Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 5523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #135
That was the point though, with Petty out, they will need to lockdown on an opponent. Are we giving them an 'easy kill' by allowing May to play on TDK, and still being able to sag off and help out lever on Charlie?

Who would May play on if TDK wasn't there?

If they use TDK in that forward role it will probably be with instructions to draw his opponent far away from Charlie.
But that will also rely on Tom creating a semblance of a contest that means he has to be watched.
The strength of our forward line has been its variety and it might be that a player like Jack Martin causes them a few concerns.

Reply #136
Watched the highlights of last time we played them. May played on Charlie and Tomlinson played on Harry.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #137
That was the point though, with Petty out, they will need to lockdown on an opponent. Are we giving them an 'easy kill' by allowing May to play on TDK, and still being able to sag off and help out lever on Charlie?

Who would May play on if TDK wasn't there?
As MBB pointed out I think May will play on Charlie and that will leave Lever to handle the remaining talls ie TDK.
May I think is first choice on any taller KP player and if TDK wasnt down forward I think Lever would be the one to play on a smaller marking forward but from what I have watched of Melbourne in recent weeks I think their new kid McVee will take Martin who is probably the next best marking target after Charlie if TDK is off the ground or rucking. I dont expect Pittonet to spend much time forward in a resting role and would see him as our starting ruckman who will do most of the work early then give way to TDK later in the game unless we are getting smacked badly in the ruck and have to move TDK in there for more early minutes.

Reply #138
Good opportunity for our small forwards to have a massive impact on this game. Charlie has been great but the introduction of Fogarty, Cunners and Martin has  completely changed how this team has been performing.

Reply #139
Fisher is playing the McGovern role. Kicker out of defence
Fishers role as that loose rebounding half back will need to be looked at closely this week, Melbournes smaller/mid sized forwards are not the type of players you can play off kick chasing and expect your teammates to cover all the time. The other defenders are going to have their hands full and it will be interesting who they choose for Fisher to play on. I expect Saad to be tagged as has become the norm and other players like Newman to be given the responsibility of players like Petracca and Pickett so Fisher might be tested on his ability to defend a bit more one on one this game with less help.

Reply #140
As MBB pointed out I think May will play on Charlie and that will leave Lever to handle the remaining talls ie TDK.
May I think is first choice on any taller KP player and if TDK wasnt down forward I think Lever would be the one to play on a smaller marking forward but from what I have watched of Melbourne in recent weeks I think their new kid McVee will take Martin who is probably the next best marking target after Charlie if TDK is off the ground or rucking. I dont expect Pittonet to spend much time forward in a resting role and would see him as our starting ruckman who will do most of the work early then give way to TDK later in the game unless we are getting smacked badly in the ruck and have to move TDK in there for more early minutes.

Tomlinson isn't tall enough for TDK
and
May isn't fir enough to stick with Charlie.

If that is the plan from the Dees, i'd park TDK in the goal square and tell him not to move.
I'd have Charlie playing up around the wing running up and back and blowing May up.

By the end of the game, we can switch Charlie deep forward and May will be too stuffed to stay with him.
In the meantime, bomb it on TDKs head if he takes it, good, if not, small forwards galore.

Reply #141
Wet conditions, will slow the game up with more stoppages, should favour us.

Reply #142
I don't see Tomlinson in Dees side
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.