Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone (Read 4978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton AFLW Review

Reply #45
I don't see anything sinister in this outcome (of the review) and resultant change.

I think Harf gave his best with what he had, but with increased professionalism required in the W competition it's pretty logical that a full-time senior coach is required. Balancing 2 demanding careers can only see 1 suffer (or both!).

Harf is a very good media performer and I wish him loadsa luck... A career choice with a better future than as a senior coach!

Now to find a senior coach for the gals with strong leadership credentials.
Choco Williams for mine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Harf Gone

Reply #47
Let's get a woman coach.
What's Daisy Pearce up to...she has some coaching credentials. ;)

Signed on as an assistant at Geelong for 2 years.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Carlton AFLW Review

Reply #48
An interesting selection. I wonder if he'd be interested?
One can only ask.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Re: Harf Gone

Reply #49
Signed on as an assistant at Geelong for 2 years.

Mens or womens?

(Can we perhaps merge the two threads relating to this)

Re: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone

Reply #51
Options....
Get Lauren Arnell back? She is currently PA coach.

I'd be looking at Peta Searle. She was an assistant at AFL (mens) level before becoming St. Kilda AFLW head coach for 7 years. She departed to join the bombers in a part time coaching development role (some kind of Robert Walls/Brendan Bolton thing??)
She has credibility, passion for the game and plenty of experience.

I'd be looking at Kara Antonio from Freo. She's just retired and was a playing coach at Freo last season (forwards). Freo captain since they've been in the comp, AA, leading goalkicker, B+F etc etc.

I doubt you'd pry Daisy Pearce away from Geelongs coaching ranks, but i'd certainly be asking the question there too.

Reply #52
Options....
Get Lauren Arnell back? She is currently PA coach.

I'd be looking at Peta Searle. She was an assistant at AFL (mens) level before becoming St. Kilda AFLW head coach for 7 years. She departed to join the bombers in a part time coaching development role (some kind of Robert Walls/Brendan Bolton thing??)
She has credibility, passion for the game and plenty of experience.

I'd be looking at Kara Antonio from Freo. She's just retired and was a playing coach at Freo last season (forwards). Freo captain since they've been in the comp, AA, leading goalkicker, B+F etc etc.

I doubt you'd pry Daisy Pearce away from Geelongs coaching ranks, but i'd certainly be asking the question there too.

It'd be interesting to know the money that's being offered.
If it's to be a full time position you would think it would be more than Harford was making.

Just using Pearce as an example.
I see it's the Geelong men's side she's assisting with.
A part of that apparently has to do with the AFL accelerated coaching accreditation which allows for a bit of cap relief and guarantees the 'would be' coach some tenure.

In Pearce's case she would probably prefer that option.

I guess the unknowns are these...
Would a full time senior WAFL coach earn more than an assistant coach at AFL level?
The tenure would certainly be guaranteed, the new coach would get at least two years, probably more.

We're after a full timer...Does Daisy plan to continue with her media commitments...an assistants job would probably allow that, not so much the full time coach.

Searle sounds like a reasonably good option with that experience with AFL sides.

It's early day for these roles.
In ten years time we'll have a good bit more experience to choose from.
It doesn't have to be a woman, but it would be good to see more of them gaining the experience, doing their time and getting good results.

I had a woman coach in my sporty days. She was probably the best in the business in her time, especially with the females she coached.

Reply #53
Maybe Harf was only offered part time money ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #54
Not much point if the club tried to spin a version, the bloke they kyboshed works in the media fulltime, he's now front row for RSN, so the club can't hope to compete on airtime or focus.

Hopefully Harf accepts the fulltime coaching gig was mandatory and he goes quietly, we don't want to shoot what girls we have left in the foot with a badly managed exit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Unfortunately, Harf had to go. Over the last couple of years we've started the season very slowly, only being really competitive after losing two or three games. Our fitness levels have not been good enough and our game style required players we no longer had.
That said, he wasn't a bad coach when we had the cattle. In his 1st 2 seasons we were challengers.

Our new coach, whoever it might be, at least will have the full year to get the players he/she wants and the time to develop them. Harf didn't have any time to develop the last for the last season and it showed. Having a full timer will probably help that.
I'm not sure whose fault our lack of fitness was, but we really have to work on that. We can't run out of juice in last quarters like we did in the last couple of seasons.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
Unfortunately, Harf had to go. Over the last couple of years we've started the season very slowly, only being really competitive after losing two or three games. Our fitness levels have not been good enough and our game style required players we no longer had.
That said, he wasn't a bad coach when we had the cattle. In his 1st 2 seasons we were challengers.

Our new coach, whoever it might be, at least will have the full year to get the players he/she wants and the time to develop them. Harf didn't have any time to develop the last for the last season and it showed. Having a full timer will probably help that.
I'm not sure whose fault our lack of fitness was, but we really have to work on that. We can't run out of juice in last quarters like we did in the last couple of seasons.

Fitness thing comes down to a couple of simple things that are both out of his control.

1. Injuries.
2. List size.

With only 30 on the list and 21 playing each week, you don't have much leeway on who to select.  You either play injured players, or play 18yo kids fresh of the draft. Either way, you are playing a player that is not up to AFLW fitness standard. If you lose a few battle hardened bodies every year, which we we doing year on year, you can't simply replace them......especially when one happens to be AFLW MVP, or AFLW leading goalkicker etc.

I feel for Half. He could clearly coach as he got us into a GF. But he's been pushing **it up hill since.

Given we don't have a CBA, a season length, season start, draft date or anything, perhaps its in his best interests to go now and we try and use this 'dead' time to set up the AFLW side of things for the long term.

Reply #57

Crash of the few games I saw, our girls looked clueless. They would hand ball or kick to team mates meters away in a worse position or under more pressure. Skills wise I reckon our mob is the worst in the comp, that's all on Harf I'm afraid.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #58
Harf had to go purely on the departing talent.

Half the job is keeping everyone invested.

If they don't want to be here year in and year out thats an issue at coach level and it might very well be about being available for his players.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
Harf had to go purely on the departing talent.

Nah, I blame that on the half ass rules the AFL set up which allowed the new clubs to pilfer the crap out of the established club like ours. Given the pittance the girls are paid (again an AFL park up), big offers from the new clubs were impossible to refuse.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th