Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6161 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
IMO, Will the Whipping boy deserves the BOD, and should be awarded another contract, even if it's 12 months. IMO, he's been the victim of bad timing and / or mismanagement more than anything else. He's played just a tick over 50 games with very little continuity over several seasons. I suspect there's untapped potential there, and his best is still ahead of him.

Reply #106
IMO, Will the Whipping boy deserves the BOD, and should be awarded another contract, even if it's 12 months. IMO, he's been the victim of bad timing and / or mismanagement more than anything else. He's played just a tick over 50 games with very little continuity over several seasons. I suspect there's untapped potential there, and his best is still ahead of him.

With Ed Curnow's decline, we have a clear need for a player who can do an inside run-with role a la Jack Steele, Tom Atkins, Jarryd Berry, it's even how the Brayshaw boys started out.

Setterfield is clearly the man for this - he has been played out of position on a wing for too long.  If another club gets hold of him, I am sure we will be wringing our hands when they put him in the right role.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #107
Ultimately, are SoJ and Setterfield basically competing for the same spot?

To me, having watched the influence SoJ can have on the ball, excluding ruck duties mostly I'm concerned with 2nd efforts, inside stoppage work and chaining, and comparing that to what Setterfield offers, I can't really see a significant difference. Perhaps Setterfield has an edge at the D50 end, and SoJ an edge at the F50 end.

How many players "of a type" can a team have?

I think tagging is highly over-rated, it's just a concession that you have a player who cannot compete in some other way. I do not think it's coincidence that many of Ed's very best games came when he was set free to work both ways, the ABlett Jnr game springs to mind. As for the opposition in that tagging consideration, no matter how good an opponent, or how rare they might be in the opposition list, 1 can never compete with 2, 3 or more and consistently win!

The concept of "Stop him and you win" has been taken to a very bizarre extreme in modern AFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
The coaching box also needs looking at, as David King has suggested no extra players behind the ball in those last minutes were costly, all the other teams protecting a lead do it that way and we should have done similar.

Not sure how correct that was - SOJ was sent back for most of the last few mins.  The Melksham mark was 4on2 to our advantage.  Yeah, the numbers at that last contest were even, but that could have been because the spares were otherwise occupied.   King talks a lot and is occasionally on to something, but he does talk out of his backside at times

Reply #109
Walsh, Curnow & Weitering were poor last nite, had they played better it may have been a different result.

Hurt earlier in the year,  coming off 3 years off and hurt earlier in the year............. 

100% agree that they were down - but you prob expect that at this time of the year, from them  (Weiters hasnt been right since he came back)

Reply #110
With Ed Curnow's decline, we have a clear need for a player who can do an inside run-with role a la Jack Steele, Tom Atkins, Jarryd Berry, it's even how the Brayshaw boys started out.

Setterfield is clearly the man for this - he has been played out of position on a wing for too long.  If another club gets hold of him, I am sure we will be wringing our hands when they put him in the right role.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Reply #112
I see Jack SIlvagni more as 3rd tall forward / occasional ruckman, and Setterfield as an inside / outside mid.

Reply #113
Not sure how correct that was - SOJ was sent back for most of the last few mins.  The Melksham mark was 4on2 to our advantage.  Yeah, the numbers at that last contest were even, but that could have been because the spares were otherwise occupied.   King talks a lot and is occasionally on to something, but he does talk out of his backside at times

Owies skill error to Saad that forced Saad to rush disposal and kick long to a contest was the game. I love Owies pressure acts but his skill execution and lack of hitting the scoreboard is worrysome.

Reply #114
I see Jack SIlvagni more as 3rd tall forward / occasional ruckman, and Setterfield as an inside / outside mid.

+1. Jack is a pretty good link player between Mids and Forwards too. Setters is an inside mid trying to be moulded into something he is not. Let him train and play in his natural position. It could cost us trying to experiment with him too much

Reply #115
Two...in case one gets hurt. ;)
Two on top of Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Stocker, now Doc, and maybe even Kemp! Presuming Walsh and Cripps are automatics, although we have for some reason of insanity started Walsh on the wing at times this season!

Personally, after Doc going so well last weekend, I'd leave him in there and bring Williams into the HB line to bolster the D50 run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
+1. Jack is a pretty good link player between Mids and Forwards too. Setters is an inside mid trying to be moulded into something he is not. Let him train and play in his natural position. It could cost us trying to experiment with him too much
Having watch SoJ in the ruck, and also watched him play on ball in the VFL in earlier seasons, I doubt he can be labelled experimental.

I suspect SoJ is more of a genuine chop-out for Cripps than Setterfield.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117

More often than not, and particularly when he has to give an opinion without reviewing the video.  King will have a different take on the game by now.

Coaches can't influence contests or skill execution but we were set up to protect the lead.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #118
Not sure how correct that was - SOJ was sent back for most of the last few mins.  The Melksham mark was 4on2 to our advantage.  Yeah, the numbers at that last contest were even, but that could have been because the spares were otherwise occupied.  King talks a lot and is occasionally on to something, but he does talk out of his backside at times
Yep, I suspect  some of the commentary offered at times this season comes from guys that are often not even watching the game they analyse. They throw rocks after the fact, often in ignorance of what is happening in the video replay, sometimes aided with a little selective post-game editing!

Maybe they have become too comfortable and grown fat at the trough, leading to shortcuts and a flagging analytic performance.

Daisy is better, but the minute she shows them up they get passive aggressive and shut her down! She seems as yet not to have grown jaded by the game, unlike the exposed timbre in the voice of some!

At times some of "The Old Boys" sound as equally unenthused about the game as they would the prospect of being trapped in a bottle with a fart!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
Personally, I think the more A graders and B graders we have that can competently rotate through the midfield, the better off we'll be. As we can see right now, it doesn't take much to get thin in that part of the ground.