Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6264 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Sunday August 7th
3.20 PM
Gabba.

I think only the most swivel eyed Carlton tragics can see us winning this one.

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #2
Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat  :))

I hope so, but I can't see it myself. Doubts on Hewett, Kennedy, Newman, Durdin are not a good start. Plus we'll be traveling 2 weeks in a row (Brisbane also traveled, but are back home). Plus their record at the Gabba, unlike the G, is very good. I really can't see a win.

As an aside, It seems to me that the form of Cripps, and to a lesser extent Curnow and McKay, is strongly linked to the team's performance. In the early part of the season when Cripps was on track for 100 Brownlow votes, McKay and Curnow were kicking truly and were on the end on some genuinely scintillating ball movement. Since then, things have dropped off. I know the injuries are a genuine reason. I'm not sure of the causality - I don't know if the form of these three affects the team, or if the team affects their form.

I'm also still of the opinion that Voss' game style is quite taxing, like Fremantle. Whilst it's certainly possible that the players just thought they could rock up, they looked pretty stuffed IMO.

Reply #3
Assuming both Kennedy and Hewett are out, Dow probably gets a shot at it this week?

And if Newman and Durdin both miss, I'd go with Silvagni and Stocker back into the starting 22.

I doubt they'll abandon the two ruckman policy after just one game back for Pittonet.

Reply #4
I don't expect a win but I hope we have enough pride to make a game of it.

However, if we attempt the same half-hearted tackles against the larger bodied Brisbane side as we did against Adelaide then we are in for a belting.

Reply #5
We will get smashed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Not sure i'll be tipping us but we are a decent chance of winning as we tend to bounce back pretty hard after a loss these days. Haven't lost 2 in a row all year. Brisbane aren't that good. Won't base our chances on one game given we sit 12-7 and just a game behind Brisbane.

I'd be telling the players that you put your spot in the 8 in this position so you get us out of it.

Reply #7
Hawthorn, Fremantle, Essendon and Richmond have beat them this year.

They're not unbeatable at the moment.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Dow is likely to get a game this week and if he does, he will be playing with the freedom of not having a heavy tag, like he has had over the past number of weeks in the 2s. Could see him turn in a good one with the shackles released. (Here's hoping). Or  do we give Setterfied the chance to replace Kennedy in the mid field and play him in his natural environment??

Reply #9
Injuries have been deep and been unsettling as thrown players out of form - match fitness - synergy building and the like.

But I still think our A game is quite elite I have serious concerns from some ground players that have been flakey for years and conditional players. But the flip side is we have some serious weapons on every line and need to start getting our A game in motion starting this week.

Reply #10
Internally would expect Voss to treat this week as a elimination final.  We were embarrassed on the field and in the coaches box and while I’m not expecting a win im certain we will see a response and the game will be a lot closer then many expect imo.

We have a list strong enough to beat them provided we all buy in and want it enough. Expecting big games from our senior core in Weitering Doc Cripps Walsh Harry Charlie etc.

Blues by 12 in an upset.

Reply #11
Dow is likely to get a game this week and if he does, he will be playing with the freedom of not having a heavy tag, like he has had over the past number of weeks in the 2s. Could see him turn in a good one with the shackles released. (Here's hoping). Or  do we give Setterfied the chance to replace Kennedy in the mid field and play him in his natural environment??

Im not sure what the MC sees in Setterfield.  As a winger he has height as an advantage, but he is generally a bit of a one paced player, who doesnt exactly get leather poisoning to make up for a lack of any endearing attributes.

I suspect that Voss values height or the ability to play tall, which might be why Dow is struggling a little.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Im not sure what the MC sees in Setterfield.  As a winger he has height as an advantage, but he is generally a bit of a one paced player, who doesnt exactly get leather poisoning to make up for a lack of any endearing attributes.

I suspect that Voss values height or the ability to play tall, which might be why Dow is struggling a little.

Setterfield has been a disappointment imho, not a contested mid who was going to help Cripps as was the original idea and played his better footy on the wing as a poor man's Kamdyn McIntosh.
Wouldn't be in my best 22 and it's hard to find a real weapon in his play that sets him apart other than his height and even then his high marking is hardly a feature of his play. Be on my trade/delist list at seasons end..

Reply #13
Come the 'wet @rse' time, and based on current indicators, who would I not want to find myself in the trenches with... Setterfield, Weitering and Plowman.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
We had gone win/loss since half way through the season. A repeat get us 4 or 5th. One win gets us 7th or 8th. Don't want to think about zero wins.