Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #165
Those videos taken from behind the goals were horrendous the way we were set up before that last goal. While I didn't expect a complete defensive system to be developed in a week, at least put a couple back in the defensive 50 in the right spots. Being outnumbered 2 to 1 in that last situation was in excusable. Weitering was just standing there. As a leader he should have been trying to organise the defence. The leaders needed their ears to burn after the game. No lessens were learnt from the previous week.

Reply #166
We lacked the nous to be able to shut the game down and stifle the Pies for the last 5 - 10 mins. We should have turned it into a stoppage fest and not allowed their run. Hope we are learning from all of this pain
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #167
We lacked the nous to be able to shut the game down and stifle the Pies for the last 5 - 10 mins. We should have turned it into a stoppage fest and not allowed their run. Hope we are learning from all of this pain
Agree, Didn't man up when needed, they were loose everywhere and we had players flatfooted. They also had a few different combos in the middle, J Daicos ran around all day on his own and if you were thinking logically the player who wins close games for them is Elliott, it's like playing Port the one player you manned hard is Robbie Gray in those close games.

Reply #168
I think we need to focus on the fact that all our moments added together, plus all our opponents' moments added together, are what make the season. If only we beat the Hawks in R3 by more than 1 measly point, we would have enough percentage to make 8th. If only this happened, if only that didn't happen etc. The season narrative is cumulative, and unfortunately for us, the accumulation of all those moments was basically death by a thousand cuts. I still think the season is a pass.
Hawks in R3?
What about Port in R5.
We were up by 8 goals at half time and won by just 3 points!

Reply #169
to our coaches what the F...K has collingwood been doing the last 12 weeks to win game ,surely they should of plan for this scenario happening ......

Reply #170
I reckon 'scenario' will be the new buzz word in 2023.

Pretty sure we'll be doing 'end game' scenarios ;D

Reply #171
to our coaches what the F...K has collingwood been doing the last 12 weeks to win game ,surely they should of plan for this scenario happening ......
Last team to have such a dramatic resurgence up the ladder in a short space of time the team in question got done for drugs!

Lets hope the same occurs with the pies.

Reply #173
I watched the game from the third level rather than my usual seat on level 2 and I had quite a different perspective.

One thing that occurred to me was that many of Collingwood’s inside 50s were kicked from 70m out or closer.  Most of our inside 50s were kicked from 70m out or further.  Collingwood’s entries were deeper and more threatening and put our defence under pressure.  Our shallow entries provided many opportunities for Collingwood’s defenders to rebound and get past our first defensive line.

Did I mention that I watched the game with five fanatical Magpie supporters?  I was feeling quite smug until Saad lost a contest he’d probably win 9 times out of 10.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #174
I watched the game from the third level rather than my usual seat on level 2 and I had quite a different perspective.

One thing that occurred to me was that many of Collingwood’s inside 50s were kicked from 70m out or closer.  Most of our inside 50s were kicked from 70m out or further.  Collingwood’s entries were deeper and more threatening and put our defence under pressure.  Our shallow entries provided many opportunities for Collingwood’s defenders to rebound and get past our first defensive line.

Did I mention that I watched the game with five fanatical Magpie supporters?  I was feeling quite smug until Saad lost a contest he’d probably win 9 times out of 10.
Noble carved us up with his use of the footy all day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #175
If Charlie, Big H, Fisher, Owies and Durdin continue next year with the same brain fades, poor decision making and sub standard kicking for goal when under pressure, clearly shown in the last ten minutes of the game, then we are in for quite a few exciting games next year.

Hopefully we will win more games than this season, but we will continue to win games by points rather than goals.

Even early in their careers players such as Isaac Smith, Breust and Gunston showed they had the maturity and foot skills  to enable Hawthorn to demolish the opposition  and have the game won by half time.

I'm tired of waiting for players to 'mature'.  I'd swap Durdin for an 18-year-old Ginnivan in a heartbeat.

Reply #176
Isaac Smith, Breust and Gunston are all skilled, gifted quality players it’s
noticeable from young, a player either has the nous and skill or not, these traits can’t be taught.
 Maturity and body hardness help but only to a point if one is good ordinary player.

Reply #177
If Charlie, Big H, Fisher, Owies and Durdin continue next year with the same brain fades, poor decision making and sub standard kicking for goal when under pressure, clearly shown in the last ten minutes of the game, then we are in for quite a few exciting games next year.

Hopefully we will win more games than this season, but we will continue to win games by points rather than goals.

Even early in their careers players such as Isaac Smith, Breust and Gunston showed they had the maturity and foot skills  to enable Hawthorn to demolish the opposition  and have the game won by half time.

I'm tired of waiting for players to 'mature'.  I'd swap Durdin for an 18-year-old Ginnivan in a heartbeat.

Breust didn't debut till he was 21, Smith was 23 when he played his first game.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #178
Breust didn't debut till he was 21, Smith was 23 when he played his first game.
There it is, it's called player development and historically we have had next to none!

Instead we tend to pump up tyres, overpay, throw them in the deep end to see who floats, then complain about slow or stalled development.

I think our club still until recently anyway, had a downhill culture, given a choice between the certainty of the hard yards and the chance of a quick fix, we go the quick fix on almost every occasion!

Even BB who is known industry wide as a top player development type coach, almost destroyed the list by trying to accelerate youth development through adversity, what didn't kill them made them stronger, except you break a lot in the process and if you get it wrong you break them all! BB needed somebody to reign him in, but instead we chose to avoid the hard discussion and let him hang himself and almost destroy the list.

But I feel things have changed under Voss, he's stopped the rinse and repeat cycle we've been on for almost two decades, we are actually seeing good football out of guys who most fans and I presume many at the club had written off!

Voss knows the key to success is the performance of those at the bottom of the list, not accolades for those at the top!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #179
There's not a shred of evidence anywhere that Bolton destroyed the list by playing kids. I know this is a pet theory of yours, and Lord knows we all have them, but there's no basis for it.

I'm sure if you asked Dow, Setterfield, O'Brien etc. whether they prefer languishing in Magoo no mans land or being given tough assignments playing with the big boys, they would give an obvious answer.