Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6382 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
87 tackles. Wow.

Reply #92
Alex Mirkov still 22 years old - Oscar McInerney who was also a rookie is 28 and started to get his game together 2-3 years ago,

210cm ruckman don't grow on trees just needs 2-3 big pre seasons.

TDK just turned 23 and hit alot of personal bests this year. Just need to give our current ruckmen room to grow. Pitto is an honest solid contributor and will need to be first ruck next couple of years just turned 26 and was very solid before his injuries.

Sadly, Mirkov injured again today in q1.
Assisted off unable to put weight on ?rt.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #93
Walsh, Curnow & Weitering were poor last nite, had they played better it may have been a different result.

However, this was the loss we needed to have.

None of the players were smiling and patting backs last nite, it hurt and for good reason.

This was our 'line in the sand' moment and the players now know the level of intensity you have to play at every week across a season if you want to win a premiership.

A handful of players really rose to the occassion, others were found wanting when it really mattered, it will all go towards the end of season reviews and list managment decisions.
The coaching box also needs looking at, as David King has suggested no extra players behind the ball in those last minutes were costly, all the other teams protecting a lead do it that way and we should have done similar.
Cant stand Goodwin but Voss and his coaching team didnt do much homework on Melksham and where and how he has been playing in the last month and its been as a negative player on the oppositions key backs.
Weitering and Mcgovern were the wrong opponents for him and I felt McGovern on the last line of defense detracts from his intercept abilities which we needed further up the ground. We were too tall down back with only Ben Brown playing as a tall forward and you have to wonder who scouts the opposition because we looked unbalanced with 4 tall defenders especially on a dewy night.

Reply #94
I noticed the height down back too, but we had swung Doc into the midfield, so taller defenders were probably the best defenders available.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #95
Winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose. The commentators are concentrating on the poor skill execution, the lack of game awareness and the inability to the simple things well in the last two minutes. These things were littered through our game throughout the night, and everyone other game we have played this season and in previous seasons, it is just so easy to look at the last two minutes then you don't actually have to do any real work and analysis. Melbourne came to play and were very confident. I noticed their players an coaches were laughing and smiling at the start of the third quarter. Yet despite playing a very good team, who were committed and played well, and despite our players missing targets with hands and foot, making poor decisions, dropping marks and having three of our best six players Curnow, Weitering and Walsh down on performance, we basically lost on the last kick of the night. The lesson to learn from last night is that if you turn up to play and have a red hot go all game, you always have a chance to win.  I can barrack for a team that played like Carlton did last night. If they would play like that every week they will soon learn how to win.
If we ever improved our disposal, Charlie and Harry will probably kick 100 goals each in a season. If we could consistently do the simple things well we would go close to winning the premiership. We have got a very deep squad. They have just got to start believing in themselves.

Reply #96
Stocker and Setterfield should be back up bulls in the midfield and should be given contracts,

Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Walsh are starters but if one goes down then Stocker and Setterfield should be next on the list.

I hope Vossy and team improves on prior regimes that they train and play in their most effective position for 23.

That was one massive positive.

The other positive is Cottrell taking Langdon to the cleaners, Nice game by Cotts.

I would still drop a few Newnes + Motlop for Cerra and Kennedy if they come up.

Kennedy is out for the year with a LisFranc injury.

Reply #99
Apart from the final result, that was one of the best games of footy I’ve seen in quite a while.  Both teams played as if they had much to gain and a lot to lose and neither team deserved to lose.

Vossy’s coaching was outstanding considering our depleted list and the late withdrawal of Cerra.  His decision to coach from the bench was inspired and nearly got us over the line.  The post-game solidarity was inspiring and bodes well for 2023.

Setterfield on Oliver was an inspired move and, apart from keeping the competition’s premier midfielder to a modest performance, showed what Setterfield is capable of, given an appropriate role.

Docherty into the midfield was another good move but it did weaken our defence when Newnes had to play back.

Last week’s loss would have taken a lot out the boys and getting them up to go so close to beating last year’s premiers was an admirable effort by the coaching group.

I know that some supporters were fixated on Vossy’s record with Brisbane, but that’s clearly not relevant to how Vossy is coaching now, despite what tossers like Lyon and King may say.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #100
Ok, I'll say it.

29 touches, (19 contested) 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal assist and 7 score involvements.

....and his direct opponent is getting a pat on the back?

That's BOG like numbers for Oliver, but we are all congratulating Setterfield on a job well done?

Now don't get me wrong, setters played one of his best games for the year but it's not like he tagged Oliver out of the game. He got the ball himself and put up respectable numbers, but I'm not sure we should rush to sign him up to a long term contract off the back of it.

Reply #101
Ok, I'll say it.

29 touches, (19 contested) 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal assist and 7 score involvements.

That's BOG like numbers for Oliver, but we are all congratulating Setterfield on a job well done?

Now don't get me wrong, setters played one of his best games for the year but it's not like he tagged Oliver out of the game. He got the ball himself and put up respectable numbers, but I'm not sure we should rush to sign him up to a long term contract off the back of it.

It really doesn't matter what we think.
He impressed the coach, who singled him out for mention in his press conference.
That's an indication that the role he was assigned, he performed more than adequately.

Reply #102
Ok, I'll say it.

I'm agreeing, I gave Setterfield votes but wouldn't be resigning just yet on the basis of one game.I thought he played well himself and restricted Oliver but the Melbourne player lifted when he had too along with Petracca and was still an effective player.
Thought Voss was ok up until the final minutes where he failed to put more players behind the ball and David King called it out, I also think he blundered by failing to tag Lachie Neale in the Brisbane game and he needs to read the game better..Not sure playing 4 tall defenders vs a small Melb forward setup was so smart either and he didn't seem to realise what role Melksham had been playing for the last month either.
He said lack of detail in his presser cost us the game, I agree but some of that detail is down to him imo.

Reply #103
Ok, I'll say it.

Oliver's stats don't show the job that Setterfield did, and Setterfield really seemed to have gotten into his head, and should have received more than just the one free kick for getting put on his bum at contests.

I agree regarding signing him up on the back of it, but we do require some sort of depth until the newbies can come on and one of him or Dow is out at end of year, and simply put, as much as Id rather keep Dow because I see more upside there, they are both behind Carrol in the pecking order for next season, and that means at least one of them must go.

Dow is worth more at the trade table, so he is the one out IMHO. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
After watching it again, just loved our hunger for the contest. First rate. With limited stocks in the player cupboard, the coaching group made a coupla bold moves.

Also loved Vossy walking off with his boys. Stirring stuff.

Few boys from the Magoos put themselves into selection consideration.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17