Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6560 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
I'm safely assuming it's Jack Silvagni.

How did he get injured?

Last thing i remember seeing was him grabbing the ball out of the ruck, sprinting towards goal, kicking it, then running off the ground. Then i don't remember seeing him again. Did he do it running off the ground??

Reply #31
How did he get injured?

Last thing i remember seeing was him grabbing the ball out of the ruck, sprinting towards goal, kicking it, then running off the ground. Then i don't remember seeing him again. Did he do it running off the ground??

Not sure sorry. I was listening on the wireless.

Reply #32
I thought I heard Jack injuring his knee. Didn’t think it was his hamstring. That would be Walsh. I wouldn’t suggest we bring any players back that are not 100%. We are likely to lose against the Pies. It might pay to rest a few. Giving us a better chance to have a shot against the remaining games which are all potential wins. Three of them if we come out with an aggressive attitude. Might be enough for a top 8 finish. I hope we are competitive against the Pies, but I won’t be devastated if we lose. Only if we get smashed.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #33
The Pies get so much of their aura from the fact that they keep getting up off the floor when it looks like they are cooked.

But, in all of those games, they did actually end up a fair way behind.  Therein lies the opportunity. There will come a time when they get behind and cannot get back.  They are far from invincible, and are probably due to have a flat one after last week's massive game. 

Having said that, I don't think we can get them this week.  Timing is just not right yet.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #34
The Pies get so much of their aura from the fact that they keep getting up off the floor when it looks like they are cooked.

But, in all of those games, they did actually end up a fair way behind.  Therein lies the opportunity. There will come a time when they get behind and cannot get back.  They are far from invincible, and are probably due to have a flat one after last week's massive game. 

Having said that, I don't think we can get them this week.  Timing is just not right yet.

Agree but then there is a little part of me that worries maybe they are even better then we give them credit for. To win so many of their games in high pressure last quarters coming from behind builds enormous mental strength. Furthermore they have such high level of game awareness knowing which levers to pull at certain stages that their opposition can’t help but feel the pressure of the situation regardless if they are leading on the scoreboard or behind.

Only a horrendous run with injuries from now till GF day will be their undoing.  As much as it pains me to say it nothing else will stop then this year.

As far as this week goes a respectable loss (under 6 goals) so our confidence is not damaged and no new injuries and that’s a tick from me.

Reply #35
Jack may be 'season ending' according to a few reports.
Word I have is, it is. Will be getting some work done. Another meniscus I believe. The curse continues.

Reply #36
Agree but then there is a little part of me that worries maybe they are even better then we give them credit for. To win so many of their games in high pressure last quarters coming from behind builds enormous mental strength. Furthermore they have such high level of game awareness knowing which levers to pull at certain stages that their opposition can’t help but feel the pressure of the situation regardless if they are leading on the scoreboard or behind.

Only a horrendous run with injuries from now till GF day will be their undoing.  As much as it pains me to say it nothing else will stop then this year.

As far as this week goes a respectable loss (under 6 goals) so our confidence is not damaged and no new injuries and that’s a tick from me.

Winning those close ones from behind isn't as easy in finals, as they found last year. They fall behind too much. If that was Carlton coming from behind we'd all asking why we keep falling behind in the first place. As some stage you just won't be able to lift.

Reply #37
You would have to think that the way they play and the positions they get themselves into means that a loss is coming somewhere for them between now and the end of the year.
Their strength is their 'come from behind' belief.
Their weakness is that they get in that position in the first place.

It's funny but the stronger our side looks going into the game  the less our chances of pulling off the win may be.
If they think we're 'wounded' they may not be as prepared mentally as they would be facing a full strength side.
The "who's playing, who's not" also messes with their planning and matchups a bit.

That reinforces my feeling we should play our 'best fully fit' side rather than taking any chances with injured players, even if the injuries are minor.

Reply #38
I can't believe how negative a lot are here!
I think we can win, and win well!!!
We are no longer reliant on Crips & co to win.
We are playing really good team football.
We have enough skilled players to cover the ones who will be missing.
Blues by 45 for me!!!

Reply #39
On First Crack they showed all the teams that challenge Collingwood are good at keeping the ball in their forward half. We were poor at this until 5 weeks ago.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
I can't believe how negative a lot are here!
I think we can win, and win well!!!
We are no longer reliant on Crips & co to win.
We are playing really good team football.
We have enough skilled players to cover the ones who will be missing.
Blues by 45 for me!!!

I love the optimism and the positivity, but that's a big call. 

Reply #41
The next man up mantra will be interesting this week with Cripps, Cerra, Martin and Owies good chances to return (according to Vossy).  Our ins could mean a stronger 22.

While Collingwood has good reason to be confident in their ability to win close games, their propensity to get in such situations makes them vulnerable.  Regardless of who comes into our 22, we are very good chance to win if we start well and can keep the pill in our forward half.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Regardless of who comes into our 22, we are very good chance to win if we start well and can keep the pill in our forward half.

Provided we select 22 players who are willing and able to play both ways.

Reply #43
Yes given Voss was talking about expecting "all three back" vs Coll in reference to Cripps, Martin and Cerra.
Yes given Voss was talking about expecting "all three back" vs Coll in reference to Cripps, Martin and Cerra.

Youd have to think that all 3 were pretty much rested.  minor niggles that they would have played with against a real opposition

Reply #44
I heard on the radio all 3 are still in doubt for this week.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!