Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11304 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #75
We were atrocious in the first half, sensational in the third quarter and then tried to "hold the match" in the last instead of continuing to play all out attacking footy. This played into the Pie hands, they had every reason to go for broke that point.

Just a reminder, we didn't kick a goal in the first or last quarters, that's zero goals for a whole half of a match !!!

The ruck is a big issue IMO, I don't rate Pittonet at all whilst De Koning still has a fair way to go.

The three small forward set-up (Owies, Durdin & Motlop) just doesn't work hence the need for a mid-sized forward to provide an additional avenue to goal alongside McKay & Curnow.

Curnow needs to eradicate the brain-fade stupid decisions from his game, they are just too costly when he does them (i.e. there were two howlers in todays game against the Pies).

I did say in another thread that we would drop the final three games of the season and I was right (certainly not gloating, just pointing out the fact). However, it is imperative that this burns us hard as a club and we come out in 2023 even stronger than we were this year.

It has been an improvement, there is no doubt about it but we are our own worst enemy, screw the tempo footy palava, lets just go for broke from the first siren to the last, when we do we carve them all up.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #76
Williams and Martin were passengers IMO...dont care how many possies Williams gets he cant let his man kick goals, Martin just doesnt do enough for a player of his skill level and contract money.

Martin has to be shown the door, far too erratic in his output to be considered a reliable player for us.

I didn't mind Williams today, he took the game on and set up many forward thrusts when we were looking like falling away.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #77
Yep, found myself quite buoyed by Vossie's media conference. Wasn't shy with identifying issues and inadequacies and the 2nd half year drop off and the need to make further changes... that some will like, and others may not like. Right man at the helm. Also didn't hold back on how cheats.com.au treated Rutten.

Yes. Impressive in the circumstances.
Also interesting to hear how they'd increased loads this year and will do so again for next year. Might just be the edge we need to deliver consistently across q', games, pre-post bye. Of course it may also be a bridge too far for those with certain injury woes.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #78
We were atrocious in the first half, sensational in the third quarter and then tried to "hold the match" in the last instead of continuing to play all out attacking footy. This played into the Pie hands, they had every reason to go for broke that point.

Just a reminder, we didn't kick a goal in the first or last quarters, that's zero goals for a whole half of a match !!!

The ruck is a big issue IMO, I don't rate Pittonet at all whilst De Koning still has a fair way to go.

The three small forward set-up (Owies, Durdin & Motlop) just doesn't work hence the need for a mid-sized forward to provide an additional avenue to goal alongside McKay & Curnow.

Curnow needs to eradicate the brain-fade stupid decisions from his game, they are just too costly when he does them (i.e. there were two howlers in todays game against the Pies).

I did say in another thread that we would drop the final three games of the season and I was right (certainly not gloating, just pointing out the fact). However, it is imperative that this burns us hard as a club and we come out in 2023 even stronger than we were this year.

It has been an improvement, there is no doubt about it but we are our own worst enemy, screw the tempo footy palava, lets just go for broke from the first siren to the last, when we do we carve them all up.

Yep - I'll be interested what Vossy will have in store for us. Three forward pockets that don't do much hasn't worked 100% agree. How many times were they outsized in marking contests? Too many to count - think Kemp should be a starter as a mid forward he moves around the ground well - played midfield in his junior years. Could be a sleeper for 23

Reply #79
From where I was sitting, curnow for a coleman medalist was the reason we lost.  When we needed to get going he was nowhere.

One of his shots for goal with his crappy snap didn't even make the distance.  Add 2 more set shots that were gettable, and in the last, 5 points up, marks at half forward and kicks long to nobody.  We had about 4 mins on the clock, and all we needed was one solitary point which would have made it 2 kicks that the pies needed.

No, not good enough to kick a farken torp and play the percentages because our team is full of mental lightweights.

Collingwood took their foot off in the 3rd and the umpires gave us an armchair ride.

That was a game that could have been won, but wasn't because we are simply not good enough and don't give me the he was good he wasn't.

We don't have enough stand and deliver types when the heat is on. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
You certainly need some luck in those tight games - Elliott is a class act, but that last shot, on the run from the left pocket (for a right footer) could have easily missed, and he would have been roasted for burning both Ginnivan (about 10m to his right) and Mihochek, who was close to the goal square.

Reply #81
Just watched Jobe Watson talk about how Dons are operating in silos. Calling the club "dysfunctional"
Won't take away today's disappointment but might give some a giggle😈
Henry Ford.

Reply #82
In the cold hard light of day when the dust settles, trying going back to preseason, or 12 months ago and rate our top 25 players out of 10 and redo it now.   Docherty and Curnow were pure speculation, nothing more, Cottrell was not in anyone's top 22, O'Brien was nowhere, Young was 'break glass in emergency', Marchbank was miles away, Cripps was 'gone'......
 We have shown significant improvement, players have a red hot crack and our fans just love to go to the football these days! Cookie, Vossy, Crippa we are looking in anticipation already!!

Reply #83
In the cold hard light of day when the dust settles, trying going back to preseason, or 12 months ago and rate our top 25 players out of 10 and redo it now.   Docherty and Curnow were pure speculation, nothing more, Cottrell was not in anyone's top 22, O'Brien was nowhere, Young was 'break glass in emergency', Marchbank was miles away, Cripps was 'gone'......
 We have shown significant improvement, players have a red hot crack and our fans just love to go to the football these days! Cookie, Vossy, Crippa we are looking in anticipation already!!

Measured assessment. I couldn't agree more. I'm keen to see what my ladder prediction was before the season started. If I made one that is 🤔
Henry Ford.

Reply #84

Thats the way I feel - the team has developed over the past 12 months. Understand some people want to blow up the club but the improvement has been good now we just need continuity with our players on the ground and not continuity on hospital beds.

Reply #85

Great post and I’d go further by saying that Hewitt, Saad, Durdin, Motlop and TDK all exceeded my limited expectations this year.

We do however need to urgently address our lack of durability -  whilst Weitering was unlucky this year, we simply can’t continue to carry all of Marchbank, Williams, Martin, McGovern, Cunningham & Honey if they can’t get their bodies right. We may need to seriously consider trading out the injury prone for more durability, whilst also having a thorough look at Andrew Russell’s programme.

Reply #86
I would have preferred getting thumped today.  The way this one ended was way more heart breaking. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #87

Some improvement, yes. But the reality is that at the end of the season we still have the same problem we began with, and no obvious answer, namely, an inability to play four consistent quarters of football - and anything more than half a game seems beyond us.

It begs the question: which came first , the chicken or the egg?  Is it the lack of football skills such as tackling , general field kicking and kicking for goal etc, causing the problem, or is it a team mental fragility on display every week which causes the players to wilt at the first sign of pressure which then translates to some  or all of their football skills falling away and consequently losing close matches?

Too many of our small forwards, with the exception of Motlop because of the few matches he has played, disappear when Charlie and Big H are held, and under pressure they kick poorly, make stupid decisions, and seem to have made little or no improvement this year.  I am thinking of Fisher, Owies and Durdin.

If there is no improvement from them or their replacements then we are not going to improve our position next year.

Another problem is Pittonet.  In any top four side he would be considered a second string ruckman.  He is at best able to break even with the opposition but is not good enough to give our mids consistent first use of the ball.  He desperately needs assistance

Let's hope Voss is on top of these problems otherwise 2023 could be a repeat of this year.

Reply #88
Does anybody have a link to the Voss press conference?

The club is always mysteriously slow in following up on social media after a loss...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #89
Ruck and medium forwards are 2 big deficiencies we have on our list.
If Goldy from north or Bruest or Gunston are gettable and not on big dollars I would seriously consider them for a few years. One of the hawthorn forwards would be a big advantage in tight games - we have no winners on our list. Not one. I reckon that very point was the reason today and last week we lost.