Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Season Hit Out vs Geelong (Read 3366 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Season Hit Out vs Geelong

Reply #60
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1494215/what-they-said-hamill-on-backline-mix-match-simulation-debrief
I'll save yourself 11 minutes.

All injured players have some milestones they need to tick off and its a high performance question on when they'll be ready.
You're welcome.

Gee I like Sammy Hamill. Love to see him at the club for a long time. Excellent thinker and communicator.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #61
How the fark does H spend a whole summer working on his goal kicking only to miss sodas from 15m on the very ground he practices on every day?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
How the fark does H spend a whole summer working on his goal kicking only to miss sodas from 15m on the very ground he practices on every day?
He gets too close to the man on the mark usually then panics
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
Like others I thought Kemp badly needed the gallop, most did some good things and Ed’s commentary was interesting from a Carlton perspective
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #64
He gets too close to the man on the mark usually then panics
I noticed he marked a spot well in front of the man on the when taking shots today. I'm guessing that was the point he intended to kick from...he might need to rejudge that position if he's getting too close.

Reply #65
I noticed he marked a spot well in front of the man on the when taking shots today. I'm guessing that was the point he intended to kick from...he might need to rejudge that position if he's getting too close.

Its not rocket science. He can kick the ball around the ground just fine. Just pick a spot behind the goal, a person on the crowd of you can, and kick it to them. Forget about the goals, kick out it to your mate and the goals will take care of themselves.

Reply #66
Its not rocket science. He can kick the ball around the ground just fine. Just pick a spot behind the goal, a person on the crowd of you can, and kick it to them. Forget about the goals, kick out it to your mate and the goals will take care of themselves.

Yep.
It's not rocket science.
It's Goalkicking 101.
It's how we were taught to kick for goals 50 years ago.
So you would have to think in  the scheme of things that the suggestion has been made to Harry and he's tried it many times.

The problem isn't with the theory. It's with the execution.
It's the little man in his head.
Harry is a reasonably accurate and reliable kicker in general play.
There are two variables between field kicking. in general play. on the run and in the clear...and a set shot kick for goal.

The first is the difference between a straight approach and the around the corner one.
You don't often see an 'around the corner' kick in general play.
Immediately that's a decision that Harry has to make, when lining up for goal, which introduces a "something to think about"
He'd probably be better sticking with just one.
Eliminate the choice.
One less thing to occupy his thought process.

Secondly,in general play, a lot of Harry's accurate kicks are often on the run in the clear.
No "man on the mark".
Another thing to think about.
In training, I wonder whether Harry is practicing these numerous shots on goal with a man on the mark.

Reply #67
Yep.
It's not rocket science.
It's Goalkicking 101.
It's how we were taught to kick for goals 50 years ago.
So you would have to think in  the scheme of things that the suggestion has been made to Harry and he's tried it many times.

There are two variables between field kicking. in general play. on the run and in the clear...and a set shot kick for goal.

The first is the difference between a straight approach and the around the corner one.
You don't often see an 'around the corner' kick in general play.
Immediately that's a decision that Harry has to make, when lining up for goal, which introduces a "something to think about"
He'd probably be better sticking with just one.
Eliminate the choice.
One less thing to occupy his thought process.

Secondly,in general play, a lot of Harry's accurate kicks are often on the run in the clear.
No "man on the mark".
Another thing to think about.
In training, I wonder whether Harry is practicing these numerous shots on goal with a man on the mark.

In ideal situations that man on the mark will also be reminding Harry about the bit of “chewy on his boot” 🤣 match simulation 👍🏼
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #68
It doesn't help the more people pile on and bang on about it, we might think he doesn't hear or read it but he does. You just have to listen to his social media stuff to know how much it impacts him, directly and indirectly through his family and friends who are forced to listen to the bullcrap fans hand out in the stands.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Field kicking is not a useful measure, don't let that suck you in, especially when BigH tends to be kicking longer.

The AFL moving targets cover so much ground really only Harry knows whether his kick was marked where he intended. For AFL players on the lead it is just two steps less or more, and those two steps are more than the difference between centre of the goals and a behind.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Something to watch out for, and I haven't paid much attention to it....
When Harry takes a mark downfield, and not in a shot at goal, does he run a bit of an arc on the man on the mark to take him out of the equation?

Does that differ to his 'straight' shots on goal... as opposed to his round the corner shots which are on an arc.

Reply #71
It doesn't help the more people pile on and bang on about it, we might think he doesn't hear or read it but he does. You just have to listen to his social media stuff to know how much it impacts him, directly and indirectly through his family and friends who are forced to listen to the bullcrap fans hand out in the stands.

There's only one way he'll stop the specualtion.
Fix the problem.

Reply #72
His biggest mistake was listening to people tell him not to kick around the corner.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
Field kicking is not a useful measure, don't let that suck you in, especially when BigH tends to be kicking longer.

The AFL moving targets cover so much ground really only Harry knows whether his kick was marked where he intended. For AFL players on the lead it is just two steps less or more, and those two steps are more than the difference between centre of the goals and a behind.

With field kicking he puts it to a position where the player will/can run onto the ball.
The target will often determine the accuracy by getting to the ball....that's true.
But if it's an accurate enough kick to get in that general space it's an accurate enough kick to get within cooee of the goal posts.
Some of Harry's misses are well wide of the mark and poorly executed.
It's an issue because it has at times been a momentum killer for us.
You can't hide from that.

McKay is too good a player in general play to not be in our best 22.
The solutions are for him to improve his goal-kicking to his Coleman days or find a position a bit further away from goal
And KPD might be the best option.

Reply #74
I think part of the problem here is that we've been told pre-season the efforts Harry has been making to address his goalkicking issues.
Now yesterday he was amongst our best.
I actually thought he was our best.

But the goalkicking was pretty much the same 'hit and miss'.