flexibility in the heat of a hard fought finals campaign. He might just end up being the ace in the pack!!
Martins probably not a bad sub idea imho, rarely plays 4 quarters, some might argue he rarely plays at all but there is no doubting his talent and imho he could be that Stuey Dew type player who kicks 3 goals in a quarter and wins you a final as that X factor type player. The other player if fit who I would consider is Ed Curnow.....yep he is older now but still was playing good consistent footy before injury and you know he will give you effort and might be able to take out that opposition mid who is tearing us a new one and bring you back in the game if we were struggling..

Reply #5

Motlop

We've been using Walsh, Kennedy and Fisher more forward when all the mids are all in the side together, we'd need space forward of centre.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I said Jack should be the sub to this game coming up as he gives us cover in every area.

It might even help his game a bit as players will be slightly more fatigued and slower by the time he comes on which will help given he is lacking in that area.

I don't mind the idea of Martin being a sub as well. Someone who provides a spark and turn a game is handy.

Reply #7
Think you can lock this thread now. Like I said Jack is better than Durdin and Owies combined.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
This was a rested dressed up in omitted.

His impact was pronounced when he came on.  Had it a lot quickly provided that link between midfield and forward and got on the end of one himself.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
This was a rested dressed up in omitted.

His impact was pronounced when he came on.  Had it a lot quickly provided that link between midfield and forward and got on the end of one himself.
In balance, you can't talk about the SoJ positives and ignore the negatives, late in the game SoJ's direct opponent was twice involved pressing forward in chains of play that resulted in the Crow's goaling.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
In balance, you can't talk about the SoJ positives and ignore the negatives, late in the game SoJ's direct opponent was twice involved pressing forward in chains of play that resulted in the Crow's goaling.
I'll take JSOS's attitude pride in the jumper and cop a few errors every now and then, he would have been more useful rucking than Pittonet as Jack could have given us another midfielder.
I found it a strange game to drop him given Adelaide run one genuine ruckman only and part time forwards like Himmelberg and Thilthorpe as the 2nd rucks, conditions suited Jack being a slow track where contests were the name of the game and you know Jack will give that everytime.
This was Voss from Brisbane coaching Imo.....looked paralysed in the box when Adelaide were all over us, couldnt fathom what to do about the Keays/Saad tagging debacle and needs to get more inventive to change the course of the game IMO when we are struggling. Granted he lost some troops but I'm not sure how he thought having extra talls in the team was going to work and the triple threat of Charlie, TDK and Harry down forward wasnt what you want on a slow weather affected ground.

Reply #11
I'll take JSOS's attitude pride in the jumper and cop a few errors every now and then, he would have been more useful rucking than Pittonet as Jack could have given us another midfielder.
I found it a strange game to drop him given Adelaide run one genuine ruckman only and part time forwards like Himmelberg and Thilthorpe as the 2nd rucks, conditions suited Jack being a slow track where contests were the name of the game and you know Jack will give that everytime.
This was Voss from Brisbane coaching Imo.....looked paralysed in the box when Adelaide were all over us, couldnt fathom what to do about the Keays/Saad tagging debacle and needs to get more inventive to change the course of the game IMO when we are struggling. Granted he lost some troops but I'm not sure how he thought having extra talls in the team was going to work and the triple threat of Charlie, TDK and Harry down forward wasnt what you want on a slow weather affected ground.

Limited troops and limited options. A hangover of having too many talls.

Jack can play anywhere, but he can't play on many....thats the problem.

For team balance, i'd drop TDK and play Pittonet and Jack this week.....and if that doesn't work, try TDK and Jack again the next week.

Reply #12

For team balance, i'd drop TDK and play Pittonet and Jack this week.....and if that doesn't work, try TDK and Jack again the next week.
I think they'll continue to play Pitto because they have to play him, he needs games under his belt.

Marchbank might come in this week, and will add to our mobility, we can't be left with SoJ trying to stand Himmelberg type players it will destroy our setup and wreck his career.

Pitto looked underdone, TDK looked sore, and I agree the weather didn't help but you can't travel with 42.

The loss of Durdin is going to hurt, we are back in the same place we were with Owies missing for a few weeks. If Hewett comes in we might be able to get Fisher spending more time forward, and that could help.

This might sound odd, but I'd consider bringing Dow in to replace Motlop, if the MC accept that Motlop has to be carried then it may as well carry Dow who at least brings a stronger physical presence and can function as a genuine midfield option. I realise Dow won't be a step up in defensive run, but with Hewett questionable, Kennedy concussed and Fisher needed elsewhere to me it's either now or never for Dow.

I think we need someone with a bit more pace as sub, SoJ isn't a bad choice if the cards fall the right way, but last night they didn't and it made things worse on the ground. Maybe Kemp is the right sub choice, despite my reservations about him as a defender he is more effective in D50 than SoJ, and can still play forward or even a wing or mid rotation, and Kemp's got most of our medium / talls covered for pace.

Did we miss a trick last night not givinng SoJ a mid rotation as a chop out for Cripps, could Cripps have rested forward and let SoJ have a run in combination with Pitto and TDK?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

Dont mind the ruck combo mix and match idea, do we have the issue now where TDK and Pittonet may both play their best footy as first ruckman? and while TDK has the skills to play forward can you play three real tall forwards every week and have Jack in the team too.

Reply #14

You were wrong, move on.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!