Skip to main content
Topic: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3358 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #61
Looked a bit proppy at the end of the game.
That's going to be the issue....but we knew that.
Looked like cramp
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
Still 35 degrees hopefully just cramps.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63
Gawn v Carlton

Boyd, Cunningham, Cincotta, Young, Pittonet, Fantasia

Look like they are deadwood to me unfortunately.

Happy to give them a full season but on that game they were woeful. Can cut Fantasia some slack but not the rest.

Reply #64
Who was the genius that gave Pittonet a four year deal

Reply #65
I thought De Koning did OK.
The new rule is going to suit Gawn down to the ground and he'll be a real force
Tom got the ball a couple of times where things he tried didn't quite come off but he battled really well. He was getting hands to the ball.

I think what we look for in these practice games is who is doing something a bit different.
Have they added another string to their bow.
I can see some improvement in Tom...(Gawn rates him too).

Against that we look for areas where a player hasn't picked up.
Harry's kicking is the easy target, but gee he's been good in general play, and has shown he can do a bit of relief rucking.

Thing that concerns me just a little is I don't see too many others who look a lot different to their 2023 form

...but now for the real stuff.

Reply #66
My Rd 1 team based on the past two games.

B: Docherty   Kemp   Newman
HB: Billy      Gov       Saad
C:  Acres   Cripps    Hollands
HF: Fogarty   McKay  Binns
F:  Fantasia   Charlie   Motlop
R: TDK   Hewett  Cerra
IC: Cottrell,  Big Durds, Kennedy, Moir

Reply #68
Don't forget, after the way they finished last season, and the very forgettable summer they have had, Melbourne had a bit to prove tonight.  When you're trying to show your members all is well so they'll sign up again, I am sure you go a bit harder.

It was clear they played with a much higher intensity than us, but I don't think that's a true reflection of where both sides are at.  A few of our players were in second gear (maybe 38 degrees was the main reason).

Having said that, I think our chances of rolling Brisbane next week are pretty limited.  If we can win 2 of our first three, I will be more than happy.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #69
It was only a practice match but it was concerning. If we don't play with intensity we will be back where we were before the second half of the season. I think we have the potential to go all the way but we have to turn up to play. We will know more next week.

Reply #70
Lots of people mentioning "intensity" ie lack of it, I dont get it. To me what stood out was that we lacked Fluency/Connection/Synergy between each line moving the ball. Chains were a rarity. That and the TO's murdered us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
I haven't heard anyone mention Cerra.  I know walsh is injured but these two have become key for our team.  Minus Kennedy wouldn't have helped either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
Guys relax its a practice match. They key is game time getting run into the legs and avoiding injuries.

This group knows exactly what its capable of and these nothing games are not where you put the hammer down as pushing to the limit is when you increase the chance of a soft tissue injury. You build into the season not go flat stick in a game that is meaningless.

We won alot of games in the second half of the season off pure guts, second efforts and wanting it more then out opposition. Drop the intensity even by 10% and we drop to a mid tier team at best.

The intensity will be back up once there is 4 points on the line and we will again be a hard team to beat.

Reply #73
Lots of people mentioning "intensity" ie lack of it, I dont get it. To me what stood out was that we lacked Fluency/Connection/Synergy between each line moving the ball. Chains were a rarity. That and the TO's murdered us.

That could partly be put down to key personnel missing on each line.
Weitering, Walsh the two Jacks etc

In their absence other players have to take on extra roles and burdens rather than their usual roles.

Reply #74
For people complaining about our preseason game, here is something for you:
https://youtu.be/ESMx3YAXWeE?si=xj-UsoJpNtDNaXBF

When Carlton won the grand final and hopes were high. Fev kicked 8. The game also featured both the current (at the time) and future club captains.