Skip to main content
Topic: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub (Read 27428 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jack Silvagni - The Ultimate Medical Sub

Reply #15
Dont mind the ruck combo mix and match idea, do we have the issue now where TDK and Pittonet may both play their best footy as first ruckman? and while TDK has the skills to play forward can you play three real tall forwards every week and have Jack in the team too.
Yes. Neither Pitto or TDK are proficient enough to play anywhere else other than first ruck. Carrying both is hurting our running game.

If Jack was a little quicker/more agile, we may be more likely to cover for him with the other 2.

Reply #16
Yes. Neither Pitto or TDK are proficient enough to play anywhere else other than first ruck. Carrying both is hurting our running game.

If Jack was a little quicker/more agile, we may be more likely to cover for him with the other 2.

I wonder if TDK might be worth trying in defense...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19

I think it's just one tall too many in the conditions, it sort of worked earlier in the season when BigH was on a roll, roving stoppages like an onballer, yet we still had some very close escapes that SoJ boosters are happier to ignore us falling across the line after being almost overrun.

But that was also in suitable conditions, a dry fast MCG. Last game was greasy conditions not suited to carrying so many talls, and the Crows were able to dictate control over the whole playing surface, our MC need to be smarter and not formulaic, leave the formulaic emotive rubbish to the fans.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I think it's just one tall too many in the conditions, it sort of worked earlier in the season when BigH was on a roll, roving stoppages like an onballer, yet we still had some very close escapes that SoJ boosters are happier to ignore us falling across the line after being almost overrun.

But that was also in suitable conditions, a dry fast MCG. Last game was greasy conditions not suited to carrying so many talls, and the Crows were able to dictate control over the whole playing surface, our MC need to be smarter and not formulaic, leave the formulaic emotive rubbish to the fans.
I would have rested TDK not JSOS...the latter goes well on a slow track and gives you another midfielder.
The extra ruck in the conditions was a mistake..

Reply #21
Unfit Pittonet and persisting with an under delivering TdK wasn't a good start.   Chuck in serial offenders in Setterfield and Plowman, cull heart and soul JSoS and lose a worker early in Durdin.  Not a good formula. Cerra is another who has done F all since coming back and needs a rocket.

Just watch us bring back chronic underachiever Martin next week.   Anybody else familiar with how this is going to play out?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Cerra isn't a match changer winner, more a  good link delivery link player. He hasn't been damaging since he came back and it's thrown more pressure on Cripps and Walsh too.
Some bottom teams you need more grunt than class to knock them over.
We missed Hewett, lost Kennedy and needed Stocker in the team to give us more grunt and options.
Peter Ryan in The Age gave his opinion on how dropping Jack was a mistake and imo the  supporters got this one right and the selectors and coaching staff ballsed it up before and during the game.
Nicks is smarter than he looks given what has to work with...

Reply #23
Hindsight is a bloody ripper. I don't know anyone who fails hindsight.

JSOS is a different beast to just about anyone else on the list... he brings huge sentimentality, along with a great attitude and footy IQ. If his name had been Ignatius Mangohead, there might not have been quite the backlack. But his name is Jack Silvagni.

Bringing back Pitto was a little disruptive, though totally understandable and for the best. It disrupted the forward line with a 3rd tall and put JSOS into a medi vest.

I still think experimenting with TDK in defense would be worth a try. Pitto and JSO changing in the ruck. BrisVegas have some dangerous tall forwards, and Weiters seems to be struggling for form and Gov is still learning. Maybe Young has a spell. We've gotta give BrisVegas something to think about. Get a little more creative at the MC.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
I think it just needs time. Pittonet, DeKoning and Silvagni played together in the first few rounds, and it seemed to work quite well then. Maybe with injuries and the like they will take a while to get in sync. Or maybe the team just had a bad night.

Reply #25
Yep.  We have a few under done returning from injury who arent in form.  We have a few off the boil to go with it.

We have not had a settled team all season.  When we get going we can challenge everyone but on the weekend the synergy was missing and it showed.  We turned it over a lot.  So its not like we were beaten by a side because we couldnt get our hands on the footy. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
We were too confident. We thought we were going to walk through them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
Not gonna get any easier for the backline this week with Daniher, Hipwood, McStay, Cameron......maybe Saad gets the job on Cameron?

Reply #28
Not gonna get any easier for the backline this week with Daniher, Hipwood, McStay, Cameron......maybe Saad gets the job on Cameron?
Need a player for McCarthy too, very good mark for his size.
The other player to watch is Zac Bailey, it's one of those games where I don't see either team being able stop the other  teams forward line if they get enough supply. Cripps will probably get Berry for company, I'm confident we can win this game if we select the right team and do our homework on matchups.
I'm sure Fagan will tag Saad so this is a test for Voss and his ability to devise alternative ways to free up Saad.
Stocker would be an automatic selection for me this week...

Reply #29
Need a player for McCarthy too, very good mark for his size.
The other player to watch is Zac Bailey, it's one of those games where I don't see either team being able stop the other  teams forward line if they get enough supply. Cripps will probably get Berry for company, I'm confident we can win this game if we select the right team and do our homework on matchups.
I'm sure Fagan will tag Saad so this is a test for Voss and his ability to devise alternative ways to free up Saad.
Stocker would be an automatic selection for me this week...

Zac Bailey went to hospital coughing up blood, I suspect he would miss. The others will prove enough of a handful although Joe was terrible after qtr time this v Rich. I reckon teams will look at what Keys did to us and will try and replicate that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time