Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Australian Open  (Read 65047 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Australian Open

Reply #150
How can the greatest player of the modern era  (RF) have an opponent lurking around who has a 22 / 10  winning record against him??  The stas aren't even close.  Where does that leave Rafa?

Bit of arrogance from Roger. Early on, Rafa wasn't good enough to take him on in surfaces other than clay. By the time Rafa started to adapt his game to the other surface the mental edge was established. Roger then refused to change his game to beat Rafa.

Reply #151
Jim Courier makes the point that in 2008, when Rafa beat Federer in the Australian Open and also in Wimbledon, Federer was suffering from Glandular Fever or at least its after-effects.  Courier says that it was remarkable that Federer won the US Open in that year. 

Reply #152
When is the AFL moving to a Hawkeye system?

Reply #153
Roger needs to win one of these long rallies.

Reply #154
Roger needs to win one of these long rallies.

Roger is done. Game over. Nadal wins the first set means game is finished. I knew Fed would choke with his service game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #155
I knew Fed would choke with his service game.

He hasn't actually lost a service game yet. It's a bit harsh to say he's chocked it.

Few stray backhands and that's the set.

Reply #156
I knew Fed would choke with his service game.

He hasn't actually lost a service game yet. It's a bit harsh to say he's chocked it.

Few stray backhands and that's the set.

2 sets to nil. He is about to go out in straight sets. Better off to retire this year, before he becomes a has been. I thought his coach Edberg said he has all the tools to become the number one ranked male tennis player ?

Reply #157
I think he's playing pretty well, Rafa is just better but it's not by much.

Reply #158
I think he's playing pretty well, Rafa is just better but it's not by much.

Probably, but Rafa has a blister which is now bare raw flesh on his hand the size of a 50 cent coin. Imagine if his hand was good. Murray lost with a dodgey back and ankle straps, which really restricted his running ability to Fed and not a convincing loss. Old man that I loved more than any tennis player ever, and still do is out of his league. If he goes down in the last set and its 3 sets to nill, its a spanking. I don't care how close in each set it is. Its not semi final grand slam quality at all. He just doesn't have the aggressive nature he needs through an entire match and tries to get too cute. Saying that I think he just broke Rafas serve. Back soon buddy for one last hope. ;)

Reply #159
I agree that Roger needs to learn to win ugly, its like hed rather lose than not have people in awe. But he is playing some good shots and in lots of rallies. Don't see why he'd give it away when making semis.

Reply #160
I agree that Roger needs to learn to win ugly, its like hed rather lose than not have people in awe. But he is playing some good shots and in lots of rallies. Don't see why he'd give it away when making semis.

I really can't wait to see Kokkinakis, Kyrios, Dimitrov and Tomic all mature and be guns in a few years time. These guys have potential beyond belief. Federer, I will enjoy some points here and there, but as I stated in a thread a long time ago, will never, ever win another grand slam, ever in his life again. Never. 3-0 in this one is about as bad as the other 4 kids above would have done, and they don't have the experience Fed has. So Fed move on and let the younger kids have a chance.

I can only hope Wawrinka can take it to Rafa. I don't like Rafa and never did. Go Stan, but on that note I probably jinxed him, and he will lose for certain now. :(

Reply #161
Absolute shocker from Roger - from the very first point when he sprayed a backhand long off a Nadal 3-4 serve......

Choking is being polite - he is Rafa's bunny.

All the confidence, aggression, system, even power seen in the Tsonga and most of the Murray match out the window.

50 unforced errors. Most shanks.

Whatever his plan was to try and beat Nadal, he left it in the locker room.

Kudos Nadal.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #162
If Rafa wins tomorrow night I believe he becomes only the second man (Laver being the first) to have won every slam twice. He will go to 14 slams, only 3 behind Federer who probably is done. And he's only 27. Also has absolutely dominated the player many believe to be the greatest ever.

Pretty good chance he will be the recognised as the greatest when he retires.

Reply #163
The difference between Rasfa and Roger (from Rafa's post match interview):

Q.  You served almost exclusively to his backhand.  Is that knowledge you require by knowing him so well, playing him so many times?
RAFAEL NADAL:  I serve what I can serve.  I serve at the position that I feel that I will have the chance to start better the point.  And today I felt that serving against his backhand I had the chance to start the point with little bit of an advantage.  That's what I tried.

If that didn't work, so I will change.  I will try to play the serve, you know, more combined.  But was working well because I didn't had many breakpoints against.  The serve that I lost was in the third, 2 1, I think, I lost that serve because I played bad from the baseline, not because of the serve.

Fed thinks he can win playing his way (OR NO WAY) - stylishly! With 99% of players he gets away with that.

Rafa will do what it takes to win.... the playing ugly thing.

Fed's ground strokes look 20% loopier - and slower - when playing Nadal as if he feels that this is how he can win against the bull? (not)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #164
The worst part about having Rafa win this slam will be having to put up with that stupid grin. 

Also what pisses me off about tennis is how easily amused the crowds are...players could probably say they're declaring nuclear war on our country and the crowd would still end up in hysterics.