Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 5088 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #120
re Cerra...
The biggest 'red flag' was his kicking. "couldn't hit the side of a barn"
I think he missed some sitters 30m in front of goal against us too.

Who needs a midfielder who can't kick?
We already have Cripps and Ed Curnow.
etc

Certainly were issues re pick 6, but that was about his kicking as much as anything

Reply #121
Now all of a sudden he was a gun?
What do games against us have to do with it?

Cerra was always a gun, any other claims a spurious. Fans write stuff to degrade player perceptions because they have personal reasons, they might think they are over-priced (Se McGovern), they fear for their favourite's spot on the list (See SoJ), they want somebody else (See Bont), but the opinions don't make the assessments realistic.

Reality is Melbourne club's were falling over themselves to get Cerra's signature, but he only wanted to come to Carlton and it was rightly reported as a coo!

Gresham's going to compete for the 3rd or 4th slot in F50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
As I recall, many people were concerned that we'd pay overs for Cerra and lots complained that pick 6 was too much (I think I was among them).  I don't think there was much opposition to adding Cerra to our list; he was already a genuine and developing talent.
This is exactly correct, and I doubt anybody genuinely questioned Cerra's football ability other than in a futile attempt to try and talk down his price / cost!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Cerra and Walsh are same age - they will be bossing the midfield next 10 years,

Reply #124
Cerra and Walsh are same age - they will be bossing the midfield next 10 years,
I was also surprised to read how young Kemp was, he's been around so long I thought of him as mid 20s but he's in the AFL 22 under 22, still 2 or 3 years away from peak performance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
I was also surprised to read how young Kemp was, he's been around so long I thought of him as mid 20s but he's in the AFL 22 under 22, still 2 or 3 years away from peak performance!

He's done very well Kempy. Good thing is now after eight years of list development we can bring in kids in a performing team that has non negotiable standards. So going to the draft this year again makes perfect sense.

Reply #126
He's done very well Kempy. Good thing is now after eight years of list development we can bring in kids in a performing team that has non negotiable standards. So going to the draft this year again makes perfect sense.
Yep, as fans we all too often write players off well before their time, it's a flaw of being too invested in the team result ahead of player development.

btw., I also think it's a historical failing of our club, we've been too impatient in the past and let good players go simply because they didn't deliver fast enough, this is where I think our club's player development has failed. We had that "Carlton do not rebuild!" attitude and it hurt us badly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
Yep, as fans we all too often write players off well before their time, it's a flaw of being to invested in the team result ahead of player development.

btw., I also think it's a historical failing of our club, we've been too impatient in the past and let good players go simply because they didn't deliver fast enough, this is where I think our club's player development has failed. We had that "Carlton do not rebuild!" attitude and it hurt us badly!

🤣
I thought we hung on to list cloggers until they had zero value and then delisted them, I can’t keep up… 🙄
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #128
🤣
I thought we hung on to list cloggers until they had zero value and then delisted them, I can’t keep up… 🙄
Wind Blows!

I've even noticed @LordLucifer softening in recent weeks, if @spf gets on here and starts considering re-signing some players I'm going to leave the building!- ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
🤣
We do....and we usually re-sign players to overs deals who perform in the last year of their contract and then regret it later....

Reply #130
What do games against us have to do with it?

We are talking about Gresham after his game against us.

We talked about Cerra after his game against us.

This place kinda records those conversations so we can look it up.

If i said, go and look at what people said about Cerra after his game against North Melbourne, you wouldn't be able to find anything now would you.

For someone who can be so fastidious at times, you can clearly miss the obvious right in front of your face sometimes.